Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

crs.one

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
Touchscreen only remote = YUCK! YUCK! YUCK!

Don't want to HAVE to stare at my remote for every single action, real buttons are a must. I do, however think a touch display has its place, but that would be alongside a few (common action) hard buttons.

I will miss the days of not having to recharge my remote all the time. Though via Bluetooth or wifi, a great little "where is my remote hiding now?" app could save me from cushion diving every other day!

I think the concept is you won't have to look at your remote at all. Worst case scenario, hold it up to your mouth to speak commands, provided Siri makes the necessary improvements.

spcdust

macrumors 65816
May 6, 2008
London, UK
People keep mentioning a 4K display......why would anyone want one at this moment in time? Pointless and expensive and won't happen for the foreseeable future as no mainstream media supports it.

Touchpad type remote.....I can see an argument for it however I hope they make it robust enough for all the times it get's knocked onto the floor, sat on and such like - I don't want to treat the TV remote with "kitten gloves"

With all these supposed high end innovations which sound extremely costly I'm not sure Apple could justify a premium price. I tend to agree that the majority of people are happier paying a cheaper price for a panel and connecting their own devices. The display industry keeps innovating at a fast pace (4K will eventually become mainstream) that do you really want to pay a premium price for an Apple TV which will rapidly get left behind in terms of features and display quality? Would Apple sell enough units to justify the R&D / production costs?

Finally, Analysts are full of bull, they have been touting an Apple TV for years and just make up stuff and regurgitate speculation they read on these forums as some sort of qualified fact. TBH I would not be surprised if this Apple TV never materialised, however if it does I'm thinking this may be the one that burns Apples fingers.

Schizoid

macrumors 65816
May 29, 2008
UK
Samsung are out of the gates with the Smart TV I see... looks good too, anyone had a play yet?

mrklaw

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2008
they need buttons on this. Even more than for games (which really need them), you don't want a touchscreen only remote. For selecting a macro, or pressing a channel logo, touch is fine (or for selecting a movie to watch). But quickly changing the channel, muting or changing the volume, you want to be able to blindly feel for a button and press it without having to unlock it or look down at a screen. Or talk.

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
His comment on the smaller iPad totally discredited his statement. Smaller iPad is not going to happen.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
you're too old to understand and will never get it.

Ok then, how about explaining your point of view so that other children may understand. And I, though old and stupid, shall make my best attempt to also comprehend your superior intellectual insight.

notabadname

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2010
Detroit Suburbs
I so -don't care- about an Apple TV. I am going to buy a TV based on picture quality, and not gimmicks like speaking to it or waving at it. Most of us leave a TV on an HDMI input and use the cable box or satellite box to control the source/channel that we watch. And many of us need a universal remote to control those boxes, the blu-ray and maybe receiver/stereo. I don't see this ever succeeding anymore than the AppleTV box currently does, which has pretty weak market penetration.

pinchez

macrumors member
Dec 1, 2006
Samsung could well be the next Apple!

Look at the Gallaxy 3 phone it absolutely blows the iPhone out the water and I love my iPhone but never have I been more tempted to switch!

Thing is it's not just about the tech, Samsung will do it well and importantly do it cheaper...

kalsta

macrumors 68000
May 17, 2010
Australia
Yep, they need to have a lot more than that up their sleeve if they hope to compete with Samsung in the TV market.

You're right. In fact, Samsung are so confident in the superiority of their technology, they really do believe the TVs will sell themselves. But just in case they don't, they promise you a 'behind-the-scenes' look at Angela Bellotte leaving little to the imagination… and all you need to do is 'like' Samsung's smart TV page on Facebook. :rolleyes:

lzyprson

macrumors regular
Mar 2, 2012
Ok then, how about explaining your point of view so that other children may understand. And I, though old and stupid, shall make my best attempt to also comprehend your superior intellectual insight.

