Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcrowe

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 11, 2005
East Jesus, Italy
Hi Folks,
Can anybody tell me how well the 2Ghz with a decent wad o' RAM performs using the iLife suite to make fairly simple DVDs? I ask because my existing 800Mhz G4 iMac was pretty slow to do burns and I am considering upgrading specifically for doing video. Thanks in advance.
Respectfully,
jcrowe

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I do a lot of editing on my 1.8.

iMovie could always be faster on renders, but I'm not crying about it. Otherwise it performs well editing video.
iDVD is snappy in most cases, every-now and then I get the beach ball. iDVD is just plain ole slow rendering on any machine IMO. I can't really say how long it takes, but I usually start the render before I go to bed and by the time I wake up the disc is ejected an ready to go.

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
Daveway said:
I do a lot of editing on my 1.8.

iMovie could always be faster on renders, but I'm not crying about it. Otherwise it performs well editing video.
iDVD is snappy in most cases, every-now and then I get the beach ball. iDVD is just plain ole slow rendering on any machine IMO. I can't really say how long it takes, but I usually start the render before I go to bed and by the time I wake up the disc is ejected an ready to go.

on my powerbook an iDVD render for a 12 min movie usually can be finished in less than an hour. I am using a 1.33ghz proc and 512mb ram... but i'm fixin to upgrade to the iMac 2.0 20" as well w/ a whopping 2gb ram... maybe it'll be a whole lot faster...

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
h0e0h said:
on my powerbook an iDVD render for a 12 min movie usually can be finished in less than an hour. I am using a 1.33ghz proc and 512mb ram... but i'm fixin to upgrade to the iMac 2.0 20" as well w/ a whopping 2gb ram... maybe it'll be a whole lot faster...

Maybe it's the Louisiana heat. ;)

h0e0h

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2004
West Monroe, Louisiana
Daveway said:
Maybe it's the Louisiana heat. ;)

heh... it could be the woman governor... (if that offends anyone not from Louisiana sorry... you would have to be here) and Dave, if that offends you, then you'd have to live in Monroe, or be a Saints fan, or smoke cigarettes (which i don't), or be the child of a teacher...

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
Well of course if you can afford a PowerMac Dual that would be the way to go using Final Cut Pro or something, but this is mainly for people who need to create say commercials, presentations, professional movies, etc... but I hear it works wonders.

As for iMovie05 I find it runs fine on my 1.6 with 1GB of RAM. The only thing that takes long is the encoding. Expect at least 2hrs of encoding for say 1/2hr footage with crazy menus and music/transitions, etc... For a 1hr film it took me 4hrs to encode.

I think for what you are doing the iMac you are looking at will do well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.