Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Poll: Which mail app do you prefer?

• native mail app

Votes: 72 54.5%
  • sparrow

Votes: 42 31.8%
  • postbox

Votes: 18 13.6%

• Total voters

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Which of these mail apps do you prefer, and why?

Last edited by a moderator:

Benson11

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2012
I would prefer Sparrow because it has simple and very rich features, making it revolutionary approach to meet the needs of practically anyone. Additionally it is fast, attractive, and easy to use and add new features on a monthly basis.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks.

Yes, I am checking out all three at the moment. Just wondering what other people's views/ preferences were.

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
Sparrow - I tried to like it but it kept harassing me about connecting to FB and also it was saying 'Sent by sparrow in my paid for version :S'
Apple Mail - Never had an issue with it, bonus points for being made by apple (obviously going to run nicely with the rest of the OS)
Postbox - Never tried.

Apple Mail gets my vote even though I bought Sparrow.

jediistar

macrumors 6502
Sep 17, 2007
I have been using sparrow for a while, but I got my beta invite to Fluent.io tonight and it's pretty interesting for a browser based client. I've wanted a way to cut down on memory issues with my air and I was hoping to cut any desktop email client out of the equation. I'm interesting in giving this a try, so far it seems fairly nice and cuts out a lot of the crap found on the standard gmail.com site. We'll have to see what happens when they come out of beta and if they start charging and at what costs for what features.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
Thanks for the input!

I've been trying Sparrow (the free version) for about a week now. I opted out of postbox (although I've actually forgotten why right now :eek:). So far Sparrow is OK. I'm not loving it but I'm not disliking it either. I think I probably prefer the default mail program, but unfortunately I can't figure out how to solve my ongoing issue with the mail app (it no longer wants to send messages after having worked perfectly since I bought it, I've tried reinstalling and checked all settings etc). I'm travelling now but will try to call Apple when I get home (and get some milage out of that AppleCare fee).

KingJosh

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2012
Australia
I tried Sparrow but observed it used much more RAM than mail.app

Mail.app has no flaws
Sparrow costs $10 and I don't really like the UI even though everyone else loves it. FB integeration = bloatation :p

Also Apple continues to update their software so one day mail might become super awesome and it will still be free and everyone will be wishing they had not paid for Sparrow lol.

cortizsc

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2009
Mail.app & Gmail?

Hi guys,

I'm not sure how you use Apple's Mail app, but I tried it with Gmail and it doesn't work well.

First, labels are treated as folders in Mail, so you cannot add multiple labels to a single email. That's just one thing, not to mention the strange folders Mail.app automatically creates as labels in your Gmail like "[Gmail] Archive" or stuff like that. I really hate not to be able to "archive" and "delete" properly on Mail.

Sparrow, on the other hand, is awesome with Gmail. I've been using Sparrow since the first betas, and it has improved dramaticaly. Also, the iOS app is amazing.

Postbox, I never tried, but it has integration with Evernote, which for me is important so I might give it a try.

Mrpwagner

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
Mail app sucks

I am writing here because I am trying to find an app that works. Lately the mail app has just not been sending and receiving efficiently. I am required to go to the actual web site ( work, yahoo, gmail as the case may be) to actually send mail

I am looking for a solution.

jojoba

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Dec 9, 2011
I am writing here because I am trying to find an app that works. Lately the mail app has just not been sending and receiving efficiently. I am required to go to the actual web site ( work, yahoo, gmail as the case may be) to actually send mail

I am looking for a solution.

I had the same problem. I finally solved it by deleting the account and restarting a few times. You could try that. In the mean time, I was using Sparrow which is not a bad alternative. I think Thunderbird is even better but I use that for my work email and I kind of like having separate apps for work and play.

moniker

macrumors member
Jun 15, 2007
London, UK
Mail.app has no flaws

Oh yes it has. Try sending a rich text email, for example to yourself. Now open it in another email app such as Outlook. The text is unstyled, unless you have explicitly styled it yourself. If you view the email source, you'll find a big chunk of messy HTML and styling in there, but it doesn't wrap the text it's supposed to style!

