Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wmurphy1975

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 14, 2012
I’ve been a fan of Android phones since the very first HTC G1 came out. Since then I’ve had a Motorola Cliq, an HTC Nexus One, an LG G2x, and now an HTC Sensation. And I have to say that for the most part I’ve been very happy with my Android experience. But recently I’ve become more intrigued by Apple’s products. And my own recent experience with the G2X and even some shortcomings with the Sensation have gotten me thinking that I may consider making the switch to the iPhone this year. A lot is going to depend on the iPhone 5. Here is my wish list:

• At least 4" screen
  • Aluminum unibody construction
  • Smaller dock connector
  • NFC

Ideally I'd love for it to be designed like a smaller more compact iPad but a lot of the rumors I've seen make it appear more like a stretched out version of the iPhone 4. I'm not sure how I feel about that. What do you think? Do you have any advice for someone considering making the switch?

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I’ve been a fan of Android phones since the very first HTC G1 came out. Since then I’ve had a Motorola Cliq, an HTC Nexus One, an LG G2x, and now an HTC Sensation. And I have to say that for the most part I’ve been very happy with my Android experience. But recently I’ve become more intrigued by Apple’s products. And my own recent experience with the G2X and even some shortcomings with the Sensation have gotten me thinking that I may consider making the switch to the iPhone this year. A lot is going to depend on the iPhone 5. Here is my wish list:

• At least 4" screen
  • Aluminum unibody construction
  • Smaller dock connector
  • NFC

Ideally I'd love for it to be designed like a smaller more compact iPad but a lot of the rumors I've seen make it appear more like a stretched out version of the iPhone 4. I'm not sure how I feel about that. What do you think? Do you have any advice for someone considering making the switch?

Should you, or should you not, is a question only you can answer. If you're not sure that you'd like an iPhone, go to your iPhone cellular carrier of choice and see if they'll let you get one on a 1 or 2 week trial basis. I know a few people who have done just that.

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
Obviously, this being a mac themed forum, you will get a lot of "yes, switch to iphone", but try it out in store when the new phone comes out. I've been happy with ios devices, even after 2 android phones for my wife. Eventually, I switched my wife over as well. The Galaxy 2 was just junk.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
I think it's mainly about ecosystems now.

I know people that pretty much use Google for most of their communication stuff and so Android aligns with their workflow better than any other product.

If you're not heavily wedded to Google's suite of services then it comes down to are you Apple or Windows?

I've always embraced Apple's native tools in the Mac. If they don't have as many features I try to augment them with utilities.

It makes it easier in the long run for me to keep track of data. Everyone's workflow will differ and that's where the tough decision is for many of us. What ecosystem is going to be best for our own individual needs? That takes a little introspection.

rever3nce

macrumors 6502a
Apr 6, 2011
most companies have a 14-30 day return policy, I recommend you upgrade your phone to an iphone, try it out, and if you don't like it then simply return it :D

for the most part though, you should enjoy it. Best of luck to you on your journey

SteveAbootman

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2008
I suggest you make the switch. If you haven't been happy with the recent Android offerings, and the iPhone 5 checks off all the boxes on your "must have" list, then whats the harm?

If you end up not liking it, you can likely take it back within a 15-30 day return period.

batting1000

macrumors 604
Sep 4, 2011
Florida
Yes, do it. The experience is just so much better. That's coming from someone who has used an Epic 4G Touch, Evo 4G, and Nexus S 4G.

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Since you said you're happy with your Android experience, I don't think you should switch.

Even though I love my WP7 Lumia, I still mainly use my iPhone because I'm happy with my iOS experience. I would never be able to do an all-the-way switch.

DroidConvert

macrumors regular
May 15, 2012
Great sig.

I've never slagged Android in an Android fan forum. My iPhone is better because of the intense competition in the smartphone arena.

Thanks.

I really don't think either is "better" than the other, they simply fill different needs for different people.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Do you have any advice for someone considering making the switch?
Try it and see for yourself. First hand experience is always the best way to find out. You have a return period if it doesn't work out for you. You can read all you want about how others perceive the pros and cons on all sides but it's ultimately how it works for you that matters in the end.