Did you throw a hissy fit in 2007 when you had to give up your CrackBerry for a touchscreen iPhone? I'm sure you at least bitched about it on Macrumors.com...

Dont knock it till you tried it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
I think the current Apple TV remote is excellent. A touchscreen remote is not needed in my opinion.

Try doing any kind of password entry on it and you might disagree.

That said I don't see them making a touchpad just for this. Update the remote app. Perhaps this alleged remote is an update of the iPod touch to a slightly larger screen, I could buy that as a possibility

----------

Is Brian White usually accurate with his predictions?

Last April he said this tv would be out by the end of the year. As in 2011.

drober30

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2007
The new remote must have the ability to control my other devices hopefully with out line of site. Maybe a wifi adapter with flashers.

dashiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2003
The public at large (me included) will absolutely not pay the premium that Apple will charge for there TV's. The trend is is for large cheap screen that people can add there own PVR's, Consoles and media players to.

The public at large will not pay the premium Apple will charge for their* small capacity MP3 player. People want large storage for cheap.

The public at large will not pay ¢99 a song when they can get it free from Napster for free.

The public at large will not pay $500 for a phone when they can get one for $199.

The public at large will not pay $500 for a glorified iPod touch

There’s a reason Apple has $100 billion in the bank, dominates profit and market share in MP3 players, music stores, smart phones and tablets and you and I make stupid comments on the internet.

* There – in, at or to that place or position
Their - belonging to or associated with the people or things previously mentioned

ru2b12

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
Similar to the eyetv software...
I think a multiplex mode for OTA channels would be nice. :)

andy845

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
You're right. In fact, Samsung are so confident in the superiority of their technology, they really do believe the TVs will sell themselves. But just in case they don't, they promise you a 'behind-the-scenes' look at Angela Bellotte leaving little to the imagination… and all you need to do is 'like' Samsung's smart TV page on Facebook. :rolleyes:

Personally i think the advert is quite entertaining and fun! For those who haven't seen this you can watch it here.

http://www.moreaboutadvertising.com...ve-motion-scores-for-samsung-and-betc-london/

Boghog

macrumors member
May 7, 2007
Here's why the remote can't be an iPhone, iPod or iPad, why it can't have any other functionality other than communicating with the TV: if it does, it will never be there when you need it. You don't want a remote that your kids will be tempted to take next door to update their Facebook status or play games on.
So a dedicated device sounds about right.

I still don't buy the :apple:TV-set rumors. It's a market that has almost no margins in the low price range and that they can't bring anything to in the higher price range that they couldn't do just as well with their little box. Actually all of the ideas floating around could be realized if the new miraculous device WAS just the remote with the addition of a little receiver to plug into any old TV you happen to own. What :apple:TV really needs, in my opinion, is a port to plug in a live TV signal. But this is me. I still think the iPad needs a stylus.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
When Steve Jobs wrote in his Biography that "I've finally cracked it!" I can't imagine him meaning this:

1289385686familyplaying.gif

What would truly be revolutionary is a voice navigated TV, one that works well. You'd only need a tiny remote with a mic, and that's what I think is coming.

sclawis300

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2010
You don't really need a dedicated remote. An iPad app would do fine -- See DirecTV's app. I use it all the time b/c it works better than my flaky whole house IR repeater system.

Does it work better than Uverse's app? They continually update it and break it. When it does work it is awesome, that just seems to never happen these days.

pugnaciousp

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2010
Kansas City, MO
I love my current Apple TV. When I'm sitting in my living room with friends and want to show everyone this video on YouTube, I can just pull it up on my iPhone and send it to the big screen... effortlessly. Recently, I discovered Stream2Me and now I can pull up a movie (in any format really) on my iPhone/iPad and just send that straight to the big screen.

I wish Apple would keep with the same idea of an aTV being an extension of your Apple devices to your home theater. I'm not looking for a new television set, and tapping into that well developed market seems unnecessarily risky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.