Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Hey guys, so I am in need of some assistance and I am hoping that someone can help me out. Recently, I have been storing all my passwords for all my various accounts inside of Adress Book. However, that is not a very safe idea in my mind because if anyone gets on my computer or phone, then they have access to everything.

I am looking for a good alternative to store all my passwords. If possible, I would love to have an app that also has an iOS companion app. I often need to look up passwords on my iPad and iPhone, and being able to do it in the Contacts app is great, but again, not very secure.

Thanks for all your help!

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Hey guys, so I am in need of some assistance and I am hoping that someone can help me out. Recently, I have been storing all my passwords for all my various accounts inside of Adress Book. However, that is not a very safe idea in my mind because if anyone gets on my computer or phone, then they have access to everything.
Why haven't you been using Keychain to save passwords? That's what it's there for.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
Why haven't you been using Keychain to save passwords? That's what it's there for.

I do save my passwords to Keychain. But I always thought that was more of something that the system did on its own, like if I were to sign into an account of mine on Safari or Chrome, it would save the password in Keychain Access.

I am looking at it now under the "Passwords" section and I see the plus button. But I was looking for something that would allow me to put in more information, much like I do in my Address Book. Is there any application that acts as a happy medium between the two?

Also, like I already mentioned, I was really hoping for something that would have an iOS companion app so I can always check that information if I need to. Can you think of anything like that?

Edit: Something I was just thinking about. I basically just want a more secure address book. An address book where I have to type in a password every time in order to get it and look at everything. Also, I want one that has an app for iOS. Not sure if this exists though :/ Maybe it does, but hopefully not too expensive either.

Last edited:

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I am looking at it now under the "Passwords" section and I see the plus button. But I was looking for something that would allow me to put in more information, much like I do in my Address Book.
You can also store any kind of information you want in Secure Notes in Keychain. If you search the forum, you may find several recommendations on password managers that work with Mac OS X and iOS.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
1password. Syncs between Mac, PC and iOS devices thru Dropbox. Extremely secure.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
You can also store any kind of information you want in Secure Notes in Keychain. If you search the forum, you may find several recommendations on password managers that work with Mac OS X and iOS.

Alright, thank you for your help!

1password. Syncs between Mac, PC and iOS devices thru Dropbox. Extremely secure.

I am a normal Dropbox user for most of my documents. Does this mean I would have to manually upload and download contacts through Dropbox? Or does the app just use the Dropbox service to sync and everything that is done is transparent to the user? And how much Dropbox space would it take up?

And is it something where you have to buy the iOS license, OS X license, and PC license all separately?

EDIT: Should have just googled it before asking. It looks like the Mac & PC bundle is $70 and the iOS app is $15, so $85 total, a little steep. Do you think it is worth it? Also, have you heard of DataVault? If so, what have you heard? And thank in advance for your help :)

Xe89

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2009
EDIT: Should have just googled it before asking. It looks like the Mac & PC bundle is $70 and the iOS app is $15, so $85 total, a little steep. Do you think it is worth it?

There is a trial period of 30 days. Download it, use it, and see if it's worth the money.

leiren7

macrumors newbie
Jan 12, 2010
I may not give the best answer, but I'm using evernote to do the job... I kept them encrypted and keep them synced on all my devices, where I can get access from to my Password any time any where.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Alright, thank you for your help!

I am a normal Dropbox user for most of my documents. Does this mean I would have to manually upload and download contacts through Dropbox? Or does the app just use the Dropbox service to sync and everything that is done is transparent to the user? And how much Dropbox space would it take up?

And is it something where you have to buy the iOS license, OS X license, and PC license all separately?

EDIT: Should have just googled it before asking. It looks like the Mac & PC bundle is $70 and the iOS app is $15, so $85 total, a little steep. Do you think it is worth it? Also, have you heard of DataVault? If so, what have you heard? And thank in advance for your help :)

I tried several before choosing 1password, and though it's not a cheap application, it's high encryption, flexibility and support for all my needs with transparent, immediate syncing through Dropbox - oh and web access to passwords as well - just does everything I need so well I am completely satisfied. Rare today.

