Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

95yjman

macrumors member
Aug 25, 2011
Fort Wayne, IN
I wish I had a photo of it but I don't, my first computer was a PowerMac 5200, all in one kinda deal. After that I moved up to a iMac g3 but still kept the powermac. These machines I have long since sold, but I wish I would of kept them..Ah well.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
First computer at home was a Leading Edge model D: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:LeadingEdge_Front_with_keyboard.JPG

First Mac was a used PowerBook 5300c. I had used Macs plenty since a Mac Plus in elementary school, but we never had one at home. My dad would occasionally bring one home from work, but it never stayed long. When I was in college, his work was retiring their 5300c's in favor of then-brand-new 1400c's. (My dad also won a 1400c personally, $5000 fully configured!) So he 'rescued' one of the 5300c's from recycling and gave it to me. Around Y2K, I got nostalgic and bought a used SE/30, then it all went downhill from there. (Although my first 'fairly current' Mac was a 12" 867 MHz PowerBook G4 - I always owned used ones before that.)

dmr727

macrumors G4
Dec 29, 2007
NYC
The first computer we had at home was a TRS-80 Color Computer, which was later replaced by the original Macintosh in '84. The first computer that was *mine* was a 286 clone that my Dad cobbled together for me. I spent a lot of time playing Sierra adventure games on that machine. :)

Don't have any pics of them, though. The 128K Mac got me hooked on Macs early - although it was black and white, the screen was higher resolution than anything else available in the consumer market at the time.

Kashchei

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2002
Meat Space
I first started playing around with my friend's Apple ][e and then bought the 128k Mac when it came out in 1984. I've never owned a Windows machine.

Daysight

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2011
First computer and first Apple computer:
IBM PC with 8086 chip in '87.
iMac 27" in '11.
Quite a ride, no regrets, happy now.

rshanahan

macrumors regular
Dec 24, 2007
North East, MD
TI 99/4a (loaded to the gills) before the Apple Iic (peripheraled out), then the IIGs Woz version (maxed out with just about every Applied Engineering card and, oh yeah, a ram fast scsi card). In 1991, jumped ship with a pc clone, running windows 3.1. Rode the blue boat until 2007, when I came back with what you see in my sig (and yes, still using that macro).

I miss Parsec :D

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Mine was an IBM I think? xD

But... I remember using PPC macs at college (iMac G5s and Powermac g4s) and liked them I bought an iPhone from a friend, then I bought a Mini and now a MBP and that's how i've came to like Macs.

Damn, I still fantasise about owning a Powermac even though I have a MBP =)

Renzatic

Suspended
1. Atari 800

Sup to a fellow oldschool Atari owner! My first computer was this...

Atari800XL.jpg

...though without the cassette drive.

I used it to play Donkey Kong, Montezuma's Revenge, and spent many an hour goofing around with the Atari Touch Tablet my mom bought me for my birthday.

No, I didn't do anything particularly serious with it. But comeon. I was 6.

My first Apple? Well, I haven't personally owned an Apple product until my recent iDevice purchases, but my first experience with their computers was through my neighbor's Apple IIe. Which we used to further our education by playing Mystery House, Horizon 5, Chivalry, and loads and loads of text adventures.

chrono1081

macrumors G3
Jan 26, 2008
Isla Nublar
Well, I had a first computer, it was a Leading Edge IBM Compatible. Other computers out around that time had "multimedia" and colorful screens with backgrounds of hot air balloons...

...the Leading Edge had a monochrome screen (yellow) as it was severely outdated by the time we got it.

My second computer was a hand me down from my aunt that ran Windows 3.1. Again, severely outdated and only useful as a typewriter by the time I got it.

And finally, what I consider my first REAL computer was a Gateway 2000 running Windows 98. I was so excited when I got this because now I could take all the C code I wrote in notebooks for the past two years and compile it on a real computer! (And learn more about computers). It had a 4 GB hard drive, 16mb of ram, and who knows what for a video card.

Sadly it was still behind the curve when I got it but I didn't care, I FINALLY had a computer! I was 16 or 17.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
1st puter was (my brothers) Schneider (Amstrad) CPC464
1st own puter was an Amiga500 sometimes later
Followed by an Amiga1200 and 2000 later, which than got replaced by a AthlonXP running Amithlon, a Pegasos1 and later Pegasos2 running MorphOS and now various PPC-Macs (Mini, PowerBook, Quicksilver) running MorphOS too.

