Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
Here's a nice, big, hi-res one to work with, if anyone wants to try. Can anyone produce a 'fake' as nice as the one posted here?

http://i.imgur.com/XZBMv

----------

Pretty weak sauce if this is what we're getting, though. Hopefully the 15" is better.

It's fully possible. Why does everyone asssume photoshop though? You can render it. You can make nice vector type, print it out on the correct stock, then photograph that with a camera phone. If you use good prior reference (same kind of document, older specs) for the document creation and match everything properly, you can make it incredibly convincing. It depends on the effort invested.

This would be a pretty disappointing upgrade after all the hype but then again, all the reports have only discussed the 15" MBP. If nothing else, at least the specs in the picture include 2 USB 3.0 ports.

I wonder if it's based on two discrete usb3 ports internally or if you're just getting one split.

Maybe, maybe not? The noise in the photo looks pretty uniform. To my eyes, there's nothing about it that looks really fake.

Here's a challenge - can you take that photo, edit it so that the specs are a bit more impressive, and then post the results? :)

Can anyone? Surely on a Mac-oriented forum there has to be some Photoshop wizard who could do this?

Not feeling like it. It would be easier to make a more convincing version using the method described above, or just via rendering.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
I think it's real.

The updates are modest enough to be believable. People need to temper their expectation around new products. Apple do one big new thing very rarely but then they iterate and iterate.

Rizzm

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2012
Can someone, who is more familiar with the hardware available to Apple for the next refresh of the MBP 13", comment on the chance that the entry model will have a quad core and/or dedicated graphics? I desire both of these in the small footprint so badly!

MR.BUTTON

macrumors member
I got the picture from another chinese forum called "weiphone."

I really hope the picture is fake too because i really want a quad core 13 inch laptop...

i know that forum! where is the link?:roll eyes:the new ivy bridge doesn't include a CPU that clocks at 2.5GHZ. it base is 2.6ghz and boost up to 3.3ghz.it is sandy bridge. fake

Last edited:

JoshGlzBrk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 27, 2009

Southernboyj

macrumors 68000
Mar 8, 2012
Mobile, AL
So 1 year for just 1333 -> 1600 Ram and 2 USB 3.0s (also possible ivy bridge) and Intel HD4000 graphics, Lame :l If anything I'd like the screen to be on-par with the 2011 MBA

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
It's fully possible. Why does everyone asssume photoshop though? You can render it. You can make nice vector type, print it out on the correct stock, then photograph that with a camera phone. If you use good prior reference (same kind of document, older specs) for the document creation and match everything properly, you can make it incredibly convincing. It depends on the effort invested.
Who'd be a dodgy cat like that? :confused:

Real, Real, I say, Real.

iamthedudeman

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2007
Well in case no one noticed, this is the same source that leaked the MacBook Pro specs last year, and we know how that turned out. It was spot on.

If seems this is legit. Lets assume it is. This raises allot of questions, first this indicates that the 13 MBP is going away. The Air 13 inch is still not on par power wise as the 13 MBP. Apple knows this. Hence the need for the 13 inch MBP.

Second, if this leak is true, Apple feels that the Air is not enough for power users, yet. Once the Air 13 inch can do everything the 13 MBP can do you will see it gone.

Why have two 13 inch laptops that can do the same thing? You can only make a 13 inch so thin and not give up performance. The 13 Air isn't there yet. This leaked 13 inch will run cooler and better. The i5 ivy bridge is almost on par with last years Sandy bridge i7. GPU 4000 is better than 3000 and the inclusion of USB 3.0 is a given. Bigger battery?

And lets not forget, a Quad core i7 may be avail.

The screen is disappointing though if this leak is real.

Last edited:

omenatarhuri

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2010
The screen is disappointing though if this leak is real.
I figured it out! Retinas will be BTO at price X. This will keep starting prices low while giving new bells and whistles to those who got the moneyz.

This would be consistent with all the rumors to date. The spec sheet and retinas coming.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
Man, I really hope this is just the new "MacBook" that is a rebranded old 13" MBP design with a new 999$ price tag.

There will be a $999 MBP even if a refresh is announced. 2011 MBP will be available for $100-$150 less at Best Buy while supplies last.

If you want a refreshed machine for $200 less than retail, buy a refurb off the Apple store in Aug or Sep. ^^

youfoundblake

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
It's interesting that the box has Mac OS X rather than just OS X.

It could mean that it isn't coming pre loaded with mountain lion, as that will be the first OS X to officially drop the 'Mac' from its name.

Jamesesesesess

macrumors 6502a
Nov 26, 2011
Here's a nice, big, hi-res one to work with, if anyone wants to try. Can anyone produce a 'fake' as nice as the one posted here?

http://i.imgur.com/XZBMv

----------

Pretty weak sauce if this is what we're getting, though. Hopefully the 15" is better.

