Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sfxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
San Jose, CA
So I have been thinking about getting an iPad but I simply can't justify my reasons for spending the $500+. My friend got an iPad last Christmas and it seems like all he does with it is play games, iMessage, and sometimes watch Netflix.

In class, I would prefer having a MBP (or other laptop) to be able to take notes more efficiently.. granted an iPad is a great way to check e-mail and look at powerpoint slides.

Basically, what are some reasons you guys love your iPads??

JMG

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2006
It's a iphone on steroids with a big screen. I also use it for work to read scripts and PDFs that are sent to me via email.

Casually, I use it for netflix, the kindle app, and internet browsing.

MykullMyerz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 6, 2006
Washington, D.C.
I can't really explain why I love my iPad. Its a device you have to use to really understand its, well usefulness. So pick one up, and if you don't like it you can always return it.

Techwriter

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2010
In class, I would prefer having a MBP (or other laptop) to be able to take notes more efficiently.. granted an iPad is a great way to check e-mail and look at powerpoint slides.

Perhaps I misunderstood you but if you are considering using an iPad for college purposes, you might prefer having a laptop. I own a Macbook Air and an iPad. I love them both, but if I had to choose one for college, I would pick the Air. It's very portable.

That's only a personal opinion.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
-Bigger screen is very nice
-serves as my travel computer so no need to lug the MBP around
-Hulu
-Lots of games made better by bigger screen
-can actually view emails now instead of reading off tiny ass iPhone screen
-Movies
-nice photo editing device while "out in the field"
-All of the above made even better now that my iPad is JB'd.

santaliqueur

macrumors 65816
Aug 7, 2007
It's a thin, powerful internet/email/movie/music device with exceptional battery life and doesn't need to be booted up. The quality apps extend its usefulness to an amazing degree. It does 90% of what most power users need in a real computer, and it does 100% of what my parents need. It is about the same price as a shabby bargain basement laptop, but will never get malware, viruses, or anything else that plagues Windows machines. It backs itself up to iCloud, so if anything ever happens to the iPad, you can get your replacement and not lose any data.

I love my iPad because it does most of what a laptop does, but it does it much better.

sfxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
San Jose, CA
Perhaps I misunderstood you but if you are considering using an iPad for college purposes, you might prefer having a laptop. I own a Macbook Air and an iPad. I love them both, but if I had to choose one for college, I would pick the Air. It's very portable.

Oh I was simply stating a situation where I've heard people say iPad's are useful in which I would prefer a laptop.. I agree with you haha

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK
It's funny because there are genuinely people out there who don't see it as anything more than "a big iPod touch". Since I got my iPad little under three weeks ago, I have been on it non stop. The only thing I use my iMac for is occasional syncing of apps, and even my iPhone has been reduced to an outdoors only device.

For me, the iPad represents sheer convenience. It's much more comfortable to kick back on the sofa, iPad in hand, and browse the web, play a game, listen to some music, or catch up on a TV show you missed via Sky Go or iPlayer.

I'd rather use an iPad than sit in a chair, in front of a desktop computer with a mouse and keyboard, or with a full laptop computer.

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
It's funny because there are genuinely people out there who don't see it as anything more than "a big iPod touch". Since I got my iPad little under three weeks ago, I have been on it non stop. The only thing I use my iMac for is occasional syncing of apps, and even my iPhone has been reduced to an outdoors only device.

For me, the iPad represents sheer convenience. It's much more comfortable to kick back on the sofa, iPad in hand, and browse the web, play a game, listen to some music, or catch up on a TV show you missed via Sky Go or iPlayer.

I'd rather use an iPad than sit in a chair, in front of a desktop computer with a mouse and keyboard, or with a full laptop computer.

AMEN to that!!

sfxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
San Jose, CA
I understand all your points and I recognize how the iPad can be very convenient compared to a laptop when performing certain tasks. I guess I just haven't ran into a situation where I've thought "Oh man I wish I had an iPad right now.."

I've played with my friend's iPad before and didn't find it too attractive, perhaps I need to have it on a more personal or long-term basis.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
i love mine,

i use numbers religiously for work.

gaming, i never thought id play games on mine as much as i do.
web browsing is so much better than sitting at a desk on a desktop, or having a laptop on your lap.
reading books on the new ipad are nice (ive never used an ipad 2 so i dont know on that)
pages is awesome with a keyboard for taking notes/typing on the go. The battery life on it 10+ usage makes my laptop obsolete, unless i need to do powerful tasks, i.e. logic pro, photoshop, premiere etc, xcode etc.
garageband is so nice to have for recording on the go, i have the camera connection kit and a USB condenser mic <3
notability is pretty sweet for note taking. especially with a stylus.
FACETIME! i wish it was better quality camera though. (facebreak so i can facetime over 4g)
Using my ATT LTE for a hotspot is nice too.

i honestly didnt think i would use my ipad as much as i would, i never wanted one due to thinking it would be like my iphone but bigger screen (which i guess it is to some extent) but luckily my work bought me one and now im hooked.

----------

I understand all your points and I recognize how the iPad can be very convenient compared to a laptop when performing certain tasks. I guess I just haven't ran into a situation where I've thought "Oh man I wish I had an iPad right now.."