You won't notice it if you open the email in Mail.app since Mail automatically styles any unstyled text using the message defaults in Preferences.

If you however bring up the font panel and style the text manually before sending, it will be styled correctly, but only if you style it different from the default settings. I.e. if you have specified Helvetica 12pt as your message defaults, you need to style it as Helvetica 11pt. If you try styling it as Helvetica 12pt, it won't get styled at all.

This issue has been repeatedly reported to Apple for many many years, not only by me, but so far it's still in there.

For personal email I don't care as I generally sent plaintext email anyway. For business email it just looks unprofessional.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Oh yes it has. Try sending a rich text email, for example to yourself. Now open it in another email app such as Outlook. The text is unstyled, unless you have explicitly styled it yourself. If you view the email source, you'll find a big chunk of messy HTML and styling in there, but it doesn't wrap the text it's supposed to style!

You won't notice it if you open the email in Mail.app since Mail automatically styles any unstyled text using the message defaults in Preferences.

If you however bring up the font panel and style the text manually before sending, it will be styled correctly, but only if you style it different from the default settings. I.e. if you have specified Helvetica 12pt as your message defaults, you need to style it as Helvetica 11pt. If you try styling it as Helvetica 12pt, it won't get styled at all.

This issue has been repeatedly reported to Apple for many many years, not only by me, but so far it's still in there.

For personal email I don't care as I generally sent plaintext email anyway. For business email it just looks unprofessional.

This too is my biggest gripe! The odd thing is that the same thing happens with Outlook 2011 for Mac. Not the same technical issue, but the same outcome. You create a message in HTML, but when you send/receive, the formatting is lost. Strange...

drkrueger

macrumors newbie
Nov 10, 2007
Dup messages when synching with Gmail

Mail, fantastic and no issues.

If you synch with Gmail, how do you handle the duplicate messages? E.g. one msg in the Inbox, dup in All Mail, another dup in the Family folder.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I own Postbox but I keep coming back to OSX's mail.app. It does everything I need and I'm happy with it. PostBox is a great app, I have no complaints but I'm content with mail.app

supes83

macrumors newbie
Mar 2, 2012
Sparrow - assigning label to open email

I read this thread and thought I would give Sparrow a whirl. I use gmail and I have had broadly been happy with the native app but wanted to see what I was missing.

Two things I can't figure out for the life out of me - please help:

1. My working practice is that I get an email, I read it then I file it (or apply a label). For some reason, I can't work out who to do this in Sparrow. The only way I can assign a label is when I am in inbox view - that can't be right. Surely it is possible to move to a folder/label when the email is open?

Any ideas?

2. Is it possible to assign multiple labels in Sparrow? Reviews before purchase s suggested it was possible but I don't think it is.

Thank you!

bibimbap

macrumors newbie
Jul 31, 2005
I just want Mail.app to behave like Mail on the iPhone

I wish there were a way to just show the most recent 50 messages like Mail.app for the iPhone.

I think iPhone mail is the most perfect email client I've ever used (with the exception of Search which is horrible and forces me over to the Gmail app occasionally).

Does anyone know how to set Mail.app to behave exactly like the iPhone Mail?

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
I use Sparrow because I prefer the way it handles gmail, and because it is similar to the ios Mail app which I love.

andersonvs

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2012
Tried Sparrow, back to Mail

Mail stopped sending mail through my work's email servers when I was at home. Couldn't fix it, so I tried Sparrow, which I liked a lot -- except that the "Sent by Sparrow" in the signature can't be removed. So I didn't want to purchase it.

Tried a little more diligently to get Mail to work again. I deleted the work account, and deleted the Preferences plist. Then recreated my work account, and voila: Mail works correctly again.

So I'm sticking with Mail for now. Does everything I want, and I can set it to be almost as minimal as Sparrow.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
standard mail for Apple accounts (and access to some IMAPs)

and Thunderbird for my own domains; I like the easy transition from Thundrbird between systems; I started back on a LINUX with it and could very easy migrate by copy the folder.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.