Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Where's the iTunes Beta?

Well iOS6 is now up on the Dev site, but you need to backup/restore to iTunes 10.6.3 Beta... and the link to the new iTunes Beta just takes you to the current 10.6.1 release!

:eek:

Last edited:

nickn

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2011
Maybe you should buy a Samsung then and stop reading MacRumor's.

I have an HTC Evo smartphone. It is much nicer than any mobile Apple devices I have had, or used. In the mean time though, while I await my new Asus Transformer, I still have my ****** iPad 1. I was hoping that perhaps the update would make it a little more bearable, but alas no.

The phone text reply thing is copied from Android 4.
At least on my old LG, that capability was even in Android 2.2 from several years ago.

Last edited:

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
I don't know what you guys expected, but you only have to look at OSX to realise that it was only ever going to be evolutionary, not revolutionary. I was hoping for an updated Youtube app...One thing you have to say about iOS is it just works. I tried my Dad's android, and there are so many damn menus to go in out of. Then you have to remember to close apps, or you run out of memory and so and and so forth.

I am interested to see what the 200 "new features" are though.

For a company always bragging how much better their phones are than Android, it is pretty pathetic when most of your new features are already present on Android.

thefourthpope

Contributor
Sep 8, 2007
DelMarVa
The phone text reply thing is copied from Android 4.

Cloud syncing of tabs has been around for a long time, Safari is just catching up.

Facebook integration has been in every mobile OS except iOS for months/years.

Turn by Turn navigation is free on Android and Nokia Windows Phones already.

Siri's local business listings is a copy of Local Scout for Windows Phone 7.

So yeah, it seems like this year WWDC has been all about Cupertino's photocopier.

How upsetting for you. I hope you can still find some use for the these (new to apple) features. I know I can barely make a call on my iPhone. My home phone was already doing that so many years ago...;)

Frazzle

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2007
Here comes fragmentation

Siri only on iPhone 4S and iPad 3, therefore navigation and flyover also only on those devices, VIP mailbox only from iPhone 4 and iPad 2 onwards (?!), Shared Streams only from iPhone 4 and iPad 2 onwards, hearing aids only from 4S onwards, FaceTime over cellular from iPad 2 and iPhone 4 onwards...

See? The iPhone 3GS may be getting iOS 6, but in name only.

Meanwhile, the iPad 1, a perfectly functional device, gets relegated to the technical scrapheap. They can sum up how 'green' they are on all the new MacBooks all they want, but this planned obsolescence for the iPad more than 'makes up' for that. Very disappointing.

techkidd4400

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2007
I want facebook dis-integration. I want to be able to turn it off. Most people, except the hardcore narcissists are getting sick of facebook.

Try ghostery for safari and see facebook track you at almost every site you go to.

I like being connected to friends - but I don't like being connected to Zuckerberg - that guy give me the creeps!

I don't have a problem with Zuckerberg - he earned his luck fair and square - but integrating facebook in iOS6 is an incredibly bad idea. With all of the data Apple, Facebook, and the cell phone service provider will be able to share from our use of the iPhone, they really ought to pay us for carrying around these phones. Hopefully, in about a year Apple will regain their common sense and regret this move and dis-integrate facebook from iOS6.

VSMacOne

macrumors 603
Oct 18, 2008
Cue the usual complainers after an iOS release... By the time iPhone 5 and the final iOS 6 launches in the fall, i'm sure the tone will change again :rolleyes:

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Siri only on iPhone 4S and iPad 3, therefore navigation and flyover also only on those devices, VIP mailbox only from iPhone 4 and iPad 2 onwards (?!), Shared Streams only from iPhone 4 and iPad 2 onwards, hearing aids only from 4S onwards, FaceTime over cellular from iPad 2 and iPhone 4 onwards...

See? The iPhone 3GS may be getting iOS 6, but in name only.

Meanwhile, the iPad 1, a perfectly functional device, gets relegated to the technical scrapheap. They can sum up how 'green' they are on all the new MacBooks all they want, but this planned obsolescence for the iPad more than 'makes up' for that. Very disappointing.

Ahhh...semantics, I love it!

