Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

teknishn

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2006
Am I the only one that thinks this new Maps app will suck?

Probably not, but why would you think it will suck. We haven't had any reason to think one way or another so why default to glass is half empty? I am optimistic because 1) Apple makes excellent software, and 2) It is highly unlikely that they would consider it ok to take a major step backwards on such an important app. Personally, I'm also quite happy to see Google getting kicked off at least part of the gravy train.

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I Hope...

the new maps program fixes the ***** COMPASS!!! Which has NEVER worked! Why is this thing even in here? Also, if you are not going to fix the compass,at least let the map orient in the direction you are moving like any other GPS.

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
Rumours just keep getting Hot

But

Can we just focus our full attention to the :apple:event that will be able to provide real info in the next couple of weeks please:D

Thunderhawks

Suspended
Feb 17, 2009
The guy at the Dunkin Donuts drive thru said the same thing to me this morning. About the same track record, and reliability as these sites; 50/50.

If he mentioned the new XP129DoubleD12 with integrated SM349 plus 13 FlopGigas and Anamolyadjuster 6x upthrottled, he is really good.

When I switch on my iphone or buy the next one, do I really need to know this?

Ready for a black 128GB and everything faster, done

2bikes

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2012

The picture in the article looks like the open map. Very basic. It could be that the iOS in the prototype that was given out doesnt contain the new map app, or you will not be the only one :)

Sheza

macrumors 68020
Aug 14, 2010
Probably not, but why would you think it will suck. We haven't had any reason to think one way or another so why default to glass is half empty? I am optimistic because 1) Apple makes excellent software, and 2) It is highly unlikely that they would consider it ok to take a major step backwards on such an important app. Personally, I'm also quite happy to see Google getting kicked off at least part of the gravy train.
One of the new apps they had used a different mapping service, and the design of the maps looks really old and horrible, and apparently the information is out of date and not as precise.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
the new maps program fixes the ***** COMPASS!!! Which has NEVER worked! Why is this thing even in here? Also, if you are not going to fix the compass,at least let the map orient in the direction you are moving like any other GPS.

Just tap twice on the location icon.

BelieveInNothin

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
Re: the design of the back

I agree the design of the back is not so great visually, but what if there was a "hardware" reason behind this choice? Something like a "Magic Trackpad" area?

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
with all those "leaks" coming out so early i wonder if we'll get to see the new iPhone during the summer and not fall. it would kinda make sense considering that the iPhone 4 users will be able to upgrade soon but on the other hand the devs need time to get their apps iOS5x or iOS6 ready

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
If this part is part of the A5 family and it isn't the A5X or the 32nm A5, I'm betting it's a quad core Cortex A9 CPU. The 543 variant is probably some optimizations or custom hardware added for the 32nm processor. Sony got a custom variant of the 543 too for the PS Vita.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
with all those "leaks" coming out so early i wonder if we'll get to see the new iPhone during the summer and not fall. it would kinda make sense considering that the iPhone 4 users will be able to upgrade soon but on the other hand the devs need time to get their apps iOS5x or iOS6 ready

This (emboldened part)

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
enough with the controlled leaks from apple about the iphone. It looks like crap anyway.

Where the heck are the retina panels and the macbook pro shells? Not to mention the mac pros? Are we just gonna get them a few hours before the wwdc?

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
I agree the design of the back is not so great visually, but what if there was a "hardware" reason behind this choice? Something like a "Magic Trackpad" area?

As the current design is entirely glass, and the magic trackpad is glass it shouldn't require a change of material. The new material's only potential benefit is enhanced durability over glass, well, or something else- but not a trackpad surface.

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
that thinks the design of the back is insanely ugly? What's with the strip of metal along the back that abruptly cuts off the glass? Its awkward.

Yep, you're the only one.

Also, why are you bringing up something from a few threads back in a thread about the new chip/processor?

Mr. Wonderful

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2009
While anything will be better than the A4 in the iPhone 4, I'm really hoping there is still a noticeable performance increase in the new iPhone over the 4S. There are still little processing hiccups in iOS that a faster processor would help with.

Joe HS

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2011
United Kingdom
While anything will be better than the A4 in the iPhone 4, I'm really hoping there is still a noticeable performance increase in the new iPhone over the 4S. There are still little processing hiccups in iOS that a faster processor would help with.

I'd prefer larger storage options.

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005

Yeah. Me too.. I love google maps, the traffic data and that it's uniform on my Mac and iOS devices. I'm apprehensive of the change. Apple seems best at changing things for the worst when they're working just fine or have people that really rely on them (iMovie, Final Cut, dropping firewire, etc). They seem to then try to fix it later. :rolleyes:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.