Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

themcfly

macrumors regular
Jul 20, 2011
I think retina display it's not happening right now because the resource consumption would be too high in relation to the benefit of using it, especially on a mobile computer. On the other side, Apple has to get rid of this ugly 1280x800 and 1440x900 on 13" and 15". 1440x900 and 1680x1050 has to become STANDARD, they are decent from a typical viewing distance…

Heilage

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2009
Wow. 1280x800?

Asus just put 1080p in their Zenbook, and Apple are staying with this resolution. I have to say that I am disappointed, Apple often used to push higher resolutions.

EDIT: Unless they are the specs of some kind of bottom line cheaper alternative, that is. Or it might be fake. :)

djrod

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2008
Madrid - Spain
Maybe, maybe not? The noise in the photo looks pretty uniform. To my eyes, there's nothing about it that looks really fake.

Here's a challenge - can you take that photo, edit it so that the specs are a bit more impressive, and then post the results? :)

Can anyone? Surely on a Mac-oriented forum there has to be some Photoshop wizard who could do this?

You can do a fake label, print it, take a photograph and Boom, here is the 2012 MBP.

Blobs21

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
I don't have a problem

This is going to be the entry level computer for a lot of people kind of the like the MacBook was a few years ago. I can see this computer eventually fading out. I also think the price is going to drop on this computer pretty significantly. It will be the perfect laptop with both price and capabilities. Doesn't need all the fancy stuff that the 15 inch will have.

GoGa

macrumors regular
Feb 5, 2012
I think it's fake. Someone could easily print that out and stick it on the box. Also notice how on the label it says 'Mac OS X' when apple has clearly been pushing just 'OS X' with mountain lion?

b-dogg

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2009
My god. That's an embarrassing refresh. Still using HDD's?? Still the same res?? Are they trying to kill the Pro? If they actually try and tart this up in a presentation as the future of the Pro I will laugh out loud.

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
I think it's fake. Someone could easily print that out and stick it on the box. Also notice how on the label it says 'Mac OS X' when apple has clearly been pushing just 'OS X' with mountain lion?

It could come with Lion preinstalled. It's still 'Mac OS X' for Lion, even when Apple updated the Mac OS X "logo" in About this Mac in 10.7.4.

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Probably real. It's always so that people make over-expectations of what apple will release and then they come out with just a small spec bumps and people gets disappointed....not the first time. I think the retina display thing should wait until gfx cards are ready for it, currently I take performance before resolution.
I never understood the point of Apple releasing a thinner pro though either. Pro is pro and air is air, if the hardware can get smaller, then they should just pump up specs instead on the pro...not compete with their air model, no sense in that. Pro machines are meant for more heavy work and air is meant for casual use.

Though, I honestly don't care, as long as they release a new iMac. Hate to work on a laptop anyway.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
They could've bumped up the screen resolution slightly. Even if it weren't "retina" why not the same resolution as the 13" MBA?

Also I do want to mention that this doesn't disprove a different 15" Macbook Pro. When Apple refreshed the lineup years ago to the current Unibody design, the 17" model didn't change at the same time, but a few months later.

Lastly were we really expecting any major change to the 13" model? Wouldn't a thinner profile etc be stepping on MBA territory?

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I'll probably be upgrading out of necessity (getting the rainbow ball too often on my 2007 MBA these days...) but I was really hoping for something more.

slnko-v-sieti

macrumors member
Aug 24, 2011
Don't worry. This is likely an entry level / "legacy" machine for users who feel they can't yet jettison the super drive. (Thus the only slight refresh, focusing instead on the redesigned models.) Dumping physical media is something of which non-Mac types (and even some Mac types!) are irrationally afraid.

Retaining legacy Macbook Pros is a canny move. Apple can offer consumers the newest, sleekest, daring machine or a slightly less new, still sleek, and comfortable machine.

Plus - hello! - SSDs are expensive and likely constrained.

kryca

macrumors member
Jul 6, 2010
it surely describes the entry level model (hard drive, i5). But the retina display could still be a BTO option...

Fishcake21

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
My god. That's an embarrassing refresh. Still using HDD's?? Still the same res?? Are they trying to kill the Pro? If they actually try and tart this up in a presentation as the future of the Pro I will laugh out loud.

Whats worse, its 5400rpm!

the read

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2009
I'll probably be upgrading out of necessity (getting the rainbow ball too often on my 2007 MBA these days...) but I was really hoping for something more.

Just get a SSD in your computer. It would be faster than this poor upgrade that Apple are pushing. If this does have some truth behind it.

Blobs21

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2011
Totally agree

Don't worry. This is likely an entry level / "legacy" machine for users who feel they can't yet jettison the super drive. (Thus the only slight refresh, focusing instead on the redesigned models.) Dumping physical media is something that non-Mac types (and even some Mac types!) are irrationally afraid.

Retaining legacy Macbook Pros is a canny move by Apple. They can offer consumers the newest, sleekest, daring machine or a slightly less new, still sleek, and comfortable machine.

Plus - hello! - SSDs are expensive and likely constrained.

Yeah this is exactly what I said above. This may the only computer that does not offer an ssd as far as laptops are concerned. You have to keep something like this for the consumer even if you sacrifice glorious features.

Mistrblank

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2010
I'm not sure why anyone would be surprised. The hi resolution displays are not going to be "free". They are going to be upgrade options and this is likely a default build.

Fishcake21

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2011
Pretty disappointing, aside from the screen which is weakest resolution to put on a 13 inch.... the ivy bridge is based on low voltage dual cores which isn't really much. Was hoping for a quad since these cpus no longer have issues deciding what is better for application/thread wise.
Usb 3.0, bah, well at least with my 2011 macbook pro i can look forward to a production of a thunderbolt to a usb 3.0 adapter now...

And HD 4000 at least is ok...

Here's a crossed fingers hoping that the battery life is at least one hour more :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.