Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
England
Amazing app for British iPad owners that turns an iPad into a Freeview TV receiver. Why isn't this better known?

http://tvcatchup.com/ipad.html

I think it only works with certain ISPs however, but I can't find a list anywhere.

Are there any other hidden gems for British iPad users?

Elise

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2007
London
Are you serious? TV catchup has been around for eons, I thought it was quite common knowledge! Bless :D

Rodster

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2007
As the previous poster wanted to say. Welcome to the 21st century. :)

I've been watching free Live TV programming from around the world on the Web the last 5 years.

McGiord

macrumors 601
Oct 5, 2003
Dark Castle
As the previous poster wanted to say. Welcome to the 21st century. :)

I've been watching free Live TV programming from around the world on the Web the last 5 years.

Please share what other services you access? What countries? Channels?
Thanks

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
Are you serious? TV catchup has been around for eons, I thought it was quite common knowledge! Bless :D

Yep, and it is one way people avoid paying their TV tax and unplug from sat and cable providers. Btw, I unplugged nearly 3 years ago and used this website.

Another way to watch ota TV from the US is via http://www.ustvnow.com

colwal

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
Several wags have been selling that URL on eBay for years...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313&_nkw=freeview+iphone

The going rate is about a quid, r-sparks. :)

BTW: it's not actually an app., rather just a mobile website.

Nope it is an app in the app store fully approved by Apple http://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/watch-tv-free-live-tvcatchup/id427900675?mt=8

Yep, and it is one way people avoid paying their TV tax and unplug from sat and cable providers. Btw, I unplugged nearly 3 years ago and used this website.

Another way to watch ota TV from the US is via http://www.ustvnow.com

Not too sure how you can as TVCatchup.com is geo-blocked to the UK only.

sadievan

macrumors regular
Jun 20, 2010
Does anyone know where I can stream the show 'Waking the Dead'? Netflix used to have it but now they only have the first season.

Carol

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
What does TVCatchup offer that's not available from the BBC iPlayer? I use that here in the US via VPN and a browser.

I haven't tried switching to the UK iTunes Store. Do you need a valid UK address to do that? Is it easy to switch back and forth between the US and UK stores?

afd

macrumors 65816
Apr 12, 2005
Scotland
What does TVCatchup offer that's not available from the BBC iPlayer? I use that here in the US via VPN and a browser.

I haven't tried switching to the UK iTunes Store. Do you need a valid UK address to do that? Is it easy to switch back and forth between the US and UK stores?

BBC iplayer shows only their shows, TVCatchup shows live telly from BBC, ITV, channel 4 and 5 and other less interesting channels.
It used to be easy to switch store accounts but now apple limit you to switching once every couple of months or so on your iOS device.

Bob Coxner

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2011
Got some odd results. Using my VPN (Witopia) and iPad I was able to signup for TVCatchup and watch programming. However, when I tried to watch on my MBA I got a message saying it was limited to the UK. I know the VPN was working correctly on the MBA since I could use BBC iPlayer.

Live tv isn't that important to me. I live in the DVR world. That means TVCatchup is of limited use to me, while the iPlayer is fantastic.

Edit: I spoke too soon. I was able to sign up without any problem but now it's telling me that my ISP (Witopia) is not compatible when I try to watch on my iPad. The same result on my MBA. Odd that TVCatchup doesn't like my VPN but the BBC has no problem with it.

Further update: it looks like TVCatchup is selling it's own VPN and blocking all others. http://tvcatchup-scam.blogspot.com/2010/03/wow-tvcatchupcom-ukvpnnet.html

Last edited:

colwal

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
Isn't that what my original message said? I was wondering why people seemed to blase about it.

It's an app that turns your iPad into a freakin' Freeview TV! For free! You don't even have to register!

No as you quoted the web page not the app - there is a difference, especially as you were quoted as saying ti wasn't an app. Did you check the link in my post?

Got some odd results. Using my VPN (Witopia) and iPad I was able to signup for TVCatchup and watch programming. However, when I tried to watch on my MBA I got a message saying it was limited to the UK. I know the VPN was working correctly on the MBA since I could use BBC iPlayer.

