Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mike Oxard

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2009
I am waiting for the Caldigit options to become available. I don't even care how much they will cost since faster storage = make money back faster.

http://www.caldigit.com/Thunderbolt/T1T2.html

For single drives there's no reason why you can't put a fast SSD into a goflex TB dock, that's probably the cheapest option as you could use their portable dock which is $100, then just supply your own SSD.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
So this doesn't have a HDMI port anymore? I was really hoping I could use the HDMI port, and connect a display via the TB/mDP out...

Probably because of the One Small Problem that I mentioned in the Matrox dock thread: as is made clear on pretty much every FAQ on Thunderbolt, the legacy display device has to be the last device in the chain.

So you can either have a Thunderbolt through port (Belkin), OR a monitor port (Matrox) - but not both. To daisy-chain monitors you need native Thunderbolt monitors.

Even the Apple Thunderbolt displays, which you can daisy-chain, don't let you hook a Mini-DisplayPort device to their output.

Given that, its more useful to stick with a Mini-DisplayPort-to-whatever dongle - they're available in DVI, HDMI and even VGA flavours and you can easily add them to the end of the chain.

Why would I want a TB cable sticking out the front of this thing on my desk.

To make it easy to unplug the eye-wateringly expensive TB cable and take it with you - at $50 a pop were you really going to buy a second one for home? :)

mrr

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2008
Let' see, Belkin adds eSATA and USB 3.0 and then they charge an ADDITIONAL hundred dollars more for a product that is *ALREADY OVERPRICED*.

I can go to Frys and buy a eSATA and USB 3.0 external case for $29.

I can buy and internal PCI controller with eSATA and USB 3.0 ports for $29.

Where does this $100 go? Their pockets?

This sucks.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
I think there's a lot to admire about this product. Pleasing aesthetics, seemingly limitless connectivity possibilities and blazing fast speeds. This is not for home users obviously. But for prosumers looking for a certain kind of style and sophistication, this truly is a great product at a very affordable price.

"A certain kind of style and sophistication" from a Belkin Thunderbolt dock?! Can I have some of what you're smoking? It must be really good stuff!

----------

Apple should release a similar product to this for $100-$150 and price the cable at $30. That will force these other manufacturers to get competitive on price and might just keep this Thunderbolt technology around for the general public to use.

powerslave65

macrumors 6502
Mar 21, 2011
Sherman Oaks CA
This device looks to be 30 dollars worth of parts max. I think the Thunderbolt licensing fees from Intel and Apple must be stupid high. The price should be $99.00. I would rather have an iPad than that thing. Also September? Someone in China could clone it by Wednesday off that picture alone.:eek:

PinkyMacGodess

Suspended
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
Thunderbolt - when is the last time that a technology promised so much and delivered so little?

Firewire?

When that came out, people harped on it being like USB and the only device that supported it was the iPod that people came into contact with. It helped Adaptec sell a bunch of add-on cards for PeeCee users to get the port for their iPod, but aside from some niche products, and Sony's private named Firewire, for the average user, Firewire was not the 'end all be all' that it was touted as being. Now so many systems come with it but most people don't know what it was for, and don't care, and it's starting to disappear now too. If it was to be the 'USB killer', it failed... I still have a new Adaptec Firewire card here that I never used. It holds down papers on a shelf...

And I'm talking the 'average user'.

Makos62

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2010
Not bad for the connectors, but a little pricey. Too bad the LandingZone didn't pan out yet. That would have been very nice.

Since you asked to actually have it explained, I'll give you one example.