No, you guys don't understand what I was saying. I could remake that label and print it to look real, crease, rounded corners, and all. What font is that, Myriad?

Another thing that I noticed is that in this picture, the box extends to the right, insisting that the label is on the top left of the box. The label on the latest box is on the top right of the box.

DSC_0231-MacBook-Pro-13-Placed-on-Box.jpg

Doesn't mean they can't change the label to the other side, but it's just more evidence it's likely fake.

Thankyou, exactly my point.

Does it honestly sound that out there that a site would print one of these out to get more viewers?

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
This won't be the new 13" Macbook Pro (or Air if they are merged). It's either:

1) Fake. As covered, there is an incentive to fake this.
2) The format of the 2008 unibody 13" MBP is becoming the new Macbook and Apple are 'merging' lines.

kennerpl

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2012
Another thing that I noticed is that in this picture, the box extends to the right, insisting that the label is on the top left of the box. The label on the latest box is on the top right of the box.

IMO the base of the sticker is not a box, just the label paper.

88 King

macrumors 6502
Jun 18, 2011
London, UK
,Right now I think it is more likely the new mbp will have the same resolution screen, since there are no leaks of the high res screen so far.

Apple really needs to introduce higher specs on their mbp. For comparison, I just ordered a new Sony Vaio Z for £1,060.

For the same price as a basic 13" mbp at £999, I'm getting:

13" 1920X1080 screen
quad core i7 ivy bridge processor (i7-3612QM)
4Gb RAM
128Gb SSD
slice battery (4400mAh)
2 years warenty

All of the above in a carbon fiber/magnesium body weight less than the 13" mba, and have the same battery life. The shipping time is 3 to 4 weeks, so lets see if Apple will introduce a mbp worth canceling the Viao.

I know some members don't want to use Windows, But for those of us who don't mind, the 13" mbp at current screen resolution just don't cut it for people need to work with Excel or phot/video editing on the road.

iamdavekennedy

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
London / Belfast
No, you guys don't understand what I was saying. I could remake that label and print it to look real, crease, rounded corners, and all. What font is that, Myriad?

Doesn't mean they can't change the label to the other side, but it's just more evidence it's likely fake.

Thankyou, exactly my point.

Does it honestly sound that out there that a site would print one of these out to get more viewers?

The typeface is called Myriad Apple, it's a tweaked version of Myriad Pro that Apple use. However, as mentioned in my previous post, the width of the V especially seems to differ by about .5 of a mm from visually aligning a retyped version in InDesign.

This could mean nothing, it could be a printer/stock error or just that the image shot is very slightly concave.

It would be very easy to go into any program and make your own, print it out onto label paper and stick it down. I believe anybody here could do that therefore proving that to doubters is rather pointless.

What this *seems* to be is either 1. Just a spec list sticker to be put onto boxes PRIOR to it's application. or 2. Spec information for price/information pointing in stores which haven't implemented the iPad replacements for display points.

Again, as mentioned before this seems like a feasible and very realistic spec bump, I'd love to see something more substantial, but we're all getting flushed from all the rumours leading us astray and dismissing a realistic middle ground.

Fingers crossed, but I'd still be happy with this from a 13" unit as standard, we can all hissy fit and stamp our feet all we like, when it comes down to it, the majority of us would still purchase this over competitors if we were in the market for a 13" notebook and had a grand to spare!

----------

Here's your fake label, did it in 10 minutes as I said was possible.

HQ: http://i.imgur.com/TQqix.png

See? Simple. Print it out, fold it to get that little crease, slap it on anything white, and you have Apple fans in chaos.

Here's hoping people actually pay attention to this! Someone print it out and reshoot it, tell you what, for $10 I'll redesign one with your dream spec on it and you can print it out and stick it on your box when it arrives!

MisterSensitive

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2012
I know I'm in the minority, but aside from no quad core on 13", I am relieved by the dubious promises of this rumor.

I still want FW, I still want an optical drive (for 2nd HD), I want USB 3.0, I want an SSD. This is almost my ideal machine (with a 16G RAM boost). If true, I'm glad I waited, since I am otherwise poised to get current model at discount in case the new MBP drops opto and FW.

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
I'm going to cry.

//overdramatic

Could easily be faked, but on one hand, wouldn't be surprised at all if it was true. On the other hand, I'd certainly be disappointed.

A thinner 13in MBP with retina (or at the very least, higher resolution) and a dedicated GPU, USB3.0, plus standard SSD (or easily user-upgradeable) and user-upgradeable RAM sounded like a dream!

salmoally

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2012
I think this is real. I think Apple will keep it around as a cheap laptop for the average joe. There used to be a fully featured laptop which cost £699 (white macbook) this is probably the replacement.

The 15" is going to get the real action, most if not all the rumours have been about the 15". Fine by me because I need at least a 15" screen, sucks for those waiting for a 13" though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.