Live tv isn't that important to me. I live in the DVR world. That means TVCatchup is of limited use to me, while the iPlayer is fantastic.

Edit: I spoke too soon. I was able to sign up without any problem but now it's telling me that my ISP (Witopia) is not compatible when I try to watch on my iPad. The same result on my MBA. Odd that TVCatchup doesn't like my VPN but the BBC has no problem with it.

Further update: it looks like TVCatchup is selling it's own VPN and blocking all others. http://tvcatchup-scam.blogspot.com/2010/03/wow-tvcatchupcom-ukvpnnet.html

TVCatchup does not sell its own VPN as that old wives tale that was put around by a disgruntled VPN seller who could no longer sell VPN's to circumnavigate geo-blocking after TVCatchup blocked all hosters. Quite amusing actually :)

Last edited:

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Amazing app for British iPad owners that turns an iPad into a Freeview TV receiver. Why isn't this better known?

http://tvcatchup.com/ipad.html

I think it only works with certain ISPs however, but I can't find a list anywhere.

Are there any other hidden gems for British iPad users?

This app is very well know (22360 Reviews), everyone I know who has an iPad has it installed. Strangely enough I don't really use it as prefer the On-Demand type services such as BBC iPlayer, 4OD and ITV Player (although ITV Player is pretty lousy for content and quality of encodes).

Last edited:

r-sparks

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 1, 2006
England
No as you quoted the web page not the app - there is a difference, especially as you were quoted as saying ti wasn't an app. Did you check the link in my post?

Nope! Here's what I said, which you can verify by reading the top-most posting:

Amazing app for British iPad owners

To make it really easy for you:

Amazing —>app<— for British iPad owners

And I linked to the developer's web page for the —>app<— (not the TV service!) because I was on my iPad and couldn't figure out how to create a link straight to the App Store.

----------

This app is very well know (223588 Reviews), everyone I know who has an iPad has it installed.

Well I didn't know of it, not do any of my friends who have iPads, and nor did one or two people who have replied in this very thread.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
Nope! Here's what I said, which you can verify by reading the top-most posting:

Amazing app for British iPad owners

To make it really easy for you:

Amazing —>app<— for British iPad owners

And I linked to the developer's web page for the —>app<— (not the TV service!) because I was on my iPad and couldn't figure out how to create a link straight to the App Store.

----------

Well I didn't know of it, not do any of my friends who have iPads, and nor did one or two people who have replied in this very thread.

Really cannot understand why you're being a tad confrontational in your postings against people on this thread. Well, done, you've discovered an app you like which to be fair is well known but you helpfully posted about it and for those who haven't heard of it they may well pick up on it. My post was merely to say, yep, got it and to just observed that I personally don't use it that much.

RobesNo1

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009

Uh..... no you didn't dude. You linked to the web version, not the app. :)

colwal

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
Uh..... no you didn't dude. You linked to the web version, not the app. :)
I did try to say that :)

Still you will be happy to know that we are working on the next version which will have some amazing cool features as this will be an ongoing project and we will keep on adding functionality.

There are several ways to accomplish this.

Even the slow to react Cable Companies now offer TV on iPads.
Not all in one place they don't providing almost all of the freeview streams, and as I am aware that so far we are the only company that does this.

sim667

macrumors 65816
Dec 7, 2010
Tvcatchup and apple tv

Its how ive been watching tele in my bedroom for yonkers!!

irnchriz

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2005
Scotland
Isn't that what my original message said? I was wondering why people seemed to blase about it.

It's an app that turns your iPad into a freakin' Freeview TV! For free! You don't even have to register!

You can use a buggy app... OR why take up space with a rubbish app when you can use the html5 streams from the site, which have been running for years.

http://iphone.tvcatchup.com
http://ipad.tvcatchup.com

DKatri

macrumors 6502
Sep 2, 2009
Birmingham, UK
I've been using the web page since I got my first iPad. Always worked very well. Great service though.

It made my day when the world cup final was on (2010). Streaming the world cup final over 3G on my way home from the airport was a pretty cool moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.