Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
Looking to get 1Password for the Mac. I see it was in a bundle last year. Before I pay full price, is anyone aware of any discounts/bundles that include this software?

Thanks!

Zauberer

macrumors regular
Oct 7, 2010
I tested out 1password and honestly didn't like it. I opted for LastPass instead which I find much easier to use (and cheaper!).

Both programs offer free trials. I suggest taking advantage of them.

jmcgeejr

macrumors 6502
Oct 7, 2010
Seattle, WA
Looking to get 1Password for the Mac. I see it was in a bundle last year. Before I pay full price, is anyone aware of any discounts/bundles that include this software?

Thanks!

Love 1p, I have it for my iPhone,iPad,mac mini,macbook air, and they all sync via dropbox, hands down the easiest app that I tested out. And it integrates perfectly with FF and safari.

Yes, we all know 1Password is awesome, the OP was asking for discounts. Just try google and see if you find anything.

Honestly, I would just buy it on the MAS, because the devs said it would be a free upgrade there to 1Password 4, so that would probably beat any discount you might get. Plus, I love buying apps in the MAS :)

But yes terrific app. you should try the free trial if you haven't already

Shrink

macrumors G3
Feb 26, 2011
New England, USA
I tested out 1password and honestly didn't like it. I opted for LastPass instead which I find much easier to use (and cheaper!).

Another vote for LastPass. The Safari Extension is free, and I have been very pleased with it.

Since I have never used 1Password, I cannot make an informed comparison, but I am not sure what more it can offer that I need or that is provided by LastPass.

Worth a look...:D

Sital

macrumors 68020
May 31, 2012
New England
Honestly, I would just buy it on the MAS, because the devs said it would be a free upgrade there to 1Password 4, so that would probably beat any discount you might get. Plus, I love buying apps in the MAS :)

One thing to keep in mind is that the MAS store version does not have the same functionality as the version downloaded directly from AgileBits (although most users probably wouldn't notice the difference) http://support.agilebits.com/kb/1pa...ts-the-difference-between-1password-39-and-38

@sdsvtdriver: http://www.retailmenot.com/view/agilewebsolutions.com

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
How safe/secure is 1password?

I've never used it but I've heard good things about it.
Steve Gibson (Security Now podcast) did a recent review of the security of a bunch of password apps and didn't even mention 1Password. When Leo Laporte probed him about it he said 1Password was very secure. It uses all the right security measures to be as crack resident as possible currently

As for the original question, I haven't seen it bundled with any discount bundles right now.

sdsvtdriver

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 31, 2008
Southern California
One thing to keep in mind is that the MAS store version does not have the same functionality as the version downloaded directly from AgileBits (although most users probably wouldn't notice the difference) http://support.agilebits.com/kb/1pa...ts-the-difference-between-1password-39-and-38

Thanks for the information. I did not realize there was a difference between the two. Looks as though the website can be a but cheaper, but v4 upgrade is something to think about.

Thanks everyone for your feedback.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Hi there, Kyle from AgileBits here.

I just wanted to clarify a few things. You all are welcome to ask questions or PM me directly if you're more comfortable. I would suggest our support site though: http://support.agilebits.com

As for discounts available. We do not have any bundles going currently. I'm sorry about that :(

We do feel it is worth the money even at full price though.

In terms of actual visual changes between the two versions there is really only one thing that may actually matter to anyone.

The Mac App Store version has a menu bar icon (optional) that lets you access items from the menu bar directly.

Other than that, the features are mostly the same, though due to the Mac App Store they are worded a bit differently depending on the version.

I would suggest the Mac App Store version. The added benefit of getting a free upgrade to 1Password 4 is a nice thing. We have not made any decisions yet on how to handle the website version upgrades. It's just too early to tell.

How safe/secure is 1password?

I've never used it but I've heard good things about it.

For security information, you can read all about the Mac app security here:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/agile_keychain_design.html

and more specifically how we work with regard to Dropbox syncing and security:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

It's very secure as it is now, but we're going to be making some major changes in 1Password 4 that makes it even more secure.

I hope this helps answer some questions. Feel free to ask away if you have any others.

Sounds Good

macrumors 68000
Jul 8, 2007
For security information, you can read all about the Mac app security here:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/agile_keychain_design.html

and more specifically how we work with regard to Dropbox syncing and security:

http://help.agilebits.com/1Password3/cloud_storage_security.html

It's very secure as it is now, but we're going to be making some major changes in 1Password 4 that makes it even more secure.
Great, thanks. I'll check out those links. Security is obviously ultra-important when it comes to a product like this.

Concerning the discount: if you DO come across any, I'm only a PM away! ;)

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Great, thanks. I'll check out those links. Security is obviously ultra-important when it comes to a product like this.

Concerning the discount: if you DO come across any, I'm only a PM away! ;)

You're very welcome!

We do discuss security a lot on our blog as well: http://blog.agilebits.com

I'm not sure if we'll have any sales coming up, those are all outside of my job description :)

If you're interested in knowing about sales, I suggest signing up for the newsletter on our main page:

http://www.agilebits.com

Just click the "newsletter" link at the top and type in your email. We send out emails only for very major things (major product releases and major sales). At most you should expect 2-3 emails a year I'd guess. I'm not sure we've sent one out at all this year to be honest.

