Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 30, 2007
Seriously? No apps, still?!

Roku just let a huge sigh of relief.

The rest of us will have to hope that Google TV does better.

And I almost bought one last week, based on the SDK rumors.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Seriously? No apps, still?!

Roku just let a huge sigh of relief.

The rest of us will have to hope that Google TV does better.

And I almost bought one last week, based on the SDK rumors.

Awww I'm so sad to hear that I guess apple won't have a new iPhone this year too because it wasn't mentioned at the keynotes?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Awww I'm so sad to hear that I guess apple won't have a new iPhone this year too because it wasn't mentioned at the keynotes?

images

* actually i can tell, but still was very funny on my head

kikuchiyo

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2005
Atlanta, GA

They don't announce new iPhones at WWDC anymore. There's almost certainly an iPhone 5 coming this year, but it won't be announced until its own event in September.

EDIT: Or sarcasm?

macUser2007

macrumors 68000
Original poster
May 30, 2007

Ah, but a new phone is a given.

App store for ATV is not, and if it was coming, it was likely to be announced today (as the rumors suggested), so that there is a body of apps by the time the rumored iTV is unveiled.

Without an App store, Apple TV is simply lame, particularly since v.3 may never get jailbroken.

Next stop, Google TV. A couple of new boxes are coming out in the next couple of months.We'll see what that's like, I guess.

heisenberg123

macrumors 603
Oct 31, 2010
Hamilton, Ontario
Ah, but a new phone is a given.

App store for ATV is not, and if it was coming, it was likely to be announced today (as the rumors suggested), so that there is a body of apps by the time the rumored iTV is unveiled.

Without an App store, Apple TV is simply lame, particularly since v.3 may never get jailbroken.

Next stop, Google TV. A couple of new boxes are coming out in the next couple of months.We'll see what that's like, I guess.

what if and a big what if they are waiting to announce the new iOS for the ATV until they announce the new apple tv set?

eshroom

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2006
Maybe they will never release an App store for ATV...

If you could get App Store on ATV for an extra $80 (or $0 if you already have one) - why would you ditch your shiny Samsung (or Vizio or whatever) for an Apple Television Set?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Maybe they will never release an App store for ATV...

If you could get App Store on ATV for an extra $80 (or $0 if you already have one) - why would you ditch your shiny Samsung (or Vizio or whatever) for an Apple Television Set?

because they get 30% of anything you buy on those "shiny Samsung (or Vizio or whatever)" using the App store on the TV.

Worf

macrumors regular
Jun 23, 2010
Don't really know why people were expecting an ATV software update anyway when their September event is more focused on entertainment.

mic j

macrumors 68030
Mar 15, 2012
Don't really know why people were expecting an ATV software update anyway when their September event is more focused on entertainment.

I think, because it was a developers conference and people thought they would provide an sdk so app development would take place over the summer and have finished apps ready for a fall update. JMO

Soulweaponry

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2010

Not sure if it's worth anything, but i bought an appltv just for the airplay feature and was shocked at how good at was at everything else. From renting/buying movies, to how much better the netflix interface is than my ps3,xbox,blu-ray player. It was going to be just for air playing every now and then but now, it's replaced so much more.

Anyway, i hope they add apps too, but if you were going to buy an apple tv or you bought an apple tv with the idea that there was going to be a feature there that isn't there, then yeah. You made a mistake

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA

It a developers conference, the App are not going to magically code themselves, they need to release an SDK to developer so they have something for the Sep event.

rzod

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
It's a developers conference

Exactly. From what I understand, once the keynote is finished, the members of the media are kicked out. The rest of the conference is closed. Developers only. Who's to say that they didn't hand out the SDK until after the media was gone so developers could have apps ready for a Fall event? Maybe it didn't make sense to announce something for Apple TV that wasn't going to be available for several months anyway. I don't want to give anyone false hope, but this seems plausible to me. I truly believe that apps are coming, and I wanted it to happen now just like everyone else, but I think this event was all about the next-gen Macbook Pro. If they are going to turn the Apple TV from a "hobby" to something more, it will have it's own event (or at least a big chunk of one).

