Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

babens

macrumors member
Mar 11, 2012
I don't know if this change has occurred for all new UltraViolet releases or not, but the UV copy with the new release of Footloose is iTunes compatible right from the get go, no messing around with having to open service tickets and deal with back and forth emails.

melanied

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2012
Happy Feet 2 code for iTunes

I emailed flixster for an iTunes code for Happy Feet 2 and received the response "Unfortunately, iTunes is not available for this particular offer, but we want to make sure you know that you can stream and download your UltraViolet™ movies and TV shows to compatible Apple devices including iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. Although UltraViolet™ titles will not show up in iTunes, you can build a collection in Flixster of all your UltraViolet™ movies and TV shows. Additionally, you can stream and download your UltraViolet™ titles to your PC or Mac, as well as compatible Android mobile devices." :mad:

dmcwally

macrumors member
Aug 18, 2009
Ultraviolet is ultra crap !

Once I found out it wasn't iTunes compatible I knew things were only downhill from there. I redeemed 2 movies horrible bosses and hang over 2. I have 2 more movies to redeem but can't remember my password. So after trying to log in it locked my account. I've since then sent them 5 emails to their customer service and it's been over 3 weeks I check my mail and bulk mail folder daily so I haven't missed there email. But they've only emailed me back once since then with a ticket number.

mkjj

macrumors 6502a
Jun 2, 2003
Liverpool
I emailed flixster for an iTunes code for Happy Feet 2 and received the response "Unfortunately, iTunes is not available for this particular offer, but we want to make sure you know that you can stream and download your UltraViolet™ movies and TV shows to compatible Apple devices including iPhone, iPad, and iPod Touch. Although UltraViolet™ titles will not show up in iTunes, you can build a collection in Flixster of all your UltraViolet™ movies and TV shows. Additionally, you can stream and download your UltraViolet™ titles to your PC or Mac, as well as compatible Android mobile devices." :mad:

Exactly what I got back from them, ended up ripping the DVD instead.
First and last time...:mad:

KSpider

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2006
San Diego, CA
Dang, I had redeemed a couple UV codes for itunes easily before purchasing Happy Feet Two... It is too bad it doesnt convert for all the codes/movies.

stargirld

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
Thanks!

Thank you so, so much! I contacted them as you suggested. Within 15 minutes, I had a reply exactly like yours with the necessary iTunes code. Hooray! :apple:

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
I've had some pretty bad luck trying to get any iTunes codes for Ultraviolet junk.

Sony Pictures in particular demonstrated what a terrible customer un-friendly company they are via e-mail response. Heck, they even refused to help me with an iTunes code that expired a bit before I tried to redeem it.

GarrettL1979

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2012
I've had some pretty bad luck trying to get any iTunes codes for Ultraviolet junk.

Sony Pictures in particular demonstrated what a terrible customer un-friendly company they are via e-mail response. Heck, they even refused to help me with an iTunes code that expired a bit before I tried to redeem it.

Sony treated me very poorly as well. I ordered a new blu-ray from amazon that unfortunately came with an expired code. They refused to help me too.

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Oct 1, 2003
UT

Sony treated me very poorly as well. I ordered a new blu-ray from amazon that unfortunately came with an expired code. They refused to help me too.

I don't condone Piracy, but when I hear stories like this I always think to my self, that I can understand why people download media illegally. Especially if you've paid for it and the studios are being sticks in the mud.

crzdcolombian

macrumors 6502a
Nov 16, 2010
I want to rebuy Batman Begins and Spiderman 1-3 so I can get get the digital copies of them. They are all ultraviolet copies if I do the convert will they show up in the cloud?

WStory

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2012
Thanks

I emailed Flixster this morning and received a response about three hours later. I was just having trouble with the website not allowing me to redeem codes. They are sending me the code for HP7P2 and a digital copy disc for Hangover 2 and Green Lantern that are supposedly iTunes compatible. They didn't, however, resolve my problem with the website and told me the other two titles are UltraViolet only and went through the whole spill that was on a previous post in this forum. I'm happy to get codes for 3 of 5 movies but the underlying problem still exists and not having the other two digital copies is unacceptable. I have requested codes again so we'll see how it goes. I definitely DO NOT like the whole UltraViolet thing.

cjt3007

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
Portland, OR
Work around for Apple TV owners

If you have a new Apple TV, a simple workaround is to use AirPlay Mirroring, then you can stream or download via the flixster app.

donrsd

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2011
South Florida
I use my Apple TV to play my iTunes digital copies.
I also use my PS3 to stream via VUDU all of my UV copies.

