Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
Weird, I just bought a Seagate Thunderbolt dock from the Apple store for $430, and it came with a 3TB HDD, enclosure, and TB cable...:confused:

The goflex seems the best TB option at the moment as you can easily swap the HDD for any other SATA drive. There seem to be plenty of goflex enclosures without drives on eBay (in the UK at least) I've bought a few and fitted my own drives to them.

djpuma

macrumors regular
Jul 13, 2010
I'm still waiting for a company to have a thunderbolt portable hard drive. None of those expensive raid arrays, just a simple 1 terabyte drive I can use for time machine.

THank you God. Someone is smart. I don't need some crazy raid crap, just give me an alternative to my firewire800 externals. I'm never going to spend $400 for an external let alone even more just to have thunderbolt.

This dock is extremely overpriced and don't see it selling many units at all.
Do we have to wait 4 years for the price to come down?

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
sure you did. expensive for 3TB. now you go out and buy the $399.99 device just so you can dock it, oh and a TB compatible monitor - look at the price then! given that the internal hard drives are the bottleneck, i'll stick with eSATA or similar, tyvm :)

Sure, but all my Macs have TB, so what do I need a $400 dock for to dock it with? Not to mention I moved my other 3TB 7200RPM drives to Seagate enclosures so I can easily hot swap all my drives and they are now ALL Thunderbolt compatible...so I don't see the problem.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
If this included some kind of mobile graphics accelerator then I would consider it. But at $399 for just a dock...no thanks.

I'm still hoping for a TB display with a built in graphics card so that my MBA can increase its graphics potential while keeping the same form factor and not increasing heat.

But seriously, this is nearly half the price of the MBA you would be using it with. And it doesn't even include the cable...

MovieCutter

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2005
Washington, DC
The goflex seems the best TB option at the moment as you can easily swap the HDD for any other SATA drive. There seem to be plenty of goflex enclosures without drives on eBay (in the UK at least) I've bought a few and fitted my own drives to them.

I bought 5 4TB Seagate GoFlex external drives for less than it would have cost me for the bare drives themselves, 4 came with USB 3 docks, 1 came with FW800 dock. I pulled all the drives to put them into my Drobo, and stuck 3TB high speed drives in the remaining enclosures. So in essence, I now have 5 Thunderbolt hard drives.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
The best thing Apple could do is offer TB cables, hubs, and docks at what Jobs would term as "breakthrough" prices. I remember when Apple introduced the PM with DVD-R drive. The kicker was that Apple also started selling DVD-R blanks for $5 each in packs of 5. At the time it was a killer price as everyone else was selling blanks for 3x that price. It's what helped spark DVD-Rs growth (this was a year or so before DVD-R set tops became affordable).

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I bought 5 4TB Seagate GoFlex external drives for less than it would have cost me for the bare drives themselves, 4 came with USB 3 docks, 1 came with FW800 dock. I pulled all the drives to put them into my Drobo, and stuck 3TB high speed drives in the remaining enclosures. So in essence, I now have 5 Thunderbolt hard drives.

I had one Goflex already and I bought 3 empty cases with USB2 docks. I put in SATA drives I already had, including dismantling a WD USB drive. Swapping drives for offsite backup is now very easy.

C

champ01

I'm still waiting for a company to have a thunderbolt portable hard drive. None of those expensive raid arrays, just a simple 1 terabyte drive I can use for time machine.

Voila
It's not 1TB but does have thunderbolt. :)

elgato-thunderbolt-ssd.png

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none

I am waiting for the Caldigit options to become available. I don't even care how much they will cost since faster storage = make money back faster.

http://www.caldigit.com/Thunderbolt/T1T2.html

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Why is anything related to Thunderbolt so insanely expensive? Are companies having to fork over 25% of their revenue on Thunderbolt devices to Apple or something? That hub looks to be leaps and bounds better than the similar Matrox hub (assuming it works as advertised.)

But I can't remember the last time I paid more than $50 for a USB 2.0 or ethernet hub. This thing has eSATA (cool), an RJ45 jack, USB 3.0, and Thunderbolt connectivity. I'd pay $125-$150 for it because of the extra ports, but $400 is asinine. Someone at Apple has to be looking at the cost of these Thunderbolt devices and shaking their head. This device, in particular, is lucrative in the consumer market; but the price screams "professional use only."

Ten bucks says this hub will be Alex Lindsay's pick of the week on MacBreak Weekly within the next six months -- and he'll probably buy 5 of them. That same ten bucks says that the majority of listeners to the podcast will shake their heads in disbelief.

DocNYz

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2008
East Coast, USA
If this included some kind of mobile graphics accelerator then I would consider it. But at $399 for just a dock...no thanks.

I'm still hoping for a TB display with a built in graphics card so that my MBA can increase its graphics potential while keeping the same form factor and not increasing heat.

But seriously, this is nearly half the price of the MBA you would be using it with. And it doesn't even include the cable...

Seriously, good call on the need for increasing graphics potential externally through TB built into one of these docks/displays. I doubt apple would ever do that but a third party could absolutely make a doc with some heavy duty GPU in it as well.

Wrathwitch

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2009
It is overpriced, but I'm surprised you don't understand the concept of a dock. This would be great for laptop owners who like to use their laptops as desktops at home. Only one cable to connect your monitor, ethernet and all your USB 2/3 and firewire devices to your computer.

It's just a shame that this universal dock costs as much or more than the proprietary docks of the past.

I Guess I am spoiled.... I have an iMac for my desktop, when I need a laptop I will purchase a laptop for my mobile needs. I even have a beast of a Windows machine just for gaming....

If you are using it as a desktop AND a laptop I can see the merit I guess. I still believe that Apple likes to cull needed ports a bit sooner than their customer base requires.

surma884

macrumors regular
Feb 21, 2011
This should not cost more than $100. TB is the new FireWire thanks to these idiots.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
Another dead in the water tech. Thunderbolt is an epic failure. If the next iMac doesn't come with USB 3.0, I'm keeping my mid-2010 iMac until it does.

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2009
iDeaded myself
I think there's a lot to admire about this product. Pleasing aesthetics, seemingly limitless connectivity possibilities and blazing fast speeds. This is not for home users obviously. But for prosumers looking for a certain kind of style and sophistication, this truly is a great product at a very affordable price.

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I think there's a lot to admire about this product. Pleasing aesthetics, seemingly limitless connectivity possibilities and blazing fast speeds. This is not for home users obviously. But for prosumers looking for a certain kind of style and sophistication, this truly is a great product at a very affordable price.

Thunderbolt is a bag of hurt.

It's been over year and I STILL can't get a decent hard drive for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.