Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Had an iPhone, tried Android, then what?

• Total voters

bigsexyy81

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 2, 2010
Many have had an iPhone and switched to an Android device. I'm curious as to how many switched back to an iPhone or stayed with the Android platform.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
I came from over 15 years of using Nokia phones to the iPhone for nearly a year.

Nothing I've seen as yet from the other manufacturers has tempted me from the iPhone !

I however still look at Nokia discussions and other forums even tho i no longer use other phone makes as i never want to close down my options.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
This thread makes me want to buy an Android phone just to try it out rather than listen to people complain about something they've never owned.

I think I will do that right now.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
from 4s went to note and hated it.

i rather have 64gb built in flash memory than 16gb note plus a slow arse microsd.

everything is so smooth in iOS even ICS can't compete.

i tried stunner ICS custom rom and even the official ICS from samsung, both suck. the OS doesn't suck, it's the third party apps that suck.

same twitter app, facebook app, speed test app, etc etc, the fluidility is not even as smooth as the iph 4, let alone the 4s.

what i like about android is the "quick ics browser" app, it makes one hand browsing so easy even on a huge note.

asgr8

macrumors member
Apr 8, 2010
I am doing that right now. I have been a loyal apple fan since iPhone 3g came out and now everything in my house is from apple. 2 MacBook pros, a Mac mini for media centre, iPad 3. My partner and I both had iPhone 4.

I got sort of tired of iPhone 4 and heated to try something new. Mind you my iPhone was already jailbroken and had all the extra desire features which comes with jaiobreaking scene. Still I wanted something more.

I sold my old sometimes sluggish iPhone 4 and bought a HTC one x. And using it from last one month. Android is good. There are so many things which I wish ios had or apple implement. Widgets and true multitasking are major wins.

The screen is beautiful and customization options are endless. I like that I don't have to use only one browser or only one app for certain thibg. I can make third party apps as default apps for certain apps which is a very good and handy feature. I would use android on day to day basis forever only and this is a big only... If

Android apps are a bit better. The apps are not very beautiful or elegant. I have been loiking for an app like tweetbot bit nope nothing. Or something like alienblue for reddit. There are many apps but no one is that polished or elegant as some nice ios apps are.

So in the end, I might go back to iPhone 5 when it gets released but that will be mostly because of apps and not because android sucks. Android is much better OS if you don't think like a fanboy but apps are better on iOS. As simple as that. :)

newdeal

macrumors 68030
Oct 21, 2009

I went from iphone 3g to a lg optimus one (returned) to a google nexus s (returned) to a desire hd then back to a iphone 4 then a 4s (returned) and back to a 4 again. Now I am looking at getting a razr maxx and using it for GSM. Nothing really has it nailed yet hopefully the new iphone will nail it (size, battery life, speed etc)

onthecouchagain

macrumors 604
Mar 29, 2011
Previous iPhone 4 and 4S owner. Now a galaxy nexus owner. The GN is by and far the best smartphone I've ever owned. A few areas of the iPhone have it beat (camera and storage size comes to mind) but everything else the GN is superior (mail, browser, keyboard, notifications, battery life, hspa+ speeds, etc.). I assume my experience will be in the minority here though.

Consider me a convert but I'm still watching closely at what Apple will bring to the table with iOS 6.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I was on iOS, then went to android with the Nexus One, and then on to the DroidX.

I moved back to iOS for a number of reasons. My company was going to lock down their exchange servers only allowing iPhone and Blackberries. Android phones (for the most part) did not have the same level of security as iOS and BB. This is changing but I couldn't take a chance.

Another reason, with the Droidx I saw slow and buggy updates from moto. Unlike apple, the maker of the OS releases the updates/upgrades to the hardware manufacturer. Its up to them to decide if they'll provide the upgrade to the phone. For the Droidx, it was 3 or 4 month wait but it was so buggy it was awful. I had to wait another 3 months for moto to issue a bug fix.

Final reason; lack of integration. I'm pretty much ingrained in the apple ecosystem, music, videos, iCloud etc. I found it very difficult to sync my music/playlists. The software I had worked intermittently, that is not all playlists or music would be synced. As for Videos/movies/tv shows - I was SOL because of DRM.

