Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macman1059

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
I've got an iPhone 4 running jailbroken 5.1 firmware.

I have been attempting to restore it for days however keep having issues.

First attempt: Just hit restore in iTunes - got error 21 and recovery mode bug

Second attempt: restore in iTunes with custom ipsw - got error 21 and recovery mode bug

Third attempt: restore in iTunes with custom ipsw and pwned dfu mode - error 1600

Please help it is doing my head in. Thx

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Just to be sure - you're just restoring (not option/shift + restore) to install a downloaded or custom IPSW?

Have you tried disconnecting & rebooting the computer, the tryin again? Have you tried a hard reset (power & home together)?

What is the current status? Stuck in recovery/at apple logo? Back to stock springboard?

What was your previous software other than 5.1? Unlocked? IPad baseband? Please elaborate just a bit more & I'm sure someone here will have a good suggestion for you.

macman1059

macrumors newbie
Original poster
May 5, 2012
Just to be sure - you're just restoring (not option/shift + restore) to install a downloaded or custom IPSW?

In my first attempt I just did a stock standard restore but in the 2nd and 3rd I was using a downloaded IPSW from felixbruns.de

What is the current status? Stuck in recovery/at apple logo? Back to stock springboard?

I fixed recovery using tiny umbrella and the phone is operating normally (jailbroken).

What was your previous software other than 5.1? Unlocked? IPad baseband? Please elaborate just a bit more & I'm sure someone here will have a good suggestion for you.

It's a factory unlocked iPhone which was running 5.1.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
In my first attempt I just did a stock standard restore but in the 2nd and 3rd I was using a downloaded IPSW from felixbruns.de

I fixed recovery using tiny umbrella and the phone is operating normally (jailbroken).

It's a factory unlocked iPhone which was running 5.1.

Try using an IPSW downloaded from iClarified.com or the iphoneWikia. Try using Redsn0w if you're re-Jailbreaking.

Missjenna

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2010
Washington
Have you tried entering owned DFU mod with redsn0w? I just had this happen earlier this week and I was able to restore with that method.

Edit: nevermind, i saw that you tried owned dfu mode.

Last edited:

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Make sure your host file is set to apple instead of cydia.

Open TinyUmbrella, go to advanced, UNcheck set host to cydia and close TU.

In redsn0w Extras put phone into pwned-DFU, try again with ALT-restore in itunes with your stock IPSW.

just to be sure, there are 3 different mode; recovery, DFU and pwned-DFU.

Armofgold85

macrumors newbie
Jun 1, 2012
Error 21 fix!

DO EXACTLY WHAT TriJetHero SAYS!!! THIS CORRECTED THE ERROR 21!! YOU MUST DOWNLOAD TINYUMBRELLA AND UNCHECK THE "SEND SSH TO CYDIA" BOX AND "SET HOST TO CYDIA" BOX. THIS WILL ALLOW YOU TO DO A RESTORE! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

Zord

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
DO EXACTLY WHAT TriJetHero SAYS!!! THIS CORRECTED THE ERROR 21!! YOU MUST DOWNLOAD TINYUMBRELLA AND UNCHECK THE "SEND SSH TO CYDIA" BOX AND "SET HOST TO CYDIA" BOX. THIS WILL ALLOW YOU TO DO A RESTORE! THANK YOU SO MUCH!!

This is the FIX!!! Thank You!!

BobbyMez09

macrumors newbie
Jun 7, 2012
California
Uncheck Set host To Cydia on Tiny Umbrella

if you ahve tiny umbrella installed you need to open it click on advanced and uncheck the set host to cydia on exit....then try a fresh restore with itunes it should work!!! did for me! i was restoring a jailbroken iphone 4s on 5.1.1
Hope this Helps! thanks

rKunda

macrumors 68000
Jul 14, 2008

In redsn0w Extras put phone into pwned-DFU, try again with ALT-restore in itunes with your stock IPSW.

Yep, this.

DJPABZ23

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2012

Every time I open TU, it gets stuck on "verifying libraries"

I Sx I

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2012
You my friend TriJetHero actually are a true hero!!! You rock!!!

I love you man! TriJetHero is god!

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Every time I open TU, it gets stuck on "verifying libraries"

Do you have a Mac? I've seen that happen on those computers no matter the version.

Anyway, on my computer, I had to physically edit the hosts file every time I opened TinyUmbrella. You probably don't even use the hosts file for anything, so you can probably delete it, in which case any program that uses it will recreate it, but you should run Notepad as an Administrator, browse to the C:/Windows/System32/drivers/etc/hosts directly, and then change the option from Text Document to All Files to make the hosts file appear. You should see a couple lines in there and just put a # in front of anything that says gs.apple.com. I wouldn't advise erasing the file if you have other entries in there as you probably won't remember to check it if you get network errors with other programs.

