Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Larrywb

macrumors member
Aug 27, 2010
CT
The dictation feature is my favorite new feature. It works really, really well. You can say various punctuation symbols to insert those (e.g., comma, period, colon), but I had a tough time figuring out how to insert a line break. I did some searching and I think I came across a manual for Dragon Dictation which uses Nuance and I believe that Nuance is what's used by the iOS dictation. Sure enough, the commands they use worked for iOS. So to insert a line break, you say "New Line" and to insert two line breaks, you say "New Paragraph".

or you can say "next line" I also say "hyphen" and it works.

example:

Jim"hypen" "next line"
I'm running late, be there in a few minutes "period" "next line"
"hyphen"Larry

* I like how you can send an actual legit email through dictation!

vastoholic

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2009
Tulsa, OK
or you can say "next line" I also say "hyphen" and it works.

example:

Jim"hypen" "next line"
I'm running late, be there in a few minutes "period" "next line"
"hyphen"Larry

* I like how you can send an actual legit email through dictation!

Oddly enough the spam bump above me reminded me to ask a question.

Is there a way to dictate individual letters like. I can't remember the instance that I was trying to use it the other day, but for example trying to dictate model number or something like "C87NF54". Is it possible to have the dictation not write "see 8 7 in eff 5 4". I'm not sure if that's how it would actually type. I just remember driving the other day trying to text someone using dictation and I was stumped on how to get it do something like this so I just waited till I hit a stop light eventually.

moonman239

Cancelled
Mar 27, 2009
The dictation feature is my favorite new feature. It works really, really well. You can say various punctuation symbols to insert those (e.g., comma, period, colon), but I had a tough time figuring out how to insert a line break. I did some searching and I think I came across a manual for Dragon Dictation which uses Nuance and I believe that Nuance is what's used by the iOS dictation. Sure enough, the commands they use worked for iOS. So to insert a line break, you say "New Line" and to insert two line breaks, you say "New Paragraph".

I like the fact that there's dictation, but I can see two ways to improve it and Siri:

1) I shouldn't have to tell it to put in punctuation. It should be able to know where to put it in.
2) My speech is imperfect. The iPhone/iPad should detect any imperfections in my speech and figure out what I want the device to write.

Example: Currently, if I say "I'd like to go to NYC, but..uh...travel there is...just...just too cheap-I mean, expensive," my phone will write "I'd like to go to NYC but uh travel there is just just too cheap I mean expensive," when it should write "I'd like to go to NYC, but travel there is just too expensive."

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
I like the fact that there's dictation, but I can see two ways to improve it and Siri:

1) I shouldn't have to tell it to put in punctuation. It should be able to know where to put it in.
2) My speech is imperfect. The iPhone/iPad should detect any imperfections in my speech and figure out what I want the device to write.

Example: Currently, if I say "I'd like to go to NYC, but..uh...travel there is...just...just too cheap-I mean, expensive," my phone will write "I'd like to go to NYC but uh travel there is just just too cheap I mean expensive," when it should write "I'd like to go to NYC, but travel there is just too expensive."
So you want them to add interpretation. I'd love that too but there just isn't the algorithms yet. Nuance is the best out there currently.

Blackforge

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2008
Oddly enough the spam bump above me reminded me to ask a question.

Is there a way to dictate individual letters like. I can't remember the instance that I was trying to use it the other day, but for example trying to dictate model number or something like "C87NF54". Is it possible to have the dictation not write "see 8 7 in eff 5 4". I'm not sure if that's how it would actually type. I just remember driving the other day trying to text someone using dictation and I was stumped on how to get it do something like this so I just waited till I hit a stop light eventually.

Say the word "letter" in front of the letter you want to be placed into the message. So for example: "letter C 8 7 letter N letter F 5 4"

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Swipe, swipe, swipe

Not sure weather this has even been metioned, but you don't have to go back to Home screen, or pull up the Recent app list, just to switch between multiple running apps,

Just four finger swipe left/right

Works just like in Mountain Lion

Last edited:

A1ik

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2010
iPhone 5 dances when receives calls:

Last edited by a moderator:

RylanH16

macrumors member
Dec 4, 2012
Cropping error

Sometimes when I'm in the photo app and tap the crop button the screen goes white and my iPod restarts. It really pissed me off the first time.

----------

iPhone 5 dances when receives calls:

YouTube: video

lol how doesnt it fall over

MarbleMedal2084

macrumors newbie
Dec 24, 2012
On any sort of iPhone. You can push the lock screen button and the home button at the same time to take a picture of ur screen. Something I didn't know until 3 months after I got the phone.

shandyman

Suspended
Apr 24, 2010
Dublin, Ireland
Pandora recently updated their app to take advantage of lock screen album art. I haven't seen any other 3rd party apps do this yet so I presume it's an iOS 5 feature.

I also wonder if this now streams Pandora album art to Apple TV.

Spotify did it here in the UK a while back, prob a year and half.

Abutterflygirl

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2013
I found that if you attempt to use the red-eye removal tool, and it doesn't detect red eye... you are stuck. There is no back, or cancel button to get you back to the camera roll.

...but that's not really a feature...

All you have to do is tap on the black mark and it goes away. You don't need the back button for this feature. It's kinda like a marker and an eraser.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.