With iOS I get the apple experience I'm used too, faster updates and there's no fear that my organization will lock out the iPhone because security concerns.

bengi

macrumors regular
Jul 21, 2011
I have been a Palm user since 1999, way before the iPhone. I recall a MacWorld, during a press conference with some Apple guys, when I asked if Apple would have ever considered to implement into the iPod some features of the PDAs. Of course I did not get any replay since media can only ask questions related to the new product presented...

By the way, I kept using Palm and my last Palm was the Centro which is a telephone with Palm OS.

Then in 2010 I received my first iPad, soon I got my first iPhone and now I am quite happy, although this iCloud thing and the need to upgrade all my Macs to Lion or replace them is making me think about switching to Google for calendars and addresses.

Never tried an Android although the availability of Graffiti for Android is tempting me...

So when next september my contract with the carrier expires I am not 100% sure that my next telephone will be the iPhone 5 or an android, such as the Galaxi III.

Ben

Roessnakhan

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2007
ABQ
I've gone back and forth - the Android phones I stuck with the longest were the Nexus One and the Droid X. Both great devices, but I went back to iOS mainly for the apps. If I switched now it would be harder to use that excuse since a lot of things are cross platform now.

Kelly682

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2012
East Coast
My first touch screen phone was the first iPhone. I hated it. It wasn't the size, or the apps that I hated. It was the fact that the phone didn't have any buttons. I used it for about 6 months, couldn't stand it.

I then switched to a blackberry. I really don't know what I was thinking. I felt like I was using a phone from 1980. That damn trackball... ugh! I used that for about a year and a half.

Then the infamous Motorola Droid came out. I had to have it! Talk about glitchy, holy crap. The slide out keyboard? what a joke!!! I hated that phone. Used it for yep, another year and then I switched to my current phone, HTC Droid Incredible.

I've had this phone for about 2 years now. I don't hate it, but I'm not in love with it either. Now i'm used to a touch screen. I hate phones with buttons now, really annoying. This phone is glitchy as well. Always has been. I swear its posessed. The screen will turn on by itself. It'll scroll through the screens on its own. It'll even reboot by itself. The original battery started to die. I would end up with 25% after 6 hours off the charger, NOT USING THE PHONE. Ridiculous. So i thought I'd get a new phone. Upgraded to the Motorola Razr. The phone is HUGE!!! Again, glitchy. The phone was so big, I had to use 2 hands to function with it. Barely fit in my wristlet. From the first day, the widgets wouldn't work. Really? C'mon now. Absolutely ridiculous. So I returned it, and went back to my Incredible. Bought a new battery, and its been okay. Still posessed, but now my battery lasts a whole day. :)

I complain about my phone a lot. I'm over it. My sister has an iPhone 4. I've used it a few times. I love how its smooth. You press an icon and it just works. There is no fuss, no widgets, excellent camera. Its just a product that works. I am so tired of glitchy androids. I don't care how smooth ICS is supposed to be. I am converting back to Apple.

I bought an iPad (3rd gen) and it works flawlessly with my google calendar, gmail, again I just press an icon and it just works. Love Apple. When the new iPhone comes out, so long Android!!

3bs

macrumors 603
May 20, 2011
Dublin, Ireland
Considering this is a Mac based site, I'd imagine the majority of those who lept to Android are no longer active members here.

A lot of members here have Android phones but are active here. They probably have other Apple products.

I had a Galaxy Nexus for 2 weeks and I loved it but there were small things here and there that led me to go back to my 4S.

LSUtigers03

macrumors 68020
Apr 9, 2008
I stayed with Android. I'm picking up a Galaxy Note today. My iPad 2 fulfills my iOS needs.

Calidude

macrumors 68000
Jun 22, 2010
A lot of members here have Android phones but are active here. They probably have other Apple products.

