Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

NewImage.png

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, the latest installment in the massively popular Counter-Strike series, will be arriving on the Mac on August 21. The game will launch the same day across all four supported platforms -- Mac, PC, Xbox 360, and PS3 --
according to a tweet from Polygon.

The most significant feature for Mac users will be full cross-platform multiplayer between gamers on both the PC and Mac.
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (CS: GO) will expand upon the team-based action gameplay that it pioneered when it was launched 12 years ago.

CS: GO features new maps, characters, and weapons and delivers updated versions of the classic CS content (de_dust, etc.). In addition, CS: GO will introduce new gameplay modes, matchmaking, leader boards, and more.

"Counter-Strike took the gaming industry by surprise when the unlikely MOD became the most played online PC action game in the world almost immediately after its release in August 1999," said Doug Lombardi at Valve. "For the past 12 years, it has continued to be one of the most-played games in the world, headline competitive gaming tournaments and selling over 25 million units worldwide across the franchise. CS: GO promises to expand on CS' award-winning gameplay and deliver it to gamers on the PC as well as the next gen consoles and the Mac."
There is no pricing information, but the game is expected to be delivered to Mac users via Valve's Steam gaming platform.

Article Link: Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Coming to the Mac August 21

stuckwithme247

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003
I would just pay some money for CS 1.6 on Mac. Will never happy I'm afraid.

Pay some money for Windows 7 on an Intel Mac and you are good to go :)

----------

Hope it'll be multiplayer for PC to consoles as well.

I don't think it will be. Traditionally they don't allow that because the aiming with a keyboard and mouse is a much different experience and might allow an unfair advantage for PC users.

koolmagicguy

macrumors 6502
Feb 19, 2012
New York
I like gaming on my 13" MBP and I'll probably get this when it comes out. However, I hate Steam. I'd prefer if they release it on the Mac App Store. I've never bought a game externally. I like being able to download it again for free.

Durendal

macrumors 6502
Apr 12, 2003
I like gaming on my 13" MBP and I'll probably get this when it comes out. However, I hate Steam. I'd prefer if they release it on the Mac App Store. I've never bought a game externally. I like being able to download it again for free.
You can download it again for free on Steam too, you know. On both OS X and Windows. You don't get that with the Mac App Store.

stuckwithme247

macrumors regular
Jan 14, 2003

Steam works great, I've never had any serious problems with it. As far as Half-Life 2, Portal and CS go it's the only place you are going to find them on the Mac. The company that develops them also owns Steam. You can download games from Steam as many times as you need to, and even make a backup of the game for DVD or hard drive storage.

Pakaku

macrumors 68040
Aug 29, 2009
Traditionally they don't allow that because the aiming with a keyboard and mouse is a much different experience and might allow an unfair advantage for PC users.

It's always adorable whenever I play against someone who insists on using a gamepad in a PC game :)

C

champ01

Would've been nice if the poster added that the game is only downloadable on STEAM and not the Mac App Store. ;)

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007

What does the Mac App Store have that Steam doesn't? Other than a different target audience (all Mac users instead of all gamers), I can't think of anything.

Steam offers developers a lot of APIs to integrate their games with it. The Mac App Store offers very few APIs... in app purchases and that's about it, I think.

I fully intend to release my next app (a game) via Steam. I may or may not release it on the Mac App Store, depending on Apple's rules regarding allowing people who acquired the game other ways to share high scores / play multiplayer with people who got it from other stores.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
How will they get around the OS X mouse acceleration curve? They had better do it somehow, because playing a competitive FPS with mouse acceleration would be extremely frustrating.

koruki

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2009
New Zealand

How is Steam diff from the App Store???

gotluck

macrumors 603
Dec 8, 2011
East Central Florida
I got in the beta for this about two weeks ago. It feels like a mix between cs 1.6 and source - I'm a fan. It feels slick and smooth, shots feel on target. They haven't included all the gun's secondaries like the m4 and usp's silencer, which I hope will get added. Netcode and hitboxes are the most important part though and they feel good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.