Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
How in the world is it "far superior"?

160gb. Nuff said.

In many ways.

1) iPods are notorious for producing some of the poorest quality sound of any mp3 player on the market. There have been numerous blind as well as extensive tests that have shown Sony and Cowon to be at the very top in terms of sound quality.

2) Not only does it lack in audio quality, iPods are also missing any kind of equalizer (and no, presets don't count). Cowon and Sony have been offering multi-band EQs for a long time, and I can count back to the 90s with Sonys Minidisc for EQ support which was later implemented to their MP3 players.

3) Format support is limited on iPod (no FLAC, OGG, WMA, etc).

4) Being forced to use iTunes isn't a plus. A choice to use it, would be a plus. The fact that I can take back my music from any computer on any platform without 3rd party hacks makes it far more attractive. Open standards is superior to a closed system like iTunes.

5) a) Apple's got a disgusting history with battery life. I should know, I've had a terrible first hand experience. Their 2nd gen iPod was vaguely described as 'over 8 hours of battery life' which could mean anything from 9 hours to 900 hours or more. The battery ended up lasting me no more than 25 minutes per charge in less than a year. Their current crop of MP3 players have improved, but still fall short of what the competition offers.

b) Top add insult to injury, theres never been a removable battery on any iPod.

c) I've yet to see any iPod achieve 64 hours of playback like the Cowon J3 can do. 64 hours is basically DOUBLE of what the iPod gets and pretty much double what iPod has EVER been able to get. While the iPods 160gb storage is nice, its not a deal breaker, most people don't fill 160gb of space with music. I would be surprised if the majority filled more than 16gb on a portable device.

6) Video format compatibility is by far one of the poorest in the iOS world. Divx? Xvid? MKV? WMV? Don't bother unless you like waiting and converting files.

7) External memory storage. Another huge selling point. I can take a 32gb MicroSD and slap it inside the J3 or any other card and fill them with whatever I like essentially doubling the maximum internal capacity.

8) Extra features like recording sound, themes, UI customization, Line-In, etc make the iPod obsolete.

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

j3%288gb%29_6_141213041269.jpg

JBazz

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2006
And the main selling point of the iPod classic is still the storage space. Your device + 32gb card doesn't even compare.

I have an iPad, I do not need an iPod touch or one of those cowon (?) touch devices. What I needed when I recently purchased the classic was .... Storage.

If it works for you fine, you really weren't in the market for a classic anyways.

onmi

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
I personally love my iPod classic 120gb. I bought it when the 120gb classic came out. I wonder why they don't have a refresh for it. Possibly might see one in WWDC...hopefully. I'd def buy the next gen one seeing as this one is lagging a bit here and there.

I agree with the post above, I purchased a classic over an itouch for storage!:)

I really do hope they have a refresh with more storage, new UI look and possibly a faster RPM hard drive...

Last edited:

Ariii

macrumors 6502a
Jan 26, 2012
Chicago
I really wish there was an update, even though I won't be able to afford one anytime soon. I hope they don't kill off the Classic :(. There's no clickwheel on the Nano anymore, so I think they really need one on at least one of their iPods. I think there's a couple features that would be pretty cool that I haven't really seen in music players. Something I would like to see would be 2 headphone jacks, and connectivity to external CD readers. Also, I think that Apple should allow it to be used as a flash drive with an external cable.

Also, with 16 GB of storage, the Cowon J3 can't replace an iPod classic. Maybe you could argue that it could replace an iTouch, but the App store is a huge advantage.

Last edited:

FlatlinerG

Cancelled
Dec 21, 2011
I just traded my PS3 for an 80GB Classic and $50. I'm definitely loving it. My iPhone hasn't had earbuds plugged into it since.

Old Muley

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2009
Titletown USA
In many ways.
6) Video format compatibility is by far one of the poorest in the iOS world. Divx? Xvid? MKV? WMV? Don't bother unless you like waiting and converting files.

Does anyone actually use their iPod Classic to watch movies? I mean, I know you can do it, but is that really the purpose of the classic?

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
I could double my iTunes library and still have it fit on a 64GB iPhone, barely. I have a 16GB device, but with iTunes Match I still have access to my entire library anyway.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I know there have been hundred of car stereos made to work with the iPod and iPhone over the years, I have Pioneers in each of my cars.

Do stereo manufacturers make stereos that are made for Android? Din't come across one when looking for a iPod ready deck last month.

Anyways, for those saying a closed system is better than open, that is purely a personal opinion and not fact.

I always enjoyed loading my Classic with videos to watch on my Pioneer car stereos screen while traveling and resting overnight.

dona83

macrumors 6502
Nov 26, 2004
Kelowna, BC
If the deck is Bluetooth capable, it can be paired and controlled by the deck/steering wheel controls.

I prefer Bluetooth over USB/aux in connections, as it pairs right away like a bluetooth headset as soon as the car turns on and I don't have to do anything. Just press the talk button and tell my iPhone to play some playlist/album/artist or call someone or some number, all without removing it from my pocket.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
If the deck is Bluetooth capable, it can be paired and controlled by the deck/steering wheel controls.