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Exactly. From what I understand, once the keynote is finished, the members of the media are kicked out. The rest of the conference is closed. Developers only. Who's to say that they didn't hand out the SDK until after the media was gone so developers could have apps ready for a Fall event? Maybe it didn't make sense to announce something for Apple TV that wasn't going to be available for several months anyway. I don't want to give anyone false hope, but this seems plausible to me. I truly believe that apps are coming, and I wanted it to happen now just like everyone else, but I think this event was all about the next-gen Macbook Pro. If they are going to turn the Apple TV from a "hobby" to something more, it will have it's own event (or at least a big chunk of one).

LOL no it Didn't happen

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I dont understand , what ****ing apps you want in the damm atv ? It does what is built for in a nice way , you need fart apps on your tv too ? Note taking ? iwork perhaps ?

About jailbrake you atv seriously is that a problem ? Just buy a cheap mac mini and hook it to your tv , xbmc , icefilm whatever without the hassle and more....

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Were you there? (Serious question; not trying to be antagonistic.) I didn't think my scenario was so ridiculous, but if you have some inside info, please share.

Yes, I am still here, working!

"Apple TV" had been a "curse" word during the whole event, you can tell that most Engineers had been told to stir away from any question or conversation about it

rzod

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2011
I dont understand , what ****ing apps you want in the damm atv ? It does what is built for in a nice way , you need fart apps on your tv too ? Note taking ? iwork perhaps ?

Why are you being so aggressive? Nobody has said they want fart apps. You can list all of the types of apps that wouldn't really make sense to use on the Apple TV, but that doesn't mean that apps in general wouldn't work. Hulu Plus would be nice. Amazon Instant, perhaps? Revision3? CNET? Nerdist? I realize that some of these probably wouldn't happen, but I would love to be able to install apps for all of the content providers I want to view, and delete the ones I don't need. I'll never, ever pay for those MLB, NBA, or NHL packages, so I don't want the icons to even appear in the UI. I would, however, watch college football on ESPN3. See what I'm saying here? I just want to be able to customize the thing a bit to match my viewing habits.

About jailbrake you atv seriously is that a problem ? Just buy a cheap mac mini and hook it to your tv , xbmc , icefilm whatever without the hassle and more....

The last time I checked, you couldn't jailbreak the Apple TV 3. Has this changed? The Mac Mini starts at $599. How do you see that as a legitimate option vs something that costs $99? Other devices are getting close to what I'm talking describing (Roku, Xbox), but they are all lacking something that keeps it from being the ultimate device (for me). The Apple TV has the most potential (again, for me). If a jailbreak for the 3 happens, and Apple lets developers start making apps (channels, if you will), I'll be over the moon. Until then, I'll keep my eyes open for something that meets my needs. If the Mac Mini is it for you, great. I just can't justify spending that kind of money when other, much cheaper devices are so close to what I want.

----------

Yes, I am still here, working!

"Apple TV" had been a "curse" word during the whole event, you can tell that most Engineers had been told to stir away from any question or conversation about it

Well, damn it. I don't get it. Is the revenue from movie and TV show sales so great that they are afraid to do anything to jeopardize it?

maturola

macrumors 68040
Oct 29, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Well, damn it. I don't get it. Is the revenue from movie and TV show sales so great that they are afraid to do anything to jeopardize it?

my very personal guess.....

prototypes were not ready, Next iPhone + new Macs, took a lot of development effort and the "hobby" project just didn't get enough bandwidth (still disappointing, but that is my guess)

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
rzodyour listing apps that are not there for a reason probably and never will , well amazon stream got on xbox if i remember not long ago so maybe it might show on atv, but you ask for custom things a little :) well you are in the wrong product if you looking for these....

Jailbreak ? What i was trying to say is thats nothing to complaint , he didnt seem happy with the fact that currently is not possible (maybe he can try do it himself?) and its not something apple have show interest in it so no he cant complaint about it.

The macmini puff do you really need a current model to do what your planning with a atv ?

For your needs atv is not for you , simple.

Ps. Sorry for sound agressive and for poor english :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.