I'm sure there are other apps that will work as well. I stop testing them when I found 1password.

Ccrew

macrumors 68020
Feb 28, 2011
I use eWallet. It's Mac, Windows, IOS, etc. Cheaper than 1Password. Easy to sync the file via dropbox.

burningteufel

macrumors newbie
Jan 10, 2012

I am looking for a good alternative to store all my passwords. If possible, I would love to have an app that also has an iOS companion app. I often need to look up passwords on my iPad and iPhone, and being able to do it in the Contacts app is great, but again, not very secure.

Thanks for all your help!

Keepassx on the Mac. You can create a password protected archive kdb file with username, password,URL,notes... It works great and it's free. Put that archive in Dropbox for portability. I don't use iOS, however a quick google search indicate a paid app called iKeepass as possible companion.

tantalic

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2012
1Password

I've been a very happy 1Password user since 2009 and HIGHLY recommend it to everyone. It can securely store and autofill your passwords, contact information, and payment information. I also recommend you use the built-in password generator to create strong passwords. Syncs with drop box across multiple macs, iPhone, and iPad. It's not the cheapest solution, but it is well worth the price in the convenience and security it provides.

As others have noted they have a free trial for the Mac so give it a try.

Last edited:

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
I may not give the best answer, but I'm using evernote to do the job... I kept them encrypted and keep them synced on all my devices, where I can get access from to my Password any time any where.

Does that put a password on the note so that you must type it in before viewing it?

I use eWallet. It's Mac, Windows, IOS, etc. Cheaper than 1Password. Easy to sync the file via dropbox.

I need to check that one out for sure. Thanks!

1Password. It's never let me down. Syncs with dropbox.

Definitely seems like a lot of people like 1Password.

AirThis

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2012
I use Ascendo DataVault. You can sync it between IOS and the Desktop version.

A few things I like about it:

- There are nested folders
- The database is encrypted using AES (just like 1Password). If you use a strong passphrase your data will be reasonably secure.
- You can set the database to be wiped if someone provides an incorrect master password several times in a row (actually this is not necessarily useful, but I like the idea :D)
- Syncs with Desktop software via DropBox, iCloud, Wifi, Itunes sharing

A few things I dislike about it:

- Color schemes are not to my taste. Some odd colors for the themes.
- You can't add new icons to the database.For instance, it would be nice to have an official Apple logo associated with my iCloud account entry. Instead the closest I found is an icon representing a cherry.
- The interface for the desktop software is a bit odd at times (some functions don't feel Mac-like to me).

Overall, I'd have no problem recommending DataVault. I'm not sure where it stands versus 1Password, but I'm happy enough with it for the moment and I like the nested folders.

strausd

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 11, 2008
Texas
So I know it has been a while since I responded to this, but I tried out Ascendo's DataVault. At first, it was kinda cool. I'll be honest though, I mainly bought it because it was cheaper. And I totally regret it. The more I use it, the more I hate it. Syncing sucks, UI sucks, so many bugs in all versions of the apps. Feels like the developers don't even support it anymore.

I tried 1Password and absolutely love it. I guess you get what you pay for. I just wish I wouldn't have wasted $20 on DataVault first...

Wellsn

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2010

I agree. Evernote is my GO TO resource for anything mobile I don't use icloud for, i.e.. recipes, photos of a wine bottle label I enjoyed, daily coupons and yes, passwords in a file. I keep an excel ss as well as keychain.
good advice here all the way around.

Going to check out last pass now.

cutter74

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2012
Aren't you guys worried about keeping your passwords to the cloud? Dropbox has already been hacked once you know! If we're talking about forum passwords then I can see why one would not be concerned, but if we're talking about keeping passwords to financial institutions of credit card information, it just sounds like you're asking for trouble. Just my 2 cents worth...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.