I've played with my friend's iPad before and didn't find it too attractive, perhaps I need to have it on a more personal or long-term basis.

youre absolutely correct on that, you dont need an ipad if you already have a laptop IMO

i just prefer to do a lot of tasks that i used to do on my laptop on my ipad due to the simplicity, portability, battery life, and beauty of it.

if you are considering getting one, maybe buy a refurbished ipad2? take advantage of the return policy if you dont like it

tl01

macrumors 68020
Jun 20, 2010
I love my iPad for many reasons! I have two kids so I hardly ever get to sit down at the tv. Instead, I catch up on shows on my iPad when I have time. I actually prefer watching the iPad in bed than using my bedroom tv. I love surfing the web on it, checking e mail, watching Netflix, reading books etc. Sure most of that stuff can be done on another device but the iPad does it all so seamlessly. I have a MacBook and and iMac and use my iPad way more simply. Also, I love having LTE when I am out of range of wifi... Plus I have a Verizon ipad3 with the hotspot and use the hotspot for my kids iPads. Love it!!

sfxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
San Jose, CA
youre absolutely correct on that, you dont need an ipad if you already have a laptop IMO

i just prefer to do a lot of tasks that i used to do on my laptop on my ipad due to the simplicity, portability, battery life, and beauty of it.

if you are considering getting one, maybe buy a refurbished ipad2? take advantage of the return policy if you dont like it

I just found out that my work just received 4 iPad's for us to test with.. sadly I will not be receiving one because I already own an iOS device, my iPhone :(

At least I will be able to play around with one though.

WeegieMac

Jan 29, 2008
Glasgow, UK

See, to me you're actually over thinking things too much. You don't need to think of "situations", you just need to look at your use of a computer and simplify it.

Are you a power user? Then of course you'll benefit more from a machine like an iMac or Macbook. If you're more of a user who consumes a lot of media content and uses a computer merely to browse the web, sync with iTunes, play games, and listen to music, then an iPad is a perfect replacement.

If you need to use design applications or photo editing applications, then of course an iPad isn't going to fill that gap. But if you enjoy content consumption and want to sit back and relax without the hassle of desks, keyboards, and mice and just want a simple experience with the internet and your content, then the iPad is superb.

Since getting my iPad, my iMac has become exactly what Steve said it would ... a hub.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
I just found out that my work just received 4 iPad's for us to test with.. sadly I will not be receiving one because I already own an iOS device, my iPhone :(

At least I will be able to play around with one though.

thats cool at least. what do you do?

----------

See, .......

Since getting my iPad, my iMac has become exactly what Steve said it would ... a hub.

couldn't have said it better

robabroad

macrumors newbie
Mar 12, 2008
Why I love my iPad

I usually hold off buying products until they are a few cycles in. I stayed true to that formula with the iPad and purchased the current generation.

1. Retina display
  2. Reading and annotating PDF documents for work while sitting with my feet up
  3. The New Yorker. I used to read it on my Kindle, but I missed the pictures and photography. iPad version is pretty awesome
  4. Words with Friends is a lot easier on the iPad (for my old eyes)
  5. HBO Go. If you're lucky to have it, it's a great way to catch up. I'm watching old episodes of "Bored to Death" to catch up.
  6. iPad optimized apps. Lots more screen real estate makes for a better experience, IMHO.

There are lots of others, but those are my top one right now.

Enjoy.

sfxx

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 5, 2012
San Jose, CA
See, to me you're actually over thinking things too much. You don't need to think of "situations", you just need to look at your use of a computer and simplify it.

Are you a power user? Then of course you'll benefit more from a machine like an iMac or Macbook. If you're more of a user who consumes a lot of media content and uses a computer merely to browse the web, sync with iTunes, play games, and listen to music, then an iPad is a perfect replacement.

If you need to use design applications or photo editing applications, then of course an iPad isn't going to fill that gap. But if you enjoy content consumption and want to sit back and relax without the hassle of desks, keyboards, and mice and just want a simple experience with the internet and your content, then the iPad is superb.

Generally when I am on my laptop I am just browsing the web (Facebook, Twitter, reddit, other blogs/websites) or playing computer games, which I have not had the time to do recently. With that being said, an iPad actually sounds like a good replacement or at least a better method of doing those tasks while lounging.

Ultimately, what I am thinking is that a laptop is a necessity because I am a student and a programmer, and thus an iPad would just be a product used for added convenience, since I can do everything I need with my laptop.

-----------

thats cool at least. what do you do?

I'm an engineer at a tech company haha

burne

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2007
Haarlem, the Netherlands
Basically, what are some reasons you guys love your iPads??

I'm inside a train for 80 minutes a day. Dutch commuter trains are comfortable, but a bit cramped. An iPad really works for me in this environment. Nearly an hour and a half of reading documents, answering email, listening music, browsing. Packs away in four seconds flat.

Compared to people struggling to cram their laptop in a backpack..

chokem

macrumors 6502
May 7, 2012
Searcy, AR
The iPad is sooo much easier to use than my laptop. I guess the number one reason is convenience, followed by the screen and the abundance of apps/games.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
I love my iPad because it's a lot more portable than my laptop. I don't need to set it down on anything to use it comfortably. And it just feels more "natural" for reading comics and magazines. Plus I can use the touchscreen to sketch out ideas.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada

Agreed. I had both (MacBook and ipad), for college. Ended up selling the MacBook and getting a iMac. Although it works pretty well, there are some cases where I wish I could have brought a MacBook to class with me instead of the iPad.

Badrottie

Suspended
May 8, 2011
Los Angeles
Before iPad I had to lug my 15 inches MBP everywhere I go - public library, starbucks, and Internet Cafe…feeling exhausted. iPad is easy to carry around even you can use it on the train, city bus, and airplane.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.