Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Drunken Master

macrumors 65816
Jul 19, 2011
I have very little doubt that they'll show "in the lab" concepts with no real ship dates/timelines, etc.

LOL, how long had we been hearing about Windows 8? They never said when it would ship, but kept extolling how great it is in some poorly made video hosted by some programmer with no camera presence at all.

Huracan

macrumors 6502
Jan 9, 2007
I think competition is great. Google Maps have been king for quite a while, with their pedestrian and transit routes, etc. Apple will really have to do something outstanding if they want to switch away from Google Maps. Otherwise I wish Google has a standalone maps application or one can just access maps through the safari browser. They have a pretty decent Web App. The Map app is one of the most used apps during my day, mostly to quickly check on traffic, but also for quick directions both as a driver, pedestrian or occasionally on public transit.

Free navigation would be great, but I have already spent money in some navigation apps, and then there are some pretty decent free navigation apps like Waze. So, great if they do that, but kind of too late for me unless again they do something awesome.

Unfortunately Apple has settled for the incremental upgrade path, not for the innovation path. There hasn't been anything really innovative lately, except the retina display and Siri. Although I think that the iPhone 4 hardware is outstanding, don't get me wrong. I really like the iPhone 4 and 4S.

Meandmunch

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2002
Google pretty much owns the maps space when it comes to technology and innovation. As much as I love Apple they will be hard pressed to even bring their maps up to the current standards we've come to expect from companies like Google.

Vote it down if you like but I am willing to bet what they reveal at this media will be nothing less than stunning.

FakeWozniak

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
Lets look at this with facts and look at this from an open perspective.

Past performance does not guarantee future results. As has always been the philosophy of Apple, they don't do something unless they can do it better than others. If Apple is getting into mapping, I expect it will be fracking great. I don't buy the reason that Apple is bringing it in-house because Google is a direct competitor; they would just contract another vendor instead of Google. They have some great plans.

Now maybe Google suspects Apple's technology from the public purchases Apple made, but that is only a hint. Who knows what has been going on inside Infinite Loop labs.

Lets also look at how it works. The maps are fed by a cloud network. Google obviously have one of these. Apple does not...

Pure FUD. You will probably be surprised at how it works. Your first instinct is to assume Apple will fail in basic architecture of the network so I think your bias is clear.

olegandbuster25

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
As long as apple comes out with a maps AS NICE and simple to use as te current google maps, I'll be MORE THAN HAPPY adopting yet another apple piece of software and experience.
But knowing apple I expect that, and more... Such as the rumored 3D tech - that should be pretty interesting at the least we will see how helpful it really is.
Like I said though, I expect it to not only be equal but better

Virgule82

macrumors newbie
Mar 15, 2012
LOL, how long had we been hearing about Windows 8? They never said when it would ship, but kept extolling how great it is in some poorly made video hosted by some programmer with no camera presence at all.

Huh? It's been pretty clear for a very long time that it will be released this fall, probably in October.

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Maps will definitely not be the main thing at WWDC.
Nor will Maps won't be the main thing at Google I/O.
While Google spends top dollars and marketing effort on the launch of a new maps functionality it is Apple that is rumored to launch a slew of hardware and software updates and innovations.
Google Maps has street view, 3D buildings and terrain, satellite imagery, navigation on Android devices, real time traffic, and integration with public transportation routes/schedules. Plus whatever they are announcing on Wednesday.

I can't envision a scenario in which Apple unveils anything maps-related that will be more impressive than what Google already offers.

Last edited:

squirrellydw

macrumors regular
Nov 22, 2003
who people are funny. Who even know when either will be released? Did Apple say IOS 6 is going to be released on the 11th? I hate Google but they have a great map service. I hope Apple comes out with something just as good. As for GPS, I use GPS Drive, works great.

Also Google is nothing but lying thieves, and I can't wait till the EU fines them big time and puts restrictions on them like they did with MS

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Google Maps is great, and the Maps/Navigation integration in Android has to be the single biggest feature-based reason that people choose Android over an iPhone.

If Apple is completely abandoning Google Maps, it's a high risk move. If they roll out a new solution that is as much in "beta" as Siri was when it launched with the iPhone 4S, this would be a major misstep for Apple. The stakes are high.

Google Maps has street view, 3D buildings and terrain, satellite imagery, integration with navigation, and real time traffic...plus whatever they think is important to announce on Wednesday.

I can't envision a scenario in which Apple unveils anything maps-related that will be more impressive than what Google already offers.
This is my concern as well.

Ounce

macrumors member
Jun 26, 2011
Louisville, KY
...I still find it hilarious that they can't (won't?) match Google's basic (and included out of the box) navigation app...

