Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbookpro00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
Hey,
I would like to know if the iPad really IS helpful in education or is the information about it being educational is over exaggeration.
I want to get the new iPad this summer and I would like to know if it will help me with my education or do you recommend me another tablet.
ps: I don't need a laptop as I already have a macbook pro
thanks!!

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
Hey,
I would like to know if the iPad really IS helpful in education or is the information about it being educational is over exaggeration.
I want to get the new iPad this summer and I would like to know if it will help me with my education or do you recommend me another tablet.
thanks!!

It would help to know what level you're talking about - high school? College?

When I think of it being "educational" I think of the many apps that are designed for K-12 classrooms, and in that case it's more the school doing the purchasing. If you're thinking of one for college, it's mostly the ability to carry your readings in a convenient way, take notes in class (especially if you like taking handwritten notes or need to draw a lot of diagrams and equations in your notes), etc.

macbookpro00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
oh sorry forgot to mention
I am in high school doing GCSEs to be more exact

----------

It would help to know what level you're talking about - high school? College?

When I think of it being "educational" I think of the many apps that are designed for K-12 classrooms, and in that case it's more the school doing the purchasing. If you're thinking of one for college, it's mostly the ability to carry your readings in a convenient way, take notes in class (especially if you like taking handwritten notes or need to draw a lot of diagrams and equations in your notes), etc.

Cool,but will it really limit my needs of a laptop and will it help if I use it instead of many school textbooks?

porcupine8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 2, 2011
oh sorry forgot to mention
I am in high school doing GCSEs to be more exact

----------

Cool,but will it really limit my needs of a laptop and will it help if I use it instead of many school textbooks?

Well, it depends on if your school uses books that are available for the iPad. You should probably contact your district's technology office and see what their recommendations are for iPads, or talk to other students in your school who have them.

With a Bluetooth keyboard and Pages, you can easily write high school-level papers on an iPad, I'm assuming that's the main thing you use a laptop for.

macbookpro00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
The school uses some books that are in the iPad but the main thing I want the iPad for is to download past papers (pdfs) write some notes from time to time and to organize my time.
Also I want something to keep me entertained when I take the bus/metro and when I travel:D
So what you think can the iPad be a good companion?:eek:

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
Also I want something to keep me entertained when I take the bus/metro and when I travel:D

The iPad is not ideal for entertainment during subway/bus rides imo. I don't feel comfortable holding a large 800$ screen while standing elbow to elbow next to beggars and weirdos.

I use my phone or kindle for those rides.

Mercury6

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2012
Lebanon
I don't think it's that useful if you're in high school. I'm in med school and I do find it useful... it's also very entertaining when I am bored in class :cool:

macbookpro00

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 3, 2011
The iPad is not ideal for entertainment during subway/bus rides imo. I don't feel comfortable holding a large 800$ screen while standing elbow to elbow next to beggars and weirdos.

I use my phone or kindle for those rides.

I have to admit that you got a point there:apple:

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Hey,
thanks!!

It depends on you, your course of study, the educational environment, etc. Could you tell us more?

In my case, at university:
(1) I use it a lot as a PDF reader for articles I download (JSTOR and ProjectMuse) and books/articles I scan myself, so with Dropbox, I carry around more materials in the palm of my hand than you might find in your local library (many thousand). The fact that you can search through hundreds of them at a time (assuming you have downloaded them, made them searchable with optical character recognition if necessary, and purchased the right app) makes it a powerful tool.
(2) I use it to create content. Using the external keyboard, I take notes, write papers, etc. With the stylus, I take handwritten notes in classes, talks, and meetings.
(3) I use it to find things. In combination with Evernote (an app), I have every note I have ever taken on every book and every class, plus I have many of my most often-used PDFs available through Evernote as well (it searches PDFs too).

With the exception of handwitten notes, you could do all of this with your MBP, but the difference is battery life, portability (it is always with me), portrait mode (good for reading), and light weight. Some people find it just sits and gathers dust. Others, like me, end up using it about 90% of the time. My "backpack" is a tiny man bag with the Apple external keyboard and a stylus. It beats lugging around books :)

classicaliberal

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2011
It's a fun social experiment to watch people try to logically justify their desired purchases. ;)

I do it all the time. Most of us do.

Varia

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
I currently own an iPad 3 and it has helped me out so much with my schoolwork and homework. I am in high school and I used to have to carry around an immensely heavy backpack. With the iPad I was able to throw out my binder (which I later replaced with a much lighter accordion folder to hold random assignments) and 4 of my notebooks except for my Geometry notebook because my teacher is a techno nazi. I use Pages for everything from notes (mostly notes) to school assignments and homework. I had to ask my teachers but they were okay with me emailing all of the stuff that I work on. Paper is another good app to use, especially if you are taking a science class and you have to draw something from time to time. I would not bother with a keyboard because it is just another thing to carry around. It takes a little bit of getting used to, but I am able to type as fast on the iPad keyboard as I can on a physical keyboard. Just get a smart cover because it is definitely an essential accessory for typing on a desk.

kds786

macrumors regular
Jun 25, 2010
Tennessee
We integrated iPads into our high school last year and they work very well. You just have to be responsible and make sure it doesn't distract you.

iceblade

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2008
I think it can definitely be a good tool, depending on your course of study and how you use it.

I am currently in a business program and plan to use mine for presentation and group projects (still looking at buying one though). Following my time in the business program I will probably be getting into law or something medical, and I think it'll be very useful in either of those pursuits (or if I even decide to forego further schooling and get a job with my business degree).

My father is a graduate education professor and the education college at the university he is at purchased 20+ iPads for his student's use, because they're so helpful and being used so much in education.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.