Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jigsb007

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 11, 2010
Hello all,

is it possible to install .IPA files from a computer to ipad ? how ?

Reason : i have taken backup of my ipa files, and now my laptop HDD stop working...so now i either have to install itune to another computer or may be a new HDD.

But , since i have my IPA's can i install to my ipad ? i think we can copy those using ifile/ifunbox, but i am not sure where , and after coping it, how to install ?

please help

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
If they are legitimate, legal IPA files, I believe you can simply drag and drop it into iTunes with your device connected, though I may be wrong.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Hello all,

is it possible to install .IPA files from a computer to ipad ? how ?

Reason : i have taken backup of my ipa files, and now my laptop HDD stop working...so now i either have to install itune to another computer or may be a new HDD.

But , since i have my IPA's can i install to my ipad ? i think we can copy those using ifile/ifunbox, but i am not sure where , and after coping it, how to install ?

please help

If they are legitimate, legal IPA files, I believe you can simply drag and drop it into iTunes with your device connected, though I may be wrong.

First off, if the OP legitimately purchased these Apps. The OP can simply redownload them for free.

I think what the OP is saying is, he has the .ipa files on a external hard drive, would like to connect the hard drive via USB and use iFile to transfer.

From my limited JB experience, yes you can do this but all you'll end up with is just an .ipa file taking up space. You have to take another step that takes it in to the realm of Cracking Apps. If this is the case for the OP then this thread should end.

Dima470

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2011
West Sacramento, CA
You can SSH into your device and drag and drop anywhere in your iDevices root and run and install it in iFile. Remember to delete the .ipa after it is done because it takes extra space

I am against app pirating.

Last edited by a moderator:

PrayForDeath

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2012
The latest version of iFunBox has a nifty feature that lets you select IPAs on your computer, and then installs them for you on the iPad.

Sounds like its exactly what you're looking for.

Dav1

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011
We don't assist in piracy. Any apps legally bought will be readily availiable to redownload from iTunes.

In fact, you can view all purchased apps from your iOS device

Before we jump the gun and brand everyone a Pirate, a theif, could we be honest, here?

What is available is the current version of an app. For a number of reasons the current version might not be desirable. Some current versions of an app on the iPad only support one orientation, and that seems to be a growing trend, whereas older versions support both orientation. Other users might prefer an older OS build that can become no longer supported.

There are apps that I have bought, that have been removed and are no longer listed.

There are quite a number of reasons where one might be interested in an older app, if for no other reason than to confirm a behavior or belief. At one time iTunes kept older versions of app, now iTunes deletes them, without prompting. :mad:

One does not get real security, by intimidation, by obscuring knowledge, and attacking users.

BFizzzle

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2010
Austin TX
We don't assist in piracy. Any apps legally bought will be readily availiable to redownload from iTunes.

In fact, you can view all purchased apps from your iOS device

wow lol try thinking about all the possibilities here instead of going strait to d0uch3 mode.

maybe he doesnt have internet access currently and cant? |
maybe he wants the old versions?
maybe he purchased a tethering app its no longer available?

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
wow lol try thinking about all the possibilities here instead of going strait to d0uch3 mode.

maybe he doesnt have internet access currently and cant? |
maybe he wants the old versions?
maybe he purchased a tethering app its no longer available?

ha true ok. I just know from experience, questions like this are 99% for not legit reasons

RobesNo1

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2009
See my post above. Latest version of iFunBox will install IPAs for you, no need for any other software.

Hence the line:
"although if iFunbox can install them now as has been said above, this is all unnecessary"

Just explaining the process if he was intent on installing from the iPad itself.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
I just tested it, if it is a non-cracked IPA file, you can drag and drop it onto your device and it will install, a cracked IPA file will fail the DRM check, and iTunes will throw out some security error, there's the answer to your question.

Menneisyys2

macrumors 603
Jun 7, 2011
I just tested it, if it is a non-cracked IPA file, you can drag and drop it onto your device and it will install, a cracked IPA file will fail the DRM check, and iTunes will throw out some security error, there's the answer to your question.

Note that only the Windows version is able to install IPA's. I haven't had any success with the Mac version - there, the progress meter just stalls showing the IPA is continuously being installed. (Tested with signed (non-cracked) IPA's only with both JB'n and non-JB'n iOS 5+ iDevices.)

thewright1

macrumors regular
Apr 3, 2008
I'm creating an app, and I'm trying to archive it for distribution so i can run tests on a few of my friends devices. I was able to export the .ipa file but I'm having a problem installing it onto their devices. When I double click the .ipa files, it installs it into my main devices apps but not onto the actual connected devices apps. Does that make sense? Anyone have any ideas on how to do this? I tried using the steps from the development portal, but I'm still unable to install the app that way either. Anyone have any experience with adhoc distribution?

thasan

macrumors 65816
Oct 19, 2007
Germany
ha true ok. I just know from experience, questions like this are 99% for not legit reasons

really? :rolleyes:
im in that 1%.
my wifi isnt working. i just downloaded a free game from itunes. was wondering how could i move it to my ipad...and google brought me here!

stashio123

macrumors newbie
Aug 28, 2013
Iʻve got a legit reason for the same

Donʻt know about others, but I may be wanting to re-install an older version of a legit app - namely, Documents - which I have been using for "everything" on iPad. They no longer support iOS 5, and I donʻt want iOS 6 for a couple of reasons - Maps and Readdlewire, for starts.
So if I should ever upgrade Documents unintentionally, I would be BADLY out of luck. I have saved a copy of the .ipa from a recent backup, and may have to install it somehow. I donʻt know about iFunBox, Iʻm a little wary of jailbreak-oriented apps, and Iʻd be flying blind in any case.
The real problem, of course, is the hyper-anal developers of the iTunes app, but nothing I (or anybody else!) can say will change any of that, I fear.
So, you see, not all of us interested types are Pirates!

TriJetHero

macrumors 601
Oct 13, 2010
World
According to itunes the august 22 update of Readdle supports iOS 5

Besides that iOS 6 is better, Maps is a standalone google app and iFunbox is easy

Maybe updating is a better option afteralll...

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
Donʻt know about others, but I may be wanting to re-install an older version of a legit app - namely, Documents - which I have been using for "everything" on iPad. They no longer support iOS 5, and I donʻt want iOS 6 for a couple of reasons - Maps and Readdlewire, for starts.
So if I should ever upgrade Documents unintentionally, I would be BADLY out of luck. I have saved a copy of the .ipa from a recent backup, and may have to install it somehow. I donʻt know about iFunBox, Iʻm a little wary of jailbreak-oriented apps, and Iʻd be flying blind in any case.
The real problem, of course, is the hyper-anal developers of the iTunes app, but nothing I (or anybody else!) can say will change any of that, I fear.
So, you see, not all of us interested types are Pirates!

If it is your paid app then you just drop the app into iTunes and sync it to the iPhone. (If you have the updated version just delete it before adding the older one). Just remember to always keep a copy stashed outside of iTunes invade you update the one inside iTunes by mistake.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.