Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rygamble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
Okay, I used Absinthe to install the jailbreak the first time on 5.0, but I'm a little unsure on how to upgrade. Do I just install 5.1.1 and then jailbreak? Or is there another way? Also, I read something about shsh blobs or something like that related to the 4S, and I'm just wondering what those are and what I do with them. Oh, and what's the best way to keep all of my tweaks? Am I going to have to install them all again after I update? Sorry for all the questions, just a real noob to jailbreaking, and I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks!

kiba283

macrumors newbie
Jul 20, 2010
Okay, I used Absinthe to install the jailbreak the first time on 5.0, but I'm a little unsure on how to upgrade. Do I just install 5.1.1 and then jailbreak? Or is there another way? Also, I read something about shsh blobs or something like that related to the 4S, and I'm just wondering what those are and what I do with them. Oh, and what's the best way to keep all of my tweaks? Am I going to have to install them all again after I update? Sorry for all the questions, just a real noob to jailbreaking, and I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks!

Hi!

SHSH blobs are your insurance policy in case your OS gets fudged down the line and you need to restore back to your current version. When Apple releases a new OS update, it isn't 'officially' possible to roll back to a previous one (ex: you can't officially get on 5.0.1 right now but rather, are forced to use 5.1.1). This can be problematic for new versions which haven't been jailbroken yet, you can imagine.

With that out of the way, just follow the below:

1. Download the latest Windows version of TinyUmbrella (google it), plug in your device, and back up your SHSH's (look up a detailed guide if you can't figure it out - it's pretty easy).

2. Use PKGBackup or write down the names of your favorite Cydia apps & sources. You will need to manually add/install them again in case you choose the latter option.

3. Back up your photos, movies, contacts and other personal effects.

4. Download the latest IPSW for your device manually, or let iTunes do it automatically.

5. Many choose to create a backup of their device; I don't. I like that 'fresh start' feeling whenever I upgrade to a new OS and jailbreak - has its own charm. Hence, if you intend to follow the same path.... start the update and let it wipe your device.

6. Set your iPhone up as a new device when asked (or restore from backup if you prefer).

7. Download the Absinthe package and let it do its thing. Proceed to restore your favorite Cydia apps / repos and enjoy.

Any other questions, feel free to PM me.

rygamble

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 1, 2012
Hi!

SHSH blobs are your insurance policy in case your OS gets fudged down the line and you need to restore back to your current version. When Apple releases a new OS update, it isn't 'officially' possible to roll back to a previous one (ex: you can't officially get on 5.0.1 right now but rather, are forced to use 5.1.1). This can be problematic for new versions which haven't been jailbroken yet, you can imagine.

1. Download the latest Windows version of TinyUmbrella (google it), plug in your device, and back up your SHSH's (look up a detailed guide if you can't figure it out - it's pretty easy).

2. Use PKGBackup or write down the names of your favorite Cydia apps & sources. You will need to manually add/install them again in case you choose the latter option.

4. Download the latest IPSW for your device manually, or let iTunes do it automatically.

5. Many choose to create a backup of their device; I don't. I like that 'fresh start' feeling whenever I upgrade to a new OS and jailbreak - has its own charm. Hence, if you intend to follow the same path.... start the update and let it wipe your device.

6. Set your iPhone up as a new device when asked (or restore from backup if you prefer).

7. Download the Absinthe package and let it do its thing. Proceed to restore your favorite Cydia apps / repos and enjoy.

I really appreciate the quick and detailed response! Anyways, thanks, and I'll let you know if I have any problems!

P51

macrumors regular
Sep 9, 2009
Hi!

Is restore from backup the same as just restoring photos/contacts etc....? I'm confused

Because you say back up your photos but then later you say you don't restore with a backup?.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Hi!

Granted, while creating a backup is recommended (I do it), I know you're being the purist in setting up the phone as new.. but that's a bit overkill..

You could just:

1. Download the full 5.1.1 IPSW for your phone (iClarified and RedmondPie have the details),

2. Plug in your iPhone,

3. Hold down the Alt key, click Update, navigate to the full IPSW you downloaded, and select it,

4. Let the Update process lay down the entirely new iOS,

5. Download Absinthe, and run it.

6. restore your Cydia Apps, and finally,

7. Back up your iPhone.

Similar, and I see what you're getting at. Both get the job done.

BL.

andydraysen

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
hi guys,
I have an iphone 4s with baseband 2.0.10 on 5.1....I want to update to 5.1.1 without losing the baseband. I've looked elsewhere and can't find a guide for the 4s...they are all for the iphone 4. Any help?

andydraysen

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
thanks for the reply....i figured since i couldn't find it anywhere.

is it possible to jailbreak 5.1 i found jailbreak for 5.1.1 on iclarified. also would jailbreak affect my baseband?

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
You require the jailbreak and the FuriousMod Source for CDMA iPhone 4S unlocking, but the normal one does not. You just need the 2nd editions of the Gevey(any Gevey Ultra S or R-SIM II/III) on 5.1/5.1.1(2.0.10 and 2.0.12). Seeing as you can't upgrade to 5.1 anymore without shsh and there is no jailbreak, you need to upgrade to the current 5.1.1 in iTunes and then run Absinthe 2.0.4 or redsn0w. My post is in reference to the guy inquiring about preserving baseband, not the OP.

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
You require the jailbreak and the FuriousMod Source for CDMA iPhone 4S unlocking, but the normal one does not. You just need the 2nd editions of the Gevey(any Gevey Ultra S or R-SIM II/III) on 5.1/5.1.1(2.0.10 and 2.0.12). Seeing as you can't upgrade to 5.1 anymore without shsh and there is no jailbreak, you need to upgrade to the current 5.1.1 in iTunes and then run Absinthe 2.0.4 or redsn0w. My post is in reference to the guy inquiring about preserving baseband, not the OP.

That clears it up

LandonDonovan

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
So you just have to click on Restore in iTunes if you don't care about saving your baseband seeing as only the iPhone 4 and some older 3GS iPhones require the older basebands for unlocking.

ZCherub

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2010
GA, USA
Software upgrade wont work on jailbroken phones

Wrong.

its best to write them down and install them individually to make sure they still work with 5.1.1

Right.

----------

So you just have to click on Restore in iTunes if you don't care about saving your baseband seeing as only the iPhone 4 and some older 3GS iPhones require the older basebands for unlocking.

Yes.

Obviously this only applies to the newest firmware that Apple is still authenticating. If you're trying to save an older baseband as you said, or if you're trying to restore to an older firmware that Apple no longer signs, the process is a bit different.

andydraysen

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
actually landon was right. I had already purchased gevey. i decided to upgrade and let the baseband upgrade as well cause gevey supports 2.0.12. So far so good. I've been able to jailbreak. i appreciate everyones help!

dhlizard

macrumors G4
Mar 16, 2009
The Jailbreak Community
actually landon was right. I had already purchased gevey. i decided to upgrade and let the baseband upgrade as well cause gevey supports 2.0.12. So far so good. I've been able to jailbreak. i appreciate everyones help!

But, the Gevey sim is irrelevant to being able to jailbreak.
All current iDevices except AppleTV3 can be jailbroken. Your Gevey sim has nothing to do with you being able to jailbreak.
Only a few devices with specific basebands can be hardware or software unlocked.

Jailbreak-Unlock chart

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.