I really don't think either is "better" than the other, they simply fill different needs for different people.
The two ideas aren't mutually exclusive. Either can be better. Most don't seem to understand that better is always highly subjective. You can't blindly state that one is better without qualifying precisely what you mean by better -- not if you want to have a meaningful discussion anyway. A different option may be better for another person with differing criteria, preferences, budget, etc.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
This seems like a strange question. You made a list of what you want to see. If you get everything on your "must haves" then get the new iPhone. If not, then don't. Am I missing something? :confused:

bgro

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2010
South Florida
I think it's mainly about ecosystems now.

I know people that pretty much use Google for most of their communication stuff and so Android aligns with their workflow better than any other product.

If you're not heavily wedded to Google's suite of services then it comes down to are you Apple or Windows?

I've always embraced Apple's native tools in the Mac. If they don't have as many features I try to augment them with utilities.

It makes it easier in the long run for me to keep track of data. Everyone's workflow will differ and that's where the tough decision is for many of us. What ecosystem is going to be best for our own individual needs? That takes a little introspection.

I completely agree with this answer. Many people say Android allows more customization, etc but the reality is that anybody who actually wants to have more access customize their iPhone can jailbreak. So the functionality of the phones are pretty much the same with the same features (for the most part). I prefer the smoothness of iOS but most importantly for me, I am heavily invested in the Apple ecosystem. I do use Gmail as my primary email but imo setting the account up as an Exchange account on my iPhone completely satisfies my needs. I probably have over $300 in purchased apps and I like how my iPad, iPhone, and Mac all stay in sync through iCloud. But at the end of the day, they are both very cool and very capable operating systems. Just depends on which ecosystem suits you better.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
LOL! It's funny, I am thinking of going the opposite way, HOWEVER I will still hold on to my iPhone4 as a back up or if for some reason, which I highly doubt that I won't love my new tech experience. For me it's just to try something new.

What I can tell you as an iPhone owner is even if the OS looks rather stale and rigid (just my opinon after looking at the same thing for 2 years now). The damn phone works and works well. I have never had any issues with it doing unpleasant things like self re-starting or dog locking like my first HTC phone (windows waaay back when, god help me). It's a reliable PHONE and has been a pleasure to use.

So, I don't anticipate you getting your aluminum body as I believe they tried something like that before and it was detrimental to signal quality, not sure. If you are just looking for a change, what could it hurt?

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Wait until the iPhone 5 is announced before asking this question.

For instance you mention NFC, well if the iPhone is not NFC equipped is that a show stopper?

You need to see if you can live within apple's ecosystem and then does the iPhone have everything you need. Given that the new iPhone has not been unveiled its premature to ask this question

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
No. You will regret it, I promise you.

Don't even listen to this. I would most certainly switch without hesitation. The original is always the best. But like others have said, if you get a chance try it out and make that decision for yourself. :cool:

danielowenuk

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2011
I made the switch myself, previously owned a few android phones.

HTC Hero (with the chin ;))
ZTE Blade (OLED screen)

The wife has a HTC Wildfire that I have the displeasure of having to touch once in a blue moon.

My iPhone is by far the best phone I have owned in recent years. But I do question is that because it's an iPhone with iOS? or is it simply because in terms of power is so much quicker than before.

My ecosystem is fairly applecentric, I have an ipad2, my daughter has an ipod touch (with imessage and facetime), the wife's next phone will be an iphone (mainly because she loves mine), so I will probably stop with an iPhone, although if they don't put NFC in the next one I will be pissed.

I agree with Nuckinfutz, it's mainly about your ecosystem.

Last edited:

ChrisTX

macrumors 68030
Dec 30, 2009
Texas
I concur.
Android is a pale imitation and clone of iOS.
Make the switch.
its the only decision.

Also, remember, Apple products are a high class product. A sign that you can afford a luxury product, a symbol of wealth.
If you go around town clutching an android device, we'll just be looking down on you thinking "ah thats a shame. he's poor and can only afford a cheap plastic android POS.".

Seriously, if you can afford and want to be seen to be going places in the world, GET AN IPHONE!! :cool: :apple:

While I agree that the iPhone is a better overall product. When most high end Android devices cost the same as an iPhone, I fail to see your logic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.