Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ajcadoo

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2011
San Diego, CA
Am I the only one that thinks this new Maps app will suck?

Nope, Apple better create something that will blow MotionX's Drive app outta the water. MotionX's app is good but I want something better. Apple has had YEARS to upgrade its Maps App. I have high expectations.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
Yeah. Me too.. I love google maps, the traffic data and that it's uniform on my Mac and iOS devices. I'm apprehensive of the change. Apple seems best at changing things for the worst when they're working just fine or have people that really rely on them (iMovie, Final Cut, dropping firewire, etc). They seem to then try to fix it later. :rolleyes:

LOL iMovie today is far more comprehensible than the old iMovie HD which wasn't quite consumer friendly.

Final Cut X is taking baby steps but has a brighter future ( a more modern future). Have no clue what you're referencing with Firewire changes.

Google Maps is "ok" but i'm pretty jazzed on seeing what Placebase, Poly9 and C3 technology can come together as a unified product. The first version is bound to be conservative but it too should show some great forward leaning functionality

chrisbru

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2008
Austin, TX
the new maps program fixes the ***** COMPASS!!! Which has NEVER worked! Why is this thing even in here? Also, if you are not going to fix the compass,at least let the map orient in the direction you are moving like any other GPS.

Have you oriented your compass? My compass works perfectly, and the map orients in the direction I'm moving.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
I get compass interference in both of my cars, which isn't fixed through calibration.

I think what the one poster was getting at is that there should be an option to orient the map based on the GPS heading and not the compass heading, and I'd agree with that.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007
Am I the only one that thinks this new Maps app will suck?
Software-wise, I'm sure it'll be great. Apple knows what kind of beatdown they'll get if the functionality sucks compared to the current Maps app.

However, the big questionmark is the maps data source. I really hope Apple doesn't use openstreetmap as the data source, as it's pretty out-of-date in many areas (google maps is much more up-to-date), especially as you move away from major urban areas.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I would expect to see one more memory layer in the CPU stack, possibly GPU. I would also expect to see die shrink of two more components to reduce power usage to shift it to the LTE transceiver which is a power hog. The larger size is largely to increase battery mass and as a side effect it allows 16x9 and a dedicated notifications center without app display rewrite. I hope the top and bottom striping on the case is to allow plastic sections to improve reception quality. But I am skeptical.

Rocketman

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
If iOS 6 doesn't impress me... Hello Android. I will give you a try.

Between the horrible new design, no A6, no new UI overhaul, no wider screen, no capacitive button (don't they know by now that the hardware home button breaks easily on their iPhones after 1 year of use???)...

wwchris

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2009
Atlanta, GA
I get compass interference in both of my cars, which isn't fixed through calibration.

I think what the one poster was getting at is that there should be an option to orient the map based on the GPS heading and not the compass heading, and I'd agree with that.

Exactly! And yes, I have calibrated and I am aware you press the button twice to get the compass to orient :) I have owned at least 7 different iPhones at this point and they all behave the same way. Also, it constantly asks you to "figure 8" it to get working again and it never works correctly. It doesn't actually face the direction you are facing. It is usually off by about 90º.

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
9to5 also stated pretty conclusively that the screen is 1136x640, unfortunately. For whatever reason, it looks like Apple's changing to 16:9, which makes absolutely no sense.

The iPhone is a consumer device, the majority of video is delivered in 16:9. Makes sense to me.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

Between the horrible new design, no A6, no new UI overhaul, no wider screen, no capacitive button (don't they know by now that the hardware home button breaks easily on their iPhones after 1 year of use???)...

Wanting Android for UI over iOS is like wanting a cross dresser over a real woman/man (depending on your current gender )

Apple doesn't do hokey UI all that much (pinstripe transgression and translucent plastic aside).

As much as i'm wowed by the huge Android phones I really don't want to carry something that big around daily. Apple has a working phone to tablet strategy so they don't have to mix the two into some phablet device.

TLewis

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2007

Problem is, if you're getting compass interference, that interference isn't going to magically go away if you calibrate the compass.

Sure, let's say you properly calibrate the compass. The interference will then throw it off, and you'll probably be in the same situation you are now: with a wonky compass.

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
Problem is, if you're getting compass interference, that interference isn't going to magically go away if you calibrate the compass.

Sure, let's say you properly calibrate the compass. The interference will then throw it off, and you'll probably be in the same situation you are now: with a wonky compass.

Well, exactly right.

Hence the request that the heading be allowed to be derived from the GPS data.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere

What are you doing to your home button :)

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
BEFORE anyone starts shouting etc, I suggest you read what 9to5mac ACTUALLY said which is basically guess work:

The Samsung 5L8950X ARM processor is most likely manufactured at the same fab in Austin where Apple’s other Ax processors are built. The S5L8950X is a step up from the S5L8940X on the previous iPhone and the S5L8945X on the ‘new’ iPad but we’re not sure what that means in terms of cores, processor speed or fab size. We’d place our money on a low power dual core processor similar to the new iPad 2 on Samsung’s 32nm fab.

The processor is known internally at Apple as the “A5-***” (the last three characters were removed to protect our source). This will most likely not be the final name. However, it seems probable that the processor will continue carrying the “A5″ name and will not step up to the “A6″ nomenclature—but that is far from certain.

As for GPU, the new iPhone also features something entirely new. The GPU chip, which will continue to be part of the SoC, is called “SGX543RC*” (the asterisk is another sensitive number that could identify people working on the device). This GPU technically does not exist yet and we don’t have specs.

The next iPhone will now have 1GB of RAM, which seems to do well for the new iPad.

Link:
http://9to5mac.com/2012/05/31/hardw...-n41ap-iphone51-and-more-on-the-new-maps-app/

So EVERYTHING is still speculation and guess work at this point, they have not reported any facts at all.

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
ve the 11.x.x used in OS X Lion and iOS 5 and even the 12.0.0 version seen in OS X Mountain Lion.

That's a big effing surprise, lion 2 revisions back and ml 1 revision back from the ios kernel...

annuk

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
what is the kernel?

That's a big effing surprise, lion 2 revisions back and ml 1 revision back from the ios kernel...

I don't understand what the kernel version is? what does it do? how does it affect performance? why is it such a big deal?

blow45

macrumors 68000
Jan 18, 2011
I don't understand what the kernel version is? what does it do? how does it affect performance? why is it such a big deal?

of course it is, it's the core of the os. OS X and ios share the darwin unix compliant kernel which is also released as open source software. It's incremental release in the kernel is an upgrade to the kernel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.