Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

At WWDC today, Apple introduced a third line of notebook computers that Phil Schiller called the "Next Generation MacBook Pro." He noted that the company was "willing to discard old, legacy things" to make a new notebook that was radically thin and light. An Apple video called it "the very best computer that we've ever built."

NewImage8.png

The new MacBook Pro -- which is in addition to the existing line of Pro's, which was also updated today -- is built around a 15.4" Retina display at a 2880x1880 resolution, 220 ppi with 5,184,000 pixels, with a display that is built directly into the unibody construction to make the notebook lighter.

It includes quad-core Ivy Bridge processors up to 2.8GHz and turbo boost up to 3.7GHz, up to 16GB of MacBook Air-like non-upgradable 1600MHz RAM, and a maximum of 768GB of next generation flash storage. The new Pro weighs in at 4.46 pounds and is 0.71" thick, but does not include a MacBook Air-like tapered body. There is no optical drive.

Apple has developed a new type of fan to keep the machine cool. It uses an asymmetrical blade system to cool the machine while being as quiet as possible. Apple claims the thermal management system operates in a way that is nearly imperceptible to the user.

Apple claims 7 hours of battery life with 30 days of standby time. It includes an SD slot, HDMI, and a USB 3.0/2.0 combo port on the right side, and a MagSafe power port, two Thunderbolt ports, another USB 3.0/2.0 port and a headphone jack on the left. Apple will soon begin offering a Firewire 800 and Gigabit Ethernet to Thunderbolt adapters. The machine also includes "the best stereo speakers ever put into a desktop or notebook" and dual microphones.

Pricing begins at $2,199 for the base model with the Retina display, a 2.3GHz quad-core Ivy Bridge i7, 8GB of RAM, a NVidia GeForce GT 650M 1GB graphics card, and 256GB of flash storage. The Next Generation MacBook Pro begins shipping today.

Regarding the Retina display, Apple will ship a special build of Lion with HiDPI support built-in, and will include updated versions of iPhoto, Mail and Safari to support the increased resolution. Final Cut Pro and Aperture are also receiving updates as well. Apple has been working with major developers to get their apps updated, including Adobe Photoshop, Autodesk's AutoCAD, and Blizzard's Diablo III.

Article Link: Apple Introduces "Next Generation MacBook Pro" with 15.4? Retina Display, Starts at $2199

Last edited:

Cancelled
Feb 18, 2009
I'd hock my MBA and my iMac(s) for this, pending screen sexiness as observed in person. The only real drawback (other than $$) is how long it'll take third-party devs to retina-ify their apps...

MacReloaded

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2007
Canada
Retina display: 15.4-inch (diagonal) LED-backlit display with IPS technology; 2880-by-1800 resolution at 220 pixels per inch with support for millions of colours

Supported resolutions: 2880 by 1800 pixels (Retina); scaled resolutions: 1920 by 1200, 1680 by 1050, 1280 by 800, and 1024 by 640 pixels

How will this compare with the Hi-Res option in the current 15" MacBook Pro? Would the quality be slightly worse since those are not the native resolutions?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Hurray for no optical disc drive. Knew this would happen. Quite obvious from the direction Apple is currently headed.

ironsienna

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2010
I think the guys become better and better on their post Steve Jobs era presentation skills.

Also glad to see the integration of siri on cars

toshgiles

macrumors newbie
Jul 26, 2011
Napa, CA
The screen is hardly the draw for me...

The thin body, lack of optical-dinasaur drive, better battery, and power are what I want!!

Oh, and that new heat management system!!

Theclamshell

macrumors 68030
Mar 2, 2009
The fan sounds interesting. I would like to see the inside of this computer. I would also like to hear the speakers.

Edit: Looks like the ********s axed the 17". Fun173 is not happy.

Last edited:

finalcut

macrumors 6502
Oct 9, 2007
Quebec, Canada
DDR3L ram onboard, does that mean we cant upgrade on our own with third party ram?

I am afraid. And same thing for the SSD. No place for a 2nd HDD for music and pictures

thecypher

macrumors regular
Jul 10, 2008
no iPhone 5??

This sucks!! :eek: Was eagerly waiting for iPhone 5 announcement. What a let down!!! :mad:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.