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR

1Password has a trial? Not from the Mac App Store I would guess.. That's what really gets to me about the app store.. No trial period!

I'll look for the developer's site and see if I can get the trial period, as I was curious to try this app. Thanks for the info.

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
1Password has a trial? Not from the Mac App Store I would guess.. That's what really gets to me about the app store.. No trial period!

I'll look for the developer's site and see if I can get the trial period, as I was curious to try this app. Thanks for the info.

We do in fact offer a free trial of the website version of the app.

Just to make sure it's clear. The website version doesn't have some of the internal limitations of the Mac App Store version, but feature for feature there is only one major difference. That's the menu bar icon.

One important difference (for some people) is that the Mac App Store version requires that if you use Dropbox the Dropbox folder location must be in your user's home folder. Anywhere else (such as Documents, or *shudder* the Desktop) will not work with the Mac App Store version.

This is due to the sandboxing requirements. It requires that we specify exact locations for the data file, and we allow it in two locations:

~/Library/Containers/com.agilebits.onepassword-osx-helper/Data/Documents/1Password.agilekeychain

~/Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain

Where "~" is the users home folder.

This shouldn't affect very many people so it isn't a big deal. Using the default location for Dropbox should be what people use anyway.

Kyle
AgileBits Support

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK
To be honest, there is no contest, 1password is the best password App out there, not just for the features of the App itself, but the high level of excellent support that Agilebits gives, as demonstrated by Kyle.

stevelam

macrumors 65816
Nov 4, 2010
Are custom fields still not available for wallet items? This is a pretty big oversight compared to competitors like splashid who do have custom fields. It's the main reason I don't use 1password.

Last edited:

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
Are custom fields still not available for wallet items? This is a pretty big oversight compared to competitors like splashid who do have custom fields. It's the main reason I don't use 1password.

We hear you loud and clear. This is something we would like to see as well. We cannot promise anything but I do want to make sure you know that your voice has been heard on this. Hopefully you will see some variation of this in the future. Note that this requires some pretty major rewriting of a lot of 1Password and its data file.

Also, this just in.

1Password for Mac and 1Password Pro (the iOS iPhone/iPad version) is on sale 20% off until June 16th 2012.

I just checked the Mac App Store (US Store) and can verify that it is indeed on sale there already too.

For those of you holding out hope for a sale, now is a good time to consider. As always, let me know if you have questions. I'll be happy to help.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
We hear you loud and clear. This is something we would like to see as well. We cannot promise anything but I do want to make sure you know that your voice has been heard on this. Hopefully you will see some variation of this in the future. Note that this requires some pretty major rewriting of a lot of 1Password and its data file.

Also, this just in.

1Password for Mac and 1Password Pro (the iOS iPhone/iPad version) is on sale 20% off until June 16th 2012.

I just checked the Mac App Store (US Store) and can verify that it is indeed on sale there already too.

For those of you holding out hope for a sale, now is a good time to consider. As always, let me know if you have questions. I'll be happy to help.
Sure is. Now $39.99 this week for WWDC. Thanks for the heads up.

blndcat

macrumors newbie
Jun 10, 2012
Does 1Password work with applications as well as web sites/browsers?

While most of my logins and passwords are for web sites, not all of them are, so I am looking for a password manager that can handle everything.

Does anyone know if 1Password works with applications*, like Skype or Tweetdeck? I am using LastPass and they have this feature in beta form but only for Windows...

* Seamlessly, not a klutzy copy and paste hack

AGKyle

macrumors 6502a
Jun 10, 2012
While most of my logins and passwords are for web sites, not all of them are, so I am looking for a password manager that can handle everything.

Does anyone know if 1Password works with applications*, like Skype or Tweetdeck? I am using LastPass and they have this feature in beta form but only for Windows...

* Seamlessly, not a klutzy copy and paste hack

This is actually very difficult on Mac OS and programmatically not possible on iOS.

I believe you could probably use a standardized url scheme to make it work on iOS but it would be insecure and not such a good idea.

If it were possible we'd be all over it I think. I can have a chat with our developers after WWDC to see whether there is a technical reason it isn't possible on Mac OS though.

----------

To be honest, there is no contest, 1password is the best password App out there, not just for the features of the App itself, but the high level of excellent support that Agilebits gives, as demonstrated by Kyle.

Whoops, I missed this one earlier it seems.

Thanks for the kind words James. We really do try to provide top notch customer support. Sometimes it is tricky and takes some time but we go pretty far to help our users.

I recently had a screen share I did with a customer that showed her how the application worked since she was struggling. Fixed up an issue she had and then gave her a tutorial of how the application works to help clarify things.

While that's a little abnormal and takes a lot of time (usually a good 20-30 minutes to prepare for it, plus whatever time it takes to fix the problem) but it typically pays off for the user. We don't do it often due to time constraints but it does give an indication of how far we'll go to help.

The founders of AgileBits believe in a positive customer support experience and that's what we aim to provide. When you pay for one of our applications you get a top notch support team to help if you run into trouble.

We still do support for 1Password 2 which is several years old now!

Daysight

macrumors regular
Dec 15, 2011
Love 1Password. How do I switch from being a direct-purchase owner to a Mac
app store owner? Will there be an issue with Gatekeeper if I don't switch?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.