I wish Apple TV would incorporate VUDU into the menu so I wouldnt have to use 2 different devices.

Googlyhead

macrumors 6502
Apr 19, 2010
Load of absolute junk this uv thing is!
Unfortunately, I doubt there's any chance we can send the code back to them for a partial refund!

DP812

macrumors regular
Aug 13, 2009
Japan
I don't condone Piracy, but when I hear stories like this I always think to my self, that I can understand why people download media illegally. Especially if you've paid for it and the studios are being sticks in the mud.

This is my feeling on it, too. When the studios make their content more frustrating to deal with and access with all this DRM and exclusivity nonsense, it only makes piracy seem like a more attractive option.

The easier you make things on your customers, the more willing they are to buy your product. It's that simple, yet the media companies don't get it. They're so paranoid that all their customers are thieves.

darcyjames

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2012
There is, in my opinion, no way to use UV in any way that is close to the convenience of my iTunes digital copies in the cloud (1080P). Really? I'm not going to go back to watching movies on my freaking laptop...and don't suggest airplay, it is not the same...

The TV & movie studios are their own worst enemies...I just ran into a string of blurays that came with UV digital copies, so I didn't buy them. Suck that. The record companies learned a hard lesson and they still resisted Jobs in the beginning; they are so lucky iTunes almost singlehandedly saved the revenue stream for that industry.

ZmyDust

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
I just bought a DVD copy of "The Dark Knight Rises" and was happy that it included a digital copy, now I read about this crap. Does anybody know if the email from the OP still results in a redemption code for a digital copy through iTunes?

lunaoso

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2012
Boston, MA
I just bought a DVD copy of "The Dark Knight Rises" and was happy that it included a digital copy, now I read about this crap. Does anybody know if the email from the OP still results in a redemption code for a digital copy through iTunes?

I'm pretty sure it does. Might as well try it and see what happens.

ZmyDust

macrumors regular
Feb 20, 2011
Even if I did want to use the free flixster service, I can't watch it on my jailbroken Iphone. Gives an error and says to restore to use the service. Lame.

Yoohoo1231

macrumors newbie
Apr 20, 2010

For what it's worth, I tried maybe a week ago or so and I still haven't heard back from my original request.

silver8ack

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2010
Ultraviolet is the worst idea to date for digital distribution. The only success it has had is creating more pirates.

Also the whole digital download is pure crap. I just got a blu-ray drive ($55). Best money I ever spent. It amazing how many digital downloads aren't even HD. I have about 20 digital downloads, one of them is HD. Wtf are these movie companies thinking.

mrholder

macrumors regular
Jan 3, 2009
I don't have an ATV yet, but got a blu ray player with vudu. I have a small collection of ultraviolet copies through vudu. All of the uv files from the blu ray combo packs turned out to be hd. I've rarely downloaded an hd digital copy from itunes from a combo pack. It's a hassle to fool with ultraviolet/flixter/vudu and all of the movie companies you have to sign up with, but once you get them to show up, the quality is amazing for a stream.

cjt3007

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2008
Portland, OR
Doesn't it kinda of defeat the purpose of buying the bluray and then streaming it from vudu on your bluray player? It will never be the same quality as the disc, and definitely won't have surround sound.

starkmj

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2007
Doesn't it kinda of defeat the purpose of buying the bluray and then streaming it from vudu on your bluray player? It will never be the same quality as the disc, and definitely won't have surround sound.

Not true. I've played the VUDU versions and they are in 5.1 dolby digital.

I agree, I hate the whole UV system. I'd rather play them from my apple tv, but at least I have the option to stream from my Blu Ray player, if I need to.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I just entered a ticket with Sony on Looper. I tried getting the UV copy of Dark Knight Rises and never even got it in my library. This thing is a complete nightmare. I asked Sony to "please please please" stop using Ultraviolet. I explained to them how frustrating it is to need 3 accounts just to try to get the thing on my phone. What a disaster.

I have no interest in having a Flixster app on my phone just so I can download it every time I want to watch it. What a joke.

Edit: Sony told me to pound sand. Ultraviolet copies are included as a "bonus." This will be a consideration in future purchases advertising "Ultraviolet"

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.