I had a Galaxy Nexus for 2 weeks and I loved it but there were small things here and there that led me to go back to my 4S.
Such as? I'm thinking of buying that right now to finally try Android for myself.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Why is there no option of "Never owned an Android before"? Because I have never owned an android.

rgctx

macrumors regular
Apr 12, 2012
The Android OS is just to buggy for me, ever since my first Android i always had issues with sluggishness, freezing, random reboots, etc. First i thought it was the phone itself, spend more $$ on a better phone and still had similar issues. Then that horrible battery life.

Although we feel we overpay to use our iphone (dam* AT&T), me and
my wife are very happy with our phones, we havent had any issues
since we started using them.

I think android focuses to much on coming out with, cupcake, vanilla, ics, etc
os upgrades, that they just need to focus on making a better platform.

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
My smartphone usage goes back further than iOS.

Symbian S60/UIQ and Windows Mobile on various changes, iOS with the iPhone 3g and I then moved on to Android with the HTC Hero and stuck with the Nexus line of phones ever since.

I'm also using Windows Phone 7 but will primarily be sticking with Nexus handsets for the forseeable future. I also forgot I had a brief stint with the iPhone 3gs and gave it to my wife.

Govern1

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2011
NYC
Such as? I'm thinking of buying that right now to finally try Android for myself.

I went through a similar experience after purchasing a GSM unlocked Galaxy Nexus from the playstore. Overall I really enjoyed ICS and in all honesty I found Android 4.0 to be far superior to iOS in system wide integration (i.e. you don't need to log in details on every app) and all of the apps just integrate in superb fashion. Furthermore, the OS was quite smooth but there is a slight noticeable lag when compared to iOS. Hardware-wise, the 4.65 inch super amoled HD is gorgeous, and the phone itself was not that large, as it fits comfortably in the hand due to its curved back (also in the pocket because of the contour screen).

Still, as much as I enjoyed my 2 weeks with the Nexus, I had to go back to my 4S because of two key things (among other smaller but negligible issue): battery life and overall sound quality. I left the thing charging every night and took off with it at 1pm, and by 7pm it was already near dead. While the 4S battery isn't amazing it can get me through a full day of use, something the Nexus just can't. Sound quality was also shockingly poor on the Nexus (i actually use the phone to dial quite a lot). Finally, the deal-breaker was app quality. It isn't so noticeable in terms of design (especially with the halo layout in ICS) but some apps were just subpar on ICS when compared to iOS -> not to mention all of the innovative and interesting apps which are exclusive to iOS (I certainly missed a couple like clear, infinity blade). The Nexus was a great device but the 4S for my needs is a bit better.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Had an iPhone, tried Android, then what?
Had many Blackberries. Had an Android. Switched to iPhone. Tested a newer Android for work. Not switching back. Why does it matter? Use what works for you. What others do is irrelevant unless your only criteria is to keep up with the Joneses.

This thread makes me want to buy an Android phone just to try it out rather than listen to people complain about something they've never owned.
What everyone should do. You can't assess what you haven't tried. Applies to far more than just Android.

chokem

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Searcy, AR
Used BackBerrys for years. Switched to a 3GS, then an i4. I had a buddy telling me how great the Android OS was so like an idiot I sold my i4 and bought an HTC Inspire. After several weeks of trying my best to like it, I sold it and bought another i4. The experience was not good, but taught me a valuable lesson.

0m3ga

macrumors 6502
Mar 1, 2012
Used BackBerrys for years. Switched to a 3GS, then an i4. I had a buddy telling me how great the Android OS was so like an idiot I sold my i4 and bought an HTC Inspire. After several weeks of trying my best to like it, I sold it and bought another i4. The experience was not good, but taught me a valuable lesson.

The lesson was not to buy an HTC Inspire? You went from something like the iP4 to a phone with a crappy wvga screen, a tiny 1200mA battery, only 4gb of storage, and you were probably still using the Froyo OS. Coming from an ip4, i would have been pissed and switched back too.

There are only a couple of phones that I believe compete with the iP4S in both OS smoothness, capabilities, and hardware. Samsung Note (and soon to be Note 2), Samsung S3 and HTC One X. The Samsung S2 I would compare to the iPhone 4, not the 4S.

I think if you went to a store and tried the S3 or X1, you might be pleasantly surprised, especially with ICS running on great hardware.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.