From 1992 (or so) I also allways had a "PC" mostly to showcase how good Amiga really was :p 286@10MHz to 386@40 running Dos and Win3.1. The 386 is also where I started with Linux which went trough a bunch of 486s and Pentium-class CPUs.

In 2006 I bough my 1st MacMac (2x1.8GHz Mini) which is now replaced by a 2010 base-modell iMac.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
1st puter was (my brothers) Schneider (Amstrad) CPC464
1st own puter was an Amiga500 sometimes later
Followed by an Amiga1200 and 2000 later, which than got replaced by a AthlonXP running Amithlon, a Pegasos1 and later Pegasos2 running MorphOS and now various PPC-Macs (Mini, PowerBook, Quicksilver) running MorphOS too.

From 1992 (or so) I also allways had a "PC" mostly to showcase how good Amiga really was :p 286@10MHz to 386@40 running Dos and Win3.1. The 386 is also where I started with Linux which went trough a bunch of 486s and Pentium-class CPUs.

In 2006 I bough my 1st MacMac (2x1.8GHz Mini) which is now replaced by a 2010 base-modell iMac.
Haha I always had a PC, how times change eh? XDD

Mayari

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
My first computer was a Packard Bell 486DX2/66, back in 1994 (I was 7). It had Windows 3.11 and Packard Bell Navigator installed, which we eventually upgraded to Windows 98. It was so slow with Win98 installed, even with a processor upgrade from 66 MHz to 100 MHz.

The next computer we had was an HP Pavilion tower (800 MHz Pentium III) with ...Windows ME (whyyyyy :mad: ), which we upgraded nearly the moment Windows XP was released. After that, I ended up going through 2 terrible, logic board and hard drive-failed laptops while in college until I finally got my MacBook Pro. The whole family has since switched over to Macs, and in ~2 years, we haven't had many issues. :)

gw128k

macrumors newbie
Jun 12, 2012
Maryland
I love how this is an Apple forum yet most of the people posting here owned a PC or other non-Apple computer as their first. Unfortunately I am no exception.

My first comp I believe I got for Christmas one year, probably in the late 1990s when I was about 2 (yes, I'm young lol). It was probably running Win 95. I don't have it anymore - my parents got rid of it because it didn't have enough memory.

My second was some kind of HP with Win 98. Got it when I was about 3. It was given away to our poor neighbors in 2004 or '05. I was pretty upset.

Soon after I got a Gateway desktop for Christmas. I still have it, but rarely use it.

In late 2008 my parents bought me a Dell Inspiron 1525. My best friend and I had been marveling over how great it would be to have a laptop (we both only had desktops) and how great it would be to have Vista (HAH!). So while at Best Buy one night I got one. I still have it, but don't use it often.

Then, in November 2010, something happened that would change my life forever. I got my first Mac! It's a MBP - 13". I'd been wanting a Mac on and off since 2006 and was thrilled that I'd finally gotten one. I will never go back - :apple: forever!

S. Pupp

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2012
S. Carolina
TRS-80 Color Computer

It was fun to type in a hundred lines of code from Rainbow magazine or a Radio Shack book, and play the resulting text-based game (anyone remember "IT - the intra-terrestrial?") It was fun to PEEK and POKE and see what happened.

A year later, I was required to buy a Mac Plus by my college. After 9 years of almost daily use, the Plus was put into semi-retirement because I could not fit OS 6 and StyleWriter drivers and MacWrite and my papers all on the same 800k floppy. The cost of a 4MB RAM upgrade and a hard drive was far too high. After the original battery died at age 14, the Plus went into full retirement.

I recently found out that my wife has a Stylewriter in storage. I upgraded the Plus' RAM to 4MB using spares I had lying around, connected successfully a SCSI CF drive loaded with system 7, cured the screen flickering that started in 1991 by re-soldering the flyback transformer's pins to the analog/power supply board, and put in a new battery.

As soon as I find ink cartridges for the Stylewriter, my 26 year old Mac Plus will be put back to work.

estrides

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2012
New York
Mine was a Packard Bell 75mhz Pentium w/8mb RAM. 4Gb Hdd...Thing was ridiculous after we upgraded the original 4mb RAM to 8.....:rolleyes:

atlanticza

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
Cape Town
My first 'proper' PC was the original IBM PC with two floppy disks... later upgraded one to a massive 5 Gig hard drive!

Attachments

• 320px-IBM_PC_5150.jpeg
    320px-IBM_PC_5150.jpeg
    15.4 KB · Views: 600
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.