Apple isn't interested in matching poorly executed software. Rather, they work in the areas they feel they can produce something better. Time will tell whether or not that includes navigation.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Only the trolls and ultra-fanboys. I give most people more credit than that until they show they don't deserve it. The more dangerous thing would have been google unveiling it months ago and then months after apple unveiling it, people say Apple started it all along.

Ah yes, classic "Apple invented it!" when they come in late. Usually followed by "But they made it popular first though!".

So predictable, this forum is. :D

b24pgg

macrumors 65816
Jan 28, 2009
CA
Apple isn't interested in matching poorly executed software.
Ironically, Apple released Siri to match Google Voice Actions, and Siri is the one that was poorly executed.

And if you think Google Navigation is "poorly executed" you have no idea what you're talking about. It is easily the best mobile Navigation app available on any platform. Nothing on the iPhone comes close.

BvizioN

macrumors 603
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
On the other side we have Google, who have been producing maps for over 7 years, and again have been producing, and working on 3d mapping technology for at least 7 years. Google have obviously been playing around with 3d mapping for a hell of a lot longer than Apple, and have a more experienced team working on it.

Motorola made real mobile phones since mid 90's. Nokia also. Oh... and so did the rest of mobile phone makers. They all been playing with mobile phones for years. And we all know what happen on 2007! Did Apple have the experience on a mobile phone industry? Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Did they make a good mobile phone? Damn right they did. They did lot more then that.

Am not so sure if experience is everything anymore.

By the way, am not fan boy neither giants.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Apple isn't interested in matching poorly executed software. Rather, they work in the areas they feel they can produce something better. Time will tell whether or not that includes navigation.

What's poor about Google's map back-end ? It's Apple's iOS front-end to it that is bad (or has been up to now). The back-end never needed fixing, it was the front-end that did. And that is Apple software, not Google software.

Aug 26, 2008
Motorola made real mobile phones since mid 90's. Nokia also. Oh... and so did the rest of mobile phone makers. They all been playing with mobile phones for years. And we all know what happen on 2007! Did Apple have the experience on a mobile phone industry? Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Did they make a good mobile phone? Damn right they did. They did lot more then that.

Am not so sure if experience is everything anymore.

By the way, am not fan boy neither giants.

That doesn't really compare. Apple made a mini computer that had phone functions. Motorola and Nokia didn't have the same experience in computers and operating systems as Apple.

So that analogy doesn't work.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
This is a lovely illustration of the uniqueness of Apple as a company: they act, they don't react.

The timing and content of this announcement from Google is undoubtedly a reaction by Google to the promise of Apple's upcoming maps solution, rather than a self-motivated action on their part.

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
Am I the only one who thinks that this might mean the opposite?

It is rumored (but certainly not confirmed) that Apple is moving to its own mapping solution. It was rumored that Apple's new maps would have some form of 3D component to it.

And now Google wants to announce their new "dimension" of maps. Could it be that Google has improved on their own offering, and Apple continues to use it?

I know those 3D screen shots didn't have the Google logo on them... but if they were legit, and in a beta form, maybe the logo was disabled.

Just a thought...

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
This is a lovely illustration of the uniqueness of Apple as a company: they act, they don't react.

The timing and content of this announcement from Google is undoubtedly a reaction by Google to the promise of Apple's upcoming maps solution, rather than a self-motivated action on their part.

What promise ?

iPadPublisher

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I suspect shares in Garmin and TomTom have just tanked. As the service of navigation turns to being better and better as a free service.

There's no replacing the stand-alone Garmin unit in my car. Phones and apps will continue to improve their offerings, but I don't think its going to kill the standalone GPS market. Take some market share... sure... but kill it? Naw.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Am I the only one who thinks that this might mean the opposite?

It is rumored (but certainly not confirmed) that Apple is moving to its own mapping solution. It was rumored that Apple's new maps would have some form of 3D component to it.

And now Google wants to announce their new "dimension" of maps. Could it be that Google has improved on their own offering, and Apple continues to use it?

I know those 3D screen shots didn't have the Google logo on them... but if they were legit, and in a beta form, maybe the logo was disabled.

Just a thought...

Google is already showing off their 3D maps. MapsGL. They have been up for several months :

http://support.google.com/maps/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=1630790

Remember folks, Google is not as much into secrecy as Apple is.

Krazy Bill

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2011
Don't really care what mapping software my phone uses. Just give me a route that doesn't take me through somebody's back yard or tell me I can ford the Mississippi river.

Aug 26, 2008

You don't think Apple buying up 3rd party map companies is a reaction to Google Maps being ridiculously superior up to this point?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.