Gangaprasad

macrumors newbie
Aug 19, 2012
iPhone4 restore

thanks for the advises I am also getting similar error with iPhone4 restore. My iPhone was previously running on iOS 5.1.1 and was jailbroken using absinthe, it was running good previously..one day I was stopped working and whenever i connect to the computer apple logo is appearing for sometime and disappearing there after continuously... I am bit confused and tried to restore the iOS but getting an error 21. I tried to enter DFU pwned mode and tried to restore getting similar error. Then I read solution from this thread and downloaded TinyUmbrella 5.11.01 and if I run it It is detecting the device but I am unable make changes to the "UNcheck set host to cydia" in advanced because it was masked off not enabling me to check/ uncheck. please help me in this regards, thanks for your valuable suggestions. awaiting for your replies..

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
I received an error also while restoring, I used tiny umbrella to get it out of restore mode and noticed this thread after however, I have yet to try again.

Makes me wonder though..Why would the Jailbreak change it to Cydia, doesn't that mean if something happens to your phone and you are forced to restore you essentially have a bricked phone?

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Except for a sudden hardware failure, an iPhone cannot be bricked.
They can always be restored.
These errors are all due to operator inexperience.

I have heard of many cases where the phone is stuck on the apple logo and won't boot to the screen.

this would be one instance where you couldn't get it to the springboard and make the change in tiny umbrella right?

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
Phones that are stuck and won't boot just need to be restored.

TinyUmbrella has nothing to do with a restore or booting other than as a tool to change where your host file points or for exiting recovery mode

TinyUmbrella should not be open or running during a restore.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Phones that are stuck and won't boot just need to be restored.

TinyUmbrella has nothing to do with a restore or booting other than as a tool to change where your host file points or for exiting recovery mode

TinyUmbrella should not be open or running during a restore.

you are missing my point, people are having issues restoring because the host file is stuck on Cydia, so if you can't boot, you can't get into your phone to change the host file. therefor you are screwed

anyway, whats the point of having Cydia as the host file? What does it do?

Last edited:

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
you are missing my point, people are having issues restoring because the host file is stuck on Cydia, so if you can't boot, you can't get into your phone to change the host file. therefor you are screwed

anyway, whats the point of having Cydia as the host file? What does it do?

Unfortunately, you are missing the point !
The host file is in your computer, not in iDevice.
A host file can never be "stuck on Cydia". TinyUmbrella or tools like Terminal can always change it, followed by dumping the browser cache.
Since firmware manipulations are completed using a computer, often wiping/over-writing all content on the phone, the host file could not possibly be contained on a drive you are restoring.

eclipse01

macrumors 68030
May 16, 2011
Eau Claire, WI
Unfortunately, you are missing the point !
The host file is in your computer, not in iDevice.
A host file can never be "stuck on Cydia". TinyUmbrella or tools like Terminal can always change it, followed by dumping the browser cache.
Since firmware manipulations are completed using a computer, often wiping/over-writing all content on the phone, the host file could not possibly be contained on a drive you are restoring.

ohhhhhhhhhh I didn't know that, I guess that was my original question, just took a while for you to understand it (completely my fault).

Thanks ;)

cesarsilva

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2012
error 21

Hello everyone

So I have a iphone 4 with the same problem ERROR 21

I tried all you guys are saying just one thing to try the umbrella part, I will try when I get home today. However I will explain the problem I'm having and hope someone can bring light to this dark place :)

So I buy this iphone 4 as faulty, cheap... I new the phone was stuck in in restore and I was thinking that all it needed was to plug and restore :rolleyes:, nothing is easy in live, and this is no different. So if I plug the phone to the wall or PC I get the apple logo, but this is my head cracker, if the phone is not connected the phone will not turn on, nothing happens not if I press the power and home button. I now the battery is fully charged so it should power on, but it does not, only if connected to wall or PC. Is this normal? the phone doing this with error 21

So when I connect to PC and try to restore I will get the error 21, so I Google a fix and do as instructed. I deleted a ETC file and a different error appear, all I needed to do was update itunes, so I try again to restore but error 21 comes up again :mad: With or without ETC file (file is in recycle bin).

I think the phone must have been jailbreak... But if anyone have any ideas please help... I will try to do as u guys said but I'm new to this any instructions are welcome.

Thanks guys and sorry for the big love letter, LOL :D

nzon

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2012
It is your battery most likely. I had the same issue that phone would only stay powered when plugged in, and would get a fault code when trying to restore. Read another thread where fellow said to replace battery and like magic mine worked perfect when i did put another battery in.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
Error 21 means you are not in DFU-mode.

Do you need an unlock?

First try to find out if the phone has any SHSH's saved.

Download TinyUmbrella

Connect phone
Open TU

Go to the advanced tab, make sure get shsh from cydia is checked
Now on the main page hit save SHSH

Marcward

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2013
ok guys, I have the 1600 code error and I tried the first 2 paged of results with fixes on google and haven't managed to fix it. I saw some ppl saying that I must uncheck that things in TinyUmbrella, but I don't have acces to them, just can't change whether they are checked or unchecked. Any ideas?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.