I prefer Bluetooth over USB/aux in connections, as it pairs right away like a bluetooth headset as soon as the car turns on and I don't have to do anything. Just press the talk button and tell my iPhone to play some playlist/album/artist or call someone or some number, all without removing it from my pocket.

Not that I need one, I have two iPhones and do not own a Android, but yes, I know they can connect using Bluetooth, my decks have bluetooth and I can play music as well as making calls with bluetooth.

I'm just asking if there are made for Android decks like there are made for iPod decks that can control the iPod/iPhone and show the track/album info like my Pioneers can.

I wasn't too impressed with bluetooth audi. It had a slightly flatter tone and I could hear static in between songs.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Er... didn't Apple recently release their lossless audio format (ALAC) under the open-source Apache licence?

A format does not equal iTunes integration. Ideally, people should have the choice of whether or not they want to use iTunes. I for one don't mind the integration so as long as I have the ability to browse, move, delete, rename, etc. the music on the device at will. Apple of course, is very uncomfortable with this.

swordfish5736

macrumors 68000
Jun 29, 2007
Cesspool
Not that I need one, I have two iPhones and do not own a Android, but yes, I know they can connect using Bluetooth, my decks have bluetooth and I can play music as well as making calls with bluetooth.

I'm just asking if there are made for Android decks like there are made for iPod decks that can control the iPod/iPhone and show the track/album info like my Pioneers can.

I wasn't too impressed with bluetooth audi. It had a slightly flatter tone and I could hear static in between songs.

I'm not sure if they have that safe certification system like apple does. However there are double-din units for certain makes that run android OS.

gnasher729

Suspended
Nov 25, 2005
In many ways.

1) iPods are notorious for producing some of the poorest quality sound of any mp3 player on the market. There have been numerous blind as well as extensive tests that have shown Sony and Cowon to be at the very top in terms of sound quality.

2) Not only does it lack in audio quality, iPods are also missing any kind of equalizer (and no, presets don't count). Cowon and Sony have been offering multi-band EQs for a long time, and I can count back to the 90s with Sonys Minidisc for EQ support which was later implemented to their MP3 players.

3) Format support is limited on iPod (no FLAC, OGG, WMA, etc).

4) Being forced to use iTunes isn't a plus. A choice to use it, would be a plus. The fact that I can take back my music from any computer on any platform without 3rd party hacks makes it far more attractive. Open standards is superior to a closed system like iTunes.

5) a) Apple's got a disgusting history with battery life. I should know, I've had a terrible first hand experience. Their 2nd gen iPod was vaguely described as 'over 8 hours of battery life' which could mean anything from 9 hours to 900 hours or more. The battery ended up lasting me no more than 25 minutes per charge in less than a year. Their current crop of MP3 players have improved, but still fall short of what the competition offers.

b) Top add insult to injury, theres never been a removable battery on any iPod.

c) I've yet to see any iPod achieve 64 hours of playback like the Cowon J3 can do. 64 hours is basically DOUBLE of what the iPod gets and pretty much double what iPod has EVER been able to get. While the iPods 160gb storage is nice, its not a deal breaker, most people don't fill 160gb of space with music. I would be surprised if the majority filled more than 16gb on a portable device.

7) External memory storage. Another huge selling point. I can take a 32gb MicroSD and slap it inside the J3 or any other card and fill them with whatever I like essentially doubling the maximum internal capacity.

8) Extra features like recording sound, themes, UI customization, Line-In, etc make the iPod obsolete.

I could go on, but I think I've made my point.

1. Poor sound quality? That's what you claim without any actual evidence.
2. Who wants to fiddle around with an equalizer?
3. Nobody in the real world cares about FLAC, OGG, WMA.
4. iTunes works just fine for everyone in the real world.
5a. What does this have to do with current iPods? 5b. I replaced the battery on my iPad mini with a £3.95 battery from eBay without any problems. 5c. Does the Cowon J3 work with iTunes?
6. Nobody in the real world cares about Divx, Xvid, MKV, WMV.
7. Is there anything more ugly and more impractical than external storage? And why would you want to add 32 GB external storage to a 160 GB device, that as you say most people don't fill anyway?
8. Nobody in the real world wants "themes" and "UI customization". What the hell would you want line-in for?

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
1. Poor sound quality? That's what you claim without any actual evidence.
2. Who wants to fiddle around with an equalizer?
3. Nobody in the real world cares about FLAC, OGG, WMA.
4. iTunes works just fine for everyone in the real world.
5a. What does this have to do with current iPods? 5b. I replaced the battery on my iPad mini with a £3.95 battery from eBay without any problems. 5c. Does the Cowon J3 work with iTunes?
6. Nobody in the real world cares about Divx, Xvid, MKV, WMV.
7. Is there anything more ugly and more impractical than external storage? And why would you want to add 32 GB external storage to a 160 GB device, that as you say most people don't fill anyway?
8. Nobody in the real world wants "themes" and "UI customization". What the hell would you want line-in for?

You don't speak for the real world. You seem to exhibit the apple mentality; if I don't need it, nobody does.

Mind you, youre so incredibly wrong on so many of those points. EQ controls and MKV formats are two big ones that everyone would love to have.... especially since it doesnt change anything, so there is absolutely NO reason why you should negate the additional feature.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.