Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

annuk

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
of course it is, it's the core of the os. OS X and ios share the darwin unix compliant kernel which is also released as open source software. It's incremental release in the kernel is an upgrade to the kernel.

what i meant by why is it important is, why make such a big deal about a new kernel version i mean they do this almost every major ios release. Right?

Last edited:

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
This. I have a launch-day 3GS that still gets daily use, and the home button is still going strong. :apple:

I am using a 3g (no s) that the back is cracked the whole way down, parts are broken off, power button does not work but the home button is going strong. But please apple release the new iphone im desperate for a new iphone that doesnt lag!!!

----------

It's just slightly higher clocked. Hopefully it's got a quad-core CPU though.

I realise it wont but id rather have a dual core a15 than quad a9

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
Yeah me too, but a quad-core Cortex A9 is still good as well. It's quad-core A15 next year...

>>>>>

There's two possibilities here:

1) The new iPhone does have a 16:9 aspect ratio and the SGX543 variant is the SGX543MP2 with a 20% increase in clock speed
2) The new iPhone has a 1440x960 (3:2) resolution and the SGX543 variant is the MP3.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Why are these leaked shots always terrible quality, like they were taken with a terrible camera phone from 2004?
They would likely be taken by some fixed-focus spy cam. You can't just walk into the factory of an Apple supplier with a dSLR in hand and broadcast the fact that you are taking pictures of parts slated for Apple's next secret product.

Besides which, the Apple rumor community has always had a romantic attachment to blurry elevator pics, even going back to the bad old days before SJ's return.

annuk

macrumors newbie
May 31, 2012
So if OSX is unix based does that mean Ubuntu or Linux mint applications are compatable OSX and vice verses?

doelcm82

macrumors 68040
Feb 11, 2012
Florida, USA
Nope, Apple better create something that will blow MotionX's Drive app outta the water. MotionX's app is good but I want something better. Apple has had YEARS to upgrade its Maps App. I have high expectations.

I have high hopes for the Maps app. The current Maps app has been pretty good, but 3D terrain and landmarks could be very useful.

Even if there are some kinks at first, Apple will issue point upgrades to fix them, and I have fall-back apps for mapping.

Really I want Apple to get rid of Google Maps because the feature war can't really start until Apple and Google have competing map products.

lincolntran

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2010
Ugly

This will be one ugly iPhone.

The 4 and 4S is very balanced. It's not too long, not too short, not too wide, not too narrow in comparison with its height. Balance is a very very important concept in making things look beautiful. If this will be the next version of iPhone, it is an ugly one. It's too long.

Moccasin

macrumors 65816
Mar 21, 2011
Newcastle, UK
I'm very skeptical that this is indeed from the new iPhone. My suspicion is that these are deliberate leaks of a dummy iPhone designed to put competitors off the scent or keep them guessing.

I may well be proved wrong (although I hope not - it's hardly their best/most innovative design). If not a deliberate attempt to fool people, it may be a prototype/proof of concept design to test the components and ergonomics of the shape without giving away the real design - or any clever new features they want to keep under wraps until launch.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I'm very skeptical that this is indeed from the new iPhone. My suspicion is that these are deliberate leaks of a dummy iPhone designed to put competitors off the scent or keep them guessing.

I may well be proved wrong (although I hope not - it's hardly their best/most innovative design). If not a deliberate attempt to fool people, it may be a prototype/proof of concept design to test the components and ergonomics of the shape without giving away the real design - or any clever new features they want to keep under wraps until launch.
Exactly -- truly I hope this is the case. It could be a prototype or a decoy, but hopefully what it can't be is the real thing! It's not so much the design I'm worried about, although I think 3:2 is a much better ratio than 16:9 as it's a good balance between width and height, but it's more the black borders on apps until they're updated that bothers me.

FoxMcCloud

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2009
Redcar, England
This will be one ugly iPhone.

The 4 and 4S is very balanced. It's not too long, not too short, not too wide, not too narrow in comparison with its height. Balance is a very very important concept in making things look beautiful. If this will be the next version of iPhone, it is an ugly one. It's too long.

