Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

camera

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Hi

I keep getting the message "Cannot send message using the server Gmail" when attempting to email via Mail (Mac OS X, version 10.5.8).

However, when I use the connection doctor, it states that "connection to server and login succeeded".

I am able to receive emails and send them to myself too. Very frustrating! :confused:

Any ideas?

Thanks

Mark

camera

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 7, 2012
Problems with Mac Mail

Yep, I can access it this way. But for various reasons, it would be good to be able to use Mail. Really strange as this was not a problem on our previous machine :0(

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
1. Temporarily create a new user account on the Mac and try from that. If that works you have Mac account issues.

2. Temporarily create a new account at Gmail and try using in Mail from the original Mac account. If that works something is probably weird with the Gmail account.

I have seen iCal in Leopard completely refuse to sync with a specific Google account's calendar. A new account worked just fine. Also, the account worked fine in Snow Leopard. Your mail may be doing the same sort of thing.

SpetsnaZ99

macrumors member
Apr 27, 2012
UK
What i found recently was that certain mail providers such as Hotmail and Gmail don't like the user accessing and retrieving mail via an app because this means that you aren't viewing 'The Adverts' on the page. Get the idea ;). If you haven't visited the site within a certain number of days they will block the account. At the moment Hotmail have blocked my account and are asking me for my Mobile number in order for them to send me an unlock code, (no chance...).

My advice, get an email address from your ISP and use that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.