Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

apple_tv_2012_interface-150x92.jpg
While Apple is not expected to reveal its long-rumored television set product that has been the subject of increasing rumors at today's Worldwide Developers Conference keynote, Topeka Capital Markets analyst Brian White has published a new research note addressing some of his expectations for the device based on a recent visit to Taiwan for the Computex trade show and to visit with supply chain companies in several markets.

White believes that the Apple television set will adopt several methods of interaction, most significantly including motion detection technology, perhaps similar to that found in Microsoft's Kinect offerings. He also suggests that the television will still include a remote control, which will arrive as an iPad-like touchscreen device.
Regarding Apple TV, the data points during our trip indicate the Company will use a special type of motion detection technology on future full blown Apple TV that we expect to be unveiled within the next couple of quarters, rather than touch technology. Also, our contacts indicate a unique remote control with a touch panel form factor that looks similar to the iPad would be used to control the device. The bezel is expected to be a plastic composition, rather than the aluminum unibody exterior that surrounds the MacBook Air.
White makes no mention of Siri voice control, but many observers expect that Apple will also make use of its voice recognition and natural language processing algorithms to make it easy for users to control their television viewing experiences.

Finally, the new report from White also outlines his continued belief that Apple is preparing to launch a smaller "iPad mini", with both that product and the next-generation iPhone reportedly lining up for a simultaneous launch in September of this year.

Article Link: Apple Television Set to Include Motion Sensing Control and Touchscreen Remote?

emacna1

macrumors regular
May 31, 2012
I think the current Apple TV remote is excellent. A touchscreen remote is not needed in my opinion.

ganymedes13

macrumors member
Dec 30, 2011
And just when I was wondering where the crazy rumors would come from on the day of the keynote...

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
For the love of god put analyst's ridiculous speculation on Page 2.

Analysts are NEVER right.

estockme

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2011
What about all this requires an entire television? Why not build this stuff into a future apple tv + an app? Or is it more about brand cache to have the apple television set?

radiogoober

macrumors 6502a
Jun 7, 2011
An analyst has to be an idiot to write that Apple would make an iPad sized remote, instead of using the iPhone, iPad, etc.

whooleytoo

macrumors 604
Aug 2, 2002
Cork, Ireland.
I think the current Apple TV remote is excellent. A touchscreen remote is not needed in my opinion.

Different strokes for different folks I guess...

But I HATE the ATV remote. Too easy to accidentally click the select button while scrolling. And a 'digital' up/down button is a very poor way of scrolling through lots of content. A touchscreen remote would be far, far quicker and more accurate for selecting programmes from an EPG.

Hopefully, the TV sends the programme list to the remote, so you can keep the existing programme on-screen while scrolling through the EPG on the remote.

pinchez

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2006
The public at large (me included) will absolutely not pay the premium that Apple will charge for there TV's. The trend is is for large cheap screen that people can add there own PVR's, Consoles and media players to.

This is a stupid move by Apple and they should concentrate on developing the Apple TV in to a must have device with Apps.

Lordskelic

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2010
Texas
It's Apple. Of course it's going to be a touchscreen remote or some kind of "revolutionary way to interact with your television".

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
He also suggests that the television will still include a remote control, which will arrive as an iPad-like touchscreen device.

My instant reaction: sounds a lot like an iPod touch.

We already have touchscreen remotes that adapt to the current and future ecosystem.

They include:
iPhone
iTouch
iPad

Remote is a great app. But as a dedicated remote, people expect it to work instantly… they don't expect to have to unlock the device, and wait for wi-fi connection to establish…

olowott

macrumors 6502a
May 25, 2011
Dundee, UK
We already have touchscreen remotes that adapt to the current and future ecosystem.

They include:
iPhone
iTouch
iPad

Exaclty, why include another touchscreen device when we got the best, all we need is just an app like the remote app:cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.