Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jjhny

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2005
I want facebook dis-integration. I want to be able to turn it off. Most people, except the hardcore narcissists are getting sick of facebook.

Try ghostery for safari and see facebook track you at almost every site you go to.

I like being connected to friends - but I don't like being connected to Zuckerberg - that guy give me the creeps!

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
apple what happened to your innovations :eek:

33oji42.png

those "new" features don't justify a "new iPhone" AT ALL. i'm guessing they are still holding some things back .. ? :confused:

bigjobby

macrumors 65816
Apr 7, 2010
London, UK
Why would apple release iOS 6 in the fall? Mountain lion is almost useless without the iOS 6 software released! Unless they are releasing another iOS 6 device in the fall (7inch iPad) they have no other reason besides testing time to wait. I say that they should test it, give developers a month, and release it alongside mountain lion.

They'll probably release iOS6 at the same time as the iP5... marketing reasons.

muzzymate

macrumors member
Jun 17, 2003
Very disappointed that iOS6 is not coming to the first gen iPad. This really stinks for such an expensive device. Bought it last year and already the software support is ending. Will see what happens with iOS7 and if it drops support for iPad2 before I make any further purchases.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
However, I am a little confused as to why the original iPad isn't supported when then iPhone 3GS is.

Well the difference is the iPhone 3GS is still currently being sold by Apple. The original iPad hasn't been sold for over a year.
Who cares? There is no reason why Apple couldn't put the software on the iPad 1.

Oh wait... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planned_obsolescence

Very disappointed that iOS6 is not coming to the first gen iPad. This really stinks for such an expensive device. Bought it last year and already the software support is ending. Will see what happens with iOS7 and if it drops support for iPad2 before I make any further purchases.
Don't be so cheap! Follow what Apple wants and put down at least $500 every year so you can replace your perfectly good, I mean really old and useless iPad with a brand new one! Don't you think $500 is worth it so you don't need to have a paper movie ticket anymore??? I go to the movies once every few months and I can see myself saving a few seconds every time! What an improvement, and it is certainly worth several weeks pay! Apple is too greedy now to care about the users, so unfortunately, our newer devices wont be getting support anymore.

Last edited:

Ansuz

macrumors regular
Jul 31, 2008
I'm not sure I understand the point of "Do Not Disturb," especially if you have to go into settings and turn it on, then go back after and turn it off. I can accomplish a similar thing by powering off the phone. How is this better than Airplane Mode?

It actually has benefit for some people. I use the same phone number for work and personal. Now, on my days off I can tailor it so work numbers go straight to voicemail but my friends/family do not.

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
I don't know what you guys expected, but you only have to look at OSX to realise that it was only ever going to be evolutionary, not revolutionary. I was hoping for an updated Youtube app...One thing you have to say about iOS is it just works. I tried my Dad's android, and there are so many damn menus to go in out of. Then you have to remember to close apps, or you run out of memory and so and and so forth.

I am interested to see what the 200 "new features" are though.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
What??? It runs on a 3GS but not my iPad 1??? This is ridiculous. My iPad 1 is only 2 years old. Talk about planned obsolescense.

Many people are still under 2 yr contract with AT&T with their 3GS. I'm pretty sure Apple still has to provide updates to those under contracts.

Sensation

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2012
A lot of this has already been in Android, the passbook thing looks like a massive inferior copy of Google Wallet.

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010

iPad 2 and iPad 3 are almost the same. iPad 2 will be supported for a while.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
No Siri API?

I do not see them mentioning any Siri API. So, no Siri for any applications but those provided by Apple, right?

Force332

macrumors regular
Mar 13, 2011
Didn't see this anywhere, but is there still no quick way to turn on/off wifi, bluetooth, etc. from anywhere other than the settings app? If this was mentioned, I missed it.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
Regarding the iPad 1, I guess we should have seen this coming when they kept iPhoto from running on it. I had planned on getting a new iPad this fall, but I just hate these things like this that Apple does. It just makes them seem so greedy. I've already bought a new Mac mini this year, because they said ML wouldn't run on my old mini. I guess their plan is you HAVE to buy new hardware every 2-3 years, if you want to keep upgrading your software.

getburl

macrumors newbie
Oct 13, 2007
Dis-integration for sure!

When I just found a network that values privacy at tagalong.io and now my favorite tech company goes the opposite direction, I am at a crossroads now. I am so tired of everything having to create some global story of me shared with the rest of the world. Every app will have all these prompts to integrate with Facebook or twitter or it will happen automatically because I logged into FB once in safari? FB in my browser and on every site I visit is too much for me now. And if I upgrade now I gotta worry about FB all over my computer? This reminds me of back in the day when I would install AOL on my windows machine and that crap spread everywhere in my system. It was a virus. FB is a virus.

