Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

car447

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
hey guys i really do hope you can help me cause this is driving me crazy:

I have a 27" iMac mid 2010 model running OSX Lion 10.7.4 with four user accounts two been admins

the problem is only on my account (admin).

finder is repeatedly crashing then relaunching every 1 second there used to be a popup but that has stopped. the light under it on the dock stays on (used to flash not any more) and the bar along the top is flashing and finder won't open.

I know there have been other Things like this on this website but none really have any answers that have been helpful.

any help would be much much appreciated :apple:

satcomer

Suspended
Feb 19, 2008
The Finger Lakes Region
Then do this in Lion.

1. Quit All applications.
2. Click on the Desktop.
3. Hold down the 'option' key while clicking on the 'Go' Finder item (and keep holding down the 'option' key).
4. Select in the drop-down "Library '.
5. The ~/Library/ will open (now let go the 'option' key). Find the folder 'Preferences'.
6. In 'Preferences' find the file com.apple.finder.plist and delete it.
7. Log out.
8. Log back in and Finder now should should act normal.

Don't forget to reset you Finder's Preferences after. Good Luck.

car447

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 4, 2012
Thanks for replying

Hello thanks for replying the thing is though that the bar at the top with go in it keeps flashing as well and i can't press any thing in it :(

do u have any other solutions?

Rushumba

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
See if this works

I guess I've benefitted from these forums without contributing long enough.

Here's what happened to me (Mountain Lion):

1. Aperture was having trouble so I decided to uninstall and reinstall the app.
2. CleanMyMac warned me that Aperture was a system app and could cause issues if I removed it.
3. Wisely disregarding this warning, I proceeded to delete the app and finder immediately started the infamous crash and relaunch loop every second or so.

Here's what I did:

1. Luckily, I had an old installation of Lion on my caddy hard drive (in optical bay) that I never got around to deleting.

***If you don't have a second OS installed on your computer, just reset, go into disk repair, create a small partition on the main drive, install the OS to that small partition, log in to that new OS install and view all of your files on your original OS install. Then back up all of your files and reinstall completely***

2. I reset and logged into my second partition and could view all of my files on my SSD that my main installation resided on before I messed it up.
3. For Gits and Shiggles, I am going to install aperture into my second OS install on the caddy drive and copy the aperture icon and the Plist file back over to the appropriate folders on the SSD OS installation.
4. I will log back in to the SSD OS install and hope finder is back to normal.

I will try and remember to give an update as how it goes. Hope this helps.

-Mike

Rushumba

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
What the... It worked!

Ok, so my crazy little idea paid off big time.

1. When I originally deleted aperture, cleanmymac (which is a 3rd party app I have) deleted a "core blah blah blah" file along with it.
2. So on my secondary OS install, I installed aperture and cleanmymac, to emulate what I had done wrong on the main OS install.
3. I clicked and drug the aperture icon into cleanmymac's "uninstall" tab, just like I did originally on my main OS install (which is what caused the problem in the first place).
4. This gave me the full list of everything I deleted the first time.
5. I learned from my mistake and DID NOT press delete this time.
6. Instead, I went down the list in cleanmymac and found everything in finder on the secondary OS install (which was mostly in "library" and "systems")
7. I copied the files over from the secondary install to the identical corresponding folders on the main OS install. I had to use a terminal command to show hidden folders to do this.

There are a ton of different "library" folders, so make sure you're in the right one. If you don't see the identical corresponding folder name you are looking for, you're probably in the wrong "library" folder.

8. I restarted and logged into the main OS install (which wouldn't even show up before I did this).
9. It works and is acting exactly as it did before I deleted aperture. Aperture is even installed on the main OS install as well (because I had drug the icon over into the main install's applications folder from the secondary install, if that's not confusing enough.)

Good Luck

-Mike

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.