Everyone said that about the iPhone 4 leaked pictures.
"that's a fake!"
"it's too in-apple"
"jony ive would never design that"
"it has seams and screws, it goes against the apple way"
"those plastic divider seems aren't uniform, apple doesn't do products like that"
"that's the ugliest thing I've ever seen, I will never buy it"
"this will flop, hard, no one wants a glass phone"

Etc...however, when Steve jobs came on stage and showed a phone that looked exactly like the leaks...

"zomg it's beautiful I want it"
"it's sooo apple"
"those seams are the best feature!"

Etc etc

Needless to say, the iPhone 4 went on to be like the bestest selling device evar.

I got the iPhone 4 because finally the iPhone wasn't crap, it had excellent hardware and power and looked great. The software was finally decent enough too with ios 4. Certainly worthy of my purchase. I've had it two years now and think I'll get this once it's available.

v.pic

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
Killadelphia
did anyone even inspect these pictures?

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/9to5macblackandwhite.png

take yourself over to the headphone jack that was "moved to the bottom of the phone." (which in itself makes me giggle at the absurdity. will iPhone owners all carry their phones in their pockets upside-down now? to listen to music?)
make sure that you're zoomed into the Black iPhone's "bottom" headphone jack though. you can see through it – it looks like on the other side of the hole that there's a metalic bezel.
as if putting a case around a black iPhone 4S with a hole at the bottom.... you see through to an aluminium bezel.

Last edited:

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
did anyone even inspect these pictures?

http://9to5mac.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/9to5macblackandwhite.png

take yourself over to the headphone jack that was "moved to the bottom of the phone." (which in itself makes me giggle at the absurdity. will iPhone owners all carry their phones in their pockets upside-down now? to listen to music?)

They're cases. They never said they were complete phones. If someone is listening to music what does it matter what orientation the phone is in their pocket?

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD
They're cases. They never said they were complete phones. If someone is listening to music what does it matter what orientation the phone is in their pocket?

It's actually better if it is bottom up. Then you can pull the phone partially out to hit the home button and use the controls.

marcusj0015

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2011
U.S.A.
AND in my opinion from this pic
It looks like that weird middle section actually is due to a wrapper of some kind maybe. By the Apple logo it looks like it's bubbled there, thats also ignoring the incorrect font

No, you can see the plastic extend a little bit off the edge of the metal part, it's clearly protective plastic.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
It's actually better if it is bottom up. Then you can pull the phone partially out to hit the home button and use the controls.

Good point. I know when i'm in my car it becomes a tangled mess when i've got my headphone jack used and my power. The iPhone becomes sort of an inline dongle.

I know some people have said they can't listen their phone through headphones docked but I'm thinking that's a pretty rare case.

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
I think its not the real design. Remember they said that they were testing it in the guise of an iphone 4/4s? It might be taller to accomadate the hardware but might be a little wider and look totally different on release.

v.pic

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
Killadelphia
Yeah I did consider it could appear that way because it's a shell.
:p
& Don't get me wrong, I can see why some people would like it on the bottom of the phone, but I don't think that'd be the common opinion on the change, and I just can't see Apple doing it.

There's more than one thing that makes me think this is nothing like the next iPhone that we will see revealed soon enough. :D

dcorban

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
will iPhone owners all carry their phones in their pockets upside-down now? to listen to music?
I already keep my phone upside-down in my pocket. Doesn't everyone? When I reach into my pocket and pull my phone out, it is oriented so I can read it. If you kept your phone the other way ("rightside-up"), then the screen would be upside-down to you when you pull it out.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
I am using a 3g (no s) that the back is cracked the whole way down, parts are broken off, power button does not work but the home button is going strong. But please apple release the new iphone im desperate for a new iphone that doesnt lag!!!

----------

typecase

macrumors 6502
Feb 2, 2005
LOL iMovie today is far more comprehensible than the old iMovie HD which wasn't quite consumer friendly.

Final Cut X is taking baby steps but has a brighter future ( a more modern future). Have no clue what you're referencing with Firewire changes.

Google Maps is "ok" but i'm pretty jazzed on seeing what Placebase, Poly9 and C3 technology can come together as a unified product. The first version is bound to be conservative but it too should show some great forward leaning functionality

I hope you realize now that I was right. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.