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
This was posted by biff98786 over at Engadget. http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/wwdc-2012-keynote-roundup/
Again I didn't compile this, but I totally agree with it...

"A brief recap of Apple’s “innovation” in the last few iOS
versions:

iOS5:

Voice dictation – Stolen from Android, Siri was nothing more
than using Android’s idea and “one-upping” them

OTA updates – Stolen from Android

Notification bar – Shamelessly stolen from Android

Cloud services – Stolen from Android

iOS6:

You can now ask Siri how tall LeBron is – Ok…

Facebook and Twitter integration throughout the OS – Stolen from
Android, WebOS, and WP

Contact syncing – Stolen from Android

Homescreen actions when a call comes in – Stolen from
Android

Do Not Disturb mode – Stolen from Cyanogen (aka Android)

Tab syncing in Safari – Stolen from Google (Chrome)

Lockscreen notifications – Stolen from Android

Turn-by-turn navigation – Stolen from Android

3D maps – Stolen from Google"

I would also like to add Apple ticket app is pretty similar to Google Wallet for Android, so really, what has Apple done lately?? How ironic they sue everyone for supposedly copying them, but yet they themselves clearly copy more than anybody. I truly hope Google gives them a taste of their own medicine and sues Apple, as some of these points, such as the I am unavailable text messages when a call comes in, are such a blatant rip off of Android it isn't even funny.

Last edited:

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The phone text reply thing is copied from Android 4.

Cloud syncing of tabs has been around for a long time, Safari is just catching up.

Facebook integration has been in every mobile OS except iOS for months/years.

Turn by Turn navigation is free on Android and Nokia Windows Phones already.

Siri's local business listings is a copy of Local Scout for Windows Phone 7.

So yeah, it seems like this year WWDC has been all about Cupertino's photocopier.

RollTide1017

macrumors 6502
Sep 28, 2009
Montgomery, AL
Well the difference is the iPhone 3GS is still currently being sold by Apple. The original iPad hasn't been sold for over a year.
That's got to be the dumbest excuse I've ever heard. I have an 8 year old laptop with Windows XP that still gets updates from Microsoft. No, the real reason Apple isn't supporting the iPad 1 is greed. Apple says "if you aren't willing to spend at least $500 on a new iPad every few years then you aren't worth our time."

rkahl

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2010
This was posted by biff98786 over at Engadget. http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/wwdc-2012-keynote-roundup/
Again I didn't compile this, but I totally agree with it...

"A brief recap of Apple’s “innovation” in the last few iOS
versions:

iOS5:

Voice dictation – Stolen from Android, Siri was nothing more
than using Android’s idea and “one-upping” them

OTA updates – Stolen from Android

Notification bar – Shamelessly stolen from Android

Cloud services – Stolen from Android

iOS6:

You can now ask Siri how tall LeBron is – Ok…

Facebook and Twitter integration throughout the OS – Stolen from
Android, WebOS, and WP

Contact syncing – Stolen from Android

Homescreen actions when a call comes in – Stolen from
Android

Do Not Disturb mode – Stolen from Cyanogen (aka Android)

Tab syncing in Safari – Stolen from Google (Chrome)

Lockscreen notifications – Stolen from Android

Turn-by-turn navigation – Stolen from Android

3D maps – Stolen from Google"

I would also like to add Apple ticket app is pretty similar to Google Wallet for Android, so really, what has Apple done lately?? How ironic they sue everyone for supposedly copying them, but yet they themselves clearly copy more than anybody.

Maybe you should buy a Samsung then and stop reading MacRumor's.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
I'm not sure I understand the point of "Do Not Disturb," especially if you have to go into settings and turn it on, then go back after and turn it off. I can accomplish a similar thing by powering off the phone. How is this better than Airplane Mode?

1. You can tell it to let information from specific contacts through, so you can still get, say, emails from your boss.
2. It keeps the connection running in the background, but turns off notifications. That way, you will still have all the emails, messages, etc, loaded when you check. As opposed to waiting for your phone to find a signal and spin through loading everything.

At least this is my take from a read of the macrumors live update. Sounds wonderful to me. It's what I can do with SBSettings, but without the jailbreak.

VinnyChau

macrumors newbie
Mar 10, 2012
Disappointed that they are no longer supporting the original iPad. The iPhone 3GS is older and less powerful, so I'm not sure what the issue is.

Excellent point, but if I were to play the "Devil's Advocate" the issue is the 3GS is still available for sale, whereas the first-generation iPad is not. Dropping 3GS support would be huge fail in terms of selling the phone cheaply in emerging markets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.