Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

newmacpro.png

Apple has quietly upgraded the Mac Pro with minor processor bumps and an increase in the standard RAM to 6GB in the least expensive configuration. The update does not include the much-anticipated addition of the Thunderbolt I/O system.

Reports The Verge:
Unfortunately, it's not much of an upgrade: you can simply get a pair of six-core 3.06GHz Intel Xeon X5675 processors rather than 2.93GHz ones we just mentioned. The base model will start at $2,499 for a single quad-core Intel Xeon W3565 processor at 3.2GHz, with an optional upgrade to a six-core chip, you can spend $3,799 to get a dual-processor configuration with a pair of the Westmere-EP based 2.4GHz E5645 chips, and upgrade to the aforementioned X5675 for an unspecified amount. Everything else stays the same, it seems.
The new Mac Pro's are now available on the Apple Online Store.

Article Link: Apple Offers Minor Processor Bump to Mac Pro Line, No Thunderbolt

jayhawk11

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2007
Stunned. Apple, if you're going to discontinue the Mac Pro, just do it. Don't piss on our shoes and tell us it's rain.

ckelley

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2003
Austin, TX
This is a huge disappointment. I'm not one for dramatics, but it really is a shame that this is all that they could do for the Mac Pro, considering what they just did for the MacBook Pros.

They could have also upgraded the graphics options as well at the very least, the 5770's are very old compared to the 6870 I'm running in a Hackintosh and 7000-series chips that AMD is shipping now.

LimeiBook86

macrumors G3
May 4, 2002
Go Vegan
Why even bother?? No recent CPUs, GPUs, USB 3.0 or Thunderbolt! :rolleyes:

Unless they're sitting on a new re-design of the Mac Pro to come out soon, I don't understand it. But if you had a new one on the slate, why update it at all?

Apple Key

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2012
This means one of two things. Apple is going to discontinue them in the future. Or they are working on a major redesign that just wasn't ready yet. Hopefully it's the latter.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
Not even Thunderbolt. Speaks volumes of how much attention Apple pays to the pro market.

Agreed—or at least, how much Apple believes the pro market is going to be focused on towers in future.

Still doesn’t mean a “real” Mac Pro isn’t coming someday. You can dream :eek: But we now know it won’t be soon. (As many have said, if something else were just around the corner, why bother with this?)

Mr-Stabby

macrumors 6502
Sep 1, 2004
Do you know what, that minor processor bump is actually more of a slap in the face than just dropping the product entirely. If they are working on a brand new model, i wish they'd just say something. Jesus. This secrecy ********* works for some products, but not for the Mac Pro.

Wild-Bill

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2007
bleep
What an INSULT

Hackint0sh here I come.

What a huge slap in the face. I have the urge to beat Tim Cook about the head with the Radeon 5770 that comes with the "new" Mac Pro.

F OFF,:apple:

:mad::mad::mad:

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
If there was a time and place to announce an updated Mac Pro it was WWDC. Only other place I could have imagined was to the video editor's conference (can't remember the name of it). This is simply disappointing. I was not in the market for one of these, but how could you not bring these up to Thunderbolt and USB 3.0? How could you not update the CPU's and graphics cards. The real pros need these machines updated -- you cannot ignore the pro market and leave that to somebody else.

ablasiman

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2012
iMacs?

I've been waiting for an iMac upgrade, and nothing! I'm wondering if Apple will quietly update them as well? Seem unlikely since they probably would have done it by now when they silently updated the Mac Pro. Not happy.

Sad day for people waiting on the Mac Pro. Hardly a pro machine with no Thunderbolt or USB3. What a joke.

ronm99

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
Say what?

Barely an update at all. What a joke. They didn't even bother with Thunderbolt or USB3.0.

Its like they wanted to kill it, but couldn't pull the trigger, so they just added what they could without having to do any work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.