Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

ios6-pr-500x409.jpg
At today's WWDC keynote event, Apple announced the next version of its operating system for the iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch. iOS 6 will feature new functionality for Siri, Facebook integration, a revamped Maps app, Shared Photo Streams via iCloud, and more.
iOS 6 continues the rapid pace of innovation that is helping Apple reinvent the phone and create the iPad category, delivering the best mobile experience available on any device," said Scott Forstall, Apple's senior vice president of iOS Software. "We can't wait for hundreds of millions of iOS users to experience the incredible new features in iOS 6 including the new Maps app, expanded Siri support, deep Facebook integration, Shared Photo Streams and the innovative new Passbook app.
In iOS 6, Siri will gain new capabilities to provide sports scores and schedules, make restaurant reservations via OpenTable, find local movie listings and even launch apps. Siri will also debut in new languages including Spanish, Italian, and French.

Facebook integration will be much like the current Twitter integration in iOS 5 with a system-wide log-in and the ability to quickly post from within apps. Contacts can be updated automatically using information obtained through Facebook. Third-party developers will be able to add this functionality easily with a public API.

A new Do Not Disturb mode allows users to schedule when notifications should not cause any sounds or visual alerts. The iPhone's Phone app will get new options to reply with a text message or prompt a reminder to return a call later when an incoming call arrives.

Shared Photo Streams lets you choose photos to share with selected family and friends. Shared photos can be viewed by others on iOS devices, iPhoto and Aperture on a Mac, or on the web or through an Apple TV.

Passbook is a new wallet app that will consolidate payment cards and electronic tickets. For example, customers at Starbucks can make payments using their Gold Card through Passbook. Also, movie tickets purchased through Fandango can be redeemed through Passbook. Airline boarding passes and even sporting event tickets will be accessible through Passbook as well. A new API will offer developers access to Passbook.

As expected, Apple has revamped the Maps app with its own map data. It will offer integration with Yelp for business listings and traffic information sourced anonymously and in real-time from iOS users. Turn-by-turn navigation will also debut in the new Maps app and guidance can be triggered by Siri.

iOS 6 will be compatible with the iPhone 3GS and later, 2nd-generation iPad and later, and the 4th-generation iPod touch and will be available in the fall. A beta will be available to developers today.

Article Link: Apple Announces iOS 6 with Siri Improvements, Facebook Integration, New Maps App, Passbook for Fall Release

jlblodgett

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2008
What was the comment re: FaceTime over cellular?

On the livestream - it said "FaceTime over cellular!!"

But then it said "only available over WiFi"

Which is it?

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
Disappointed that they are no longer supporting the original iPad. The iPhone 3GS is older and less powerful, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

wcuthbert

macrumors newbie
Nov 18, 2010
God dammit, my iPad 1 is just over 2 years old and they're already dropping support for it. Throw these new features in my face and then tell me I have to spend another $600 to get them.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
So it works on the slower 3GS, but not on the iPad 1? Ok, then..... I'm not too disappointed though, as iOS 6 doesn't appear to be bringing anything major to the OS anyways. Also, I find it very humorous that Apple shows charts about how Android is all fragmented, and how most users are on 2.3, but yet that is exactly what is going to happen to Apple themselves. Soon, you will still have some people on legacy devices using 3.1.3, more people on 2nd gen stuff on iOS 4, many newer devices left behind such as iPad 1 and 3rd gen Touch users on iOS 5, and the rest on iOS 6. How is that not fragmentation?

Last edited:

lilweeds

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2010
With all the Siri upgrades.... Does this mean Siri will be on any device that runs iOS6?

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
I'm not sure I understand the point of "Do Not Disturb," especially if you have to go into settings and turn it on, then go back after and turn it off. I can accomplish a similar thing by powering off the phone. How is this better than Airplane Mode?

Pizzaboy13

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2012
Why the fall?

Why would apple release iOS 6 in the fall? Mountain lion is almost useless without the iOS 6 software released! Unless they are releasing another iOS 6 device in the fall (7inch iPad) they have no other reason besides testing time to wait. I say that they should test it, give developers a month, and release it alongside mountain lion.

Saladinos

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Petty weak, IMO. Hopefully there are some good new APIs.

Besides, this is only half of iOS 6. Well find out the other half when the iPhone 5 is announced.

KALLT

macrumors 603
Sep 23, 2008
And now the interesting question: will Siri then come to other (older) devices too?

//It appears that someone was quicker than me. :)

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
What??? It runs on a 3GS but not my iPad 1??? This is ridiculous. My iPad 1 is only 2 years old. Talk about planned obsolescense.

Navdakilla

macrumors 65816
Feb 3, 2011
Canada
hmmm. not groundbreaking like I was hoping, but I'll stay positive until I try it out on the new iphones coming this fall.

AuricBlue

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2007
No iPad 1 support?

iOS 6 will be compatible with the iPhone 3GS and later, 2nd-generation iPad and later, and the 4th-generation iPod touch and will be available in the fall.

The new iOS 6 features look nice. However, I am a little confused as to why the original iPad isn't supported when then iPhone 3GS is. The original iPad has the same amount of memory, the same graphics processor and a faster CPU.

The only reason I can think of them not allowing it is if iPad apps are more resource intensive with larger graphics etc. If it's just too poor of an experience, I can understand Apple not supporting iPad 1. I am hoping Apple will explain the reason though, as it's not terribly obvious.

ryanmcv

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
With all the Siri upgrades.... Does this mean Siri will be on any device that runs iOS6?

No. See the bottom of this page:

*Siri will be available only on iPhone 4S and iPad (3rd generation) and requires Internet access. Siri may not be available in all languages or all areas, and features may vary by area. Cellular data charges may apply.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.