Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Atomant669

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Hi this might be a dumb question for some but I'm sure they are of different amperage? If this is so would I damage the battery on my iPhone with an iPad charger and will the iPad charge slower with an iPhone charger? Would I damage either of these two if I were to swap chargers?

McGilli

macrumors 6502
Nov 11, 2008
Hi this might be a dumb question for some but I'm sure they are of different amperage? If this is so would I damage the battery on my iPhone with an iPad charger and will the iPad charge slower with an iPhone charger? Would I damage either of these two if I were to swap chargers?

No damage either way.

Safe to use either of them.

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
As above it dosnt matter. The iPhone has an inbuilt circuit to protect it. If you check the iPad charger out on apples store you will see iPhone is listed under the compatable device list.

Atomant669

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
As above it dosnt matter. The iPhone has an inbuilt circuit to protect it. If you check the iPad charger out on apples store you will see iPhone is listed under the compatable device list.

So does it means that the iPhone will charge faster with an iPad charger and the iPad will charge slower with an iPhone charger? I'm curious.

Kyllle

macrumors 6502
Apr 25, 2011
Iphone will charge the same on either one, however iPad will charge slower through the iphone charger than it would through the iPad charger.

andyp350

macrumors 6502a
Aug 14, 2011
I mix mine up all the time with no problems, however its worth noting that the iPad won't charge so fast using the iPhone charger. Also worth noting, although I expect that this is obvious to most people but the actual USB leads are identical, its only the plug adapter part that is different.

Atomant669

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Ok. Thanks for all the replies. I wonder what's the charging time like for an iPad through a MacBook via USB. :)

Gav2k

macrumors G3
Jul 24, 2009
Ok. Thanks for all the replies. I wonder what's the charging time like for an iPad through a MacBook via USB. :)

Depends on the MacBook newer gen sense the extra draw and up the power to allow charging. Older MacBooks depending on iPad model will just say not charging.

Atomant669

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
Depends on the MacBook newer gen sense the extra draw and up the power to allow charging. Older MacBooks depending on iPad model will just say not charging.

I'm using the latest MacBook pro 13.3 incher.

iAppl3Fan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011

I agree. The key is the charger need to say 2Amp. There are 3rd party chargers that is 1Amp which is design for iPhone but claim it.is design for iPad. That is why people people get mixed results.

The current Macs will output 2Amp to charge iPad therefore will be the same speed as a wall charger supplied with the iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.