For those of us who deal with hundreds (if not thousands) of GBs of data a day across multiple devices, in editing film for one example, we really need multiple monitors, tons of fast drives connected, and often multiple computers (to either split tasks or connect to render faster). So to simply answer your question, we'd need a drive (or RAID array) to download original footage onto, then a copy of it for backup on another drive, then a larger screen to actually do the editing on (especially if a laptop is the comp we're using for all of this), another monitor connected with correct color to visualize the final product as it will be seen by a consumer, speakers to listen to audio, peripherals to control the editing process (scrub through video, draw masks for effects, etc.) and then countless other drives for previous projects or backups of more versions or for transferring current projects on to and then sending to someone else to continue working on or add work to what you've done so far. Before TB, many drives were made with USB 3 (which is much faster than 2 and FW800) which wouldn't work on a mac without some kind of peripheral like this (or an expresscard adapter, for example), so those of us that have them benefit a lot by connecting them all to one dock and then having a single connection to the computer, for everything. Also, for people with slower wireless (or MBAs with no wired connection built in) having ethernet also routed through TB is really helpful to get a solid, continuous wired connection to the internet/network(s). I hope that somewhat answers your question.

Yup. Thanks!

ScoobyMcDoo

macrumors 65816
Nov 26, 2007
Austin, TX
So, it seems to me that this is really nothing more than a docking station (or port replicator). After doing a quick search, most competing products (of course not using Thunderbolt) range from $150 to $250. Personally I don't see the added value of thunderbolt to cost that much more.

mcarling

macrumors 65816
Oct 22, 2009
That's an absurd price. Wait for Apple to introduce a retina display for the desktop and then pick up a used 27" Thunderbolt Display for about $400.

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth
This device looks to be 30 dollars worth of parts max. I think the Thunderbolt licensing fees from Intel and Apple must be stupid high. The price should be $99.00. I would rather have an iPad than that thing. Also September? Someone in China could clone it by Wednesday off that picture alone.:eek:

TB licensing is expensive and the chipsets are expensive but coming down. I don't think the pricing is as cheap as people are assuming. Just because USB or Ethernet is available on cheap PCI cards doesn't mean that that same economy of scale works for a device like this.

The people that need this device badly enough will purchase it. It's not the first time new technology has come out at a price premium.

antman2x2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2011
New YAWK
I, as a consumer cannot express how disgusted I am with thunderbolt.

Actually let me correct myself, Im not disgusted with thunderbolt, I'm disgusted by these companies who want to rape and pillage my wallet.

THESE PRICES WILL KILL THUNDERBOLT.

Richdmoore

macrumors 68000
Jul 24, 2007
Troutdale, OR
Just a simple Thunderbolt device with 2 thunderbolt ports, some USB 3 ports & as a bonus eSATA ports is all I really need. The iMac already has the rest of the ports & connections.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
If the release is set for september, Belkin can easily add one more USB port and bump the price by another $100. I am sure this will find a lot of satisfied buyers. /sarcasm

It's a cool idea, but there is no way I would pay $400 for a hub. Seems like Thunderbolt is going to become just another unused port on my Mac.

usptact

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011
Price it at $400, then after a couple months start a 50% off sale and people will jump all over it thinking they're getting a deal at $200

Well said! This is how I think every time I see something like "40% off" and similar :D

usptact

macrumors regular
Apr 2, 2011

Actually let me correct myself, Im not disgusted with thunderbolt, I'm disgusted by these companies who want to rape and pillage my wallet.

Exactly! Just cannot agree more with what you said.

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
Yeah It's still far too expensive, not sure who would invest that much on a Thunderbold Dock or even External Hard Drive..

While Thunderbold is super fast, still waiting on it to get mainstream, in the meantime I'd love to see Apple adopt USB 3.0 on all their machines..

nuckinfutz

macrumors 603
Jul 3, 2002
Middle Earth

No they won't. Some of you are making the assumption that these devices are aimed at you. If you need the speed and flexibility of this Dock the money will be inconsequential.

I don't know why everyone is so upset. Expecting 10Gbps connection for next to nothing in price is silly.

Most consumers will be happy with USB 3.0. Those with more demanding needs know that fulfilling those needs requires more demanding $$$$

angemon89

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2008
Northern CA
The 27" thunderbolt display is looking more and more attractive. As long as they add USB 3.0 to the display, it's early happy birthday to me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.