Risco

macrumors 68000
Jul 22, 2010
United Kingdom
This was posted by biff98786 over at Engadget. http://www.engadget.com/2012/06/11/wwdc-2012-keynote-roundup/
Again I didn't compile this, but I totally agree with it...

"A brief recap of Apple’s “innovation” in the last few iOS
versions:

iOS5:

Voice dictation – Stolen from Android, Siri was nothing more
than using Android’s idea and “one-upping” them

OTA updates – Stolen from Android

Notification bar – Shamelessly stolen from Android

Cloud services – Stolen from Android

iOS6:

You can now ask Siri how tall LeBron is – Ok…

Facebook and Twitter integration throughout the OS – Stolen from
Android, WebOS, and WP

Contact syncing – Stolen from Android

Homescreen actions when a call comes in – Stolen from
Android

Do Not Disturb mode – Stolen from Cyanogen (aka Android)

Tab syncing in Safari – Stolen from Google (Chrome)

Lockscreen notifications – Stolen from Android

Turn-by-turn navigation – Stolen from Android

3D maps – Stolen from Google"

I would also like to add Apple ticket app is pretty similar to Google Wallet for Android, so really, what has Apple done lately?? How ironic they sue everyone for supposedly copying them, but yet they themselves clearly copy more than anybody. I truly hope Google gives them a taste of their own medicine and sues Apple, as some of these points, such as the I am unavailable text messages when a call comes in, are such a blatant rip off of Android it isn't even funny.

What a silly post, do you want me to list the amount of things Android "stole" from iOS? I think you will find that Android would not have an operating system if they were forced to remove multi touch and pinch to zoom. ;)

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
Sorry, but that was iOS6 the most boring, tedious, lacklustre and disappointing thing I've ever watched.

Siri Siri, Sports (yawn)
Busy messages (yawn)
Cloud stuff (yawn)

Where was all the NEW stuff that actually made any difference?
Same old UI with nothing new to add STILL.

And there was me thinking, OMG, my iPad 1 will not be able to use this, according the the news reports, will I be missing out on anything new and cool?

Errr, no. Nothing there I think I'd even notice if I did upgrade to iOS6

What a shame, and they think the UI and everything about the "User Experience" of iOS is the most advanced and full featured of any mobile OS in the world?

Sheesh, Even a quick jailbrake, which I have not done, adds features some people feel they can't live without.

Why don't Apple do something new for once?

Sorry, but really disappointed by iOS6 after all the speculation and build up.
:(

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
I have an HTC Evo smartphone. It is much nicer than any mobile Apple devices I have had, or used. In the mean time though, while I await my new Asus Transformer, I still have my ****** iPad 1. I was hoping that perhaps the update would make it a little more bearable, but alas no.

At least on my old LG, that capability was even in Android 2.2 from several years ago.

Sell it and get a Honeycomb Hideout tablet.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Let's see....

FaceTime over 3G - 3G unrestrictor in Cydia for years,

Pull to refresh Safari - in Cydia for years,

Facebook in notification centre - Weefacebook in Cydia,

Do not disturb -literally DoNotDisturb in Cydia,

No stock app refresh or small UI redesign?

SBlue1

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2008
Passbook looks great. Lets hope lots of companies are going to use it.

chr1s60

macrumors 68020
Jul 24, 2007
California
I want facebook dis-integration. I want to be able to turn it off. Most people, except the hardcore narcissists are getting sick of facebook.

Try ghostery for safari and see facebook track you at almost every site you go to.

You do realize that almost of site on the internet does the tracking you speak of, right? Yes Facebook does too, but pretty much every site you go to does. And Collusion is a much better program than ghostery.

nefan65

macrumors 65816
Apr 15, 2009
Let's see....

FaceTime over 3G - 3G unrestrictor in Cydia for years,

Pull to refresh Safari - in Cydia for years,

Facebook in notification centre - Weefacebook in Cydia,

Do not disturb -literally DoNotDisturb in Cydia,

No stock app refresh or small UI redesign?

Great, if you want to JB your phone. 95% of the people who own an iPhone don't care, or want to do this.

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010
Great, if you want to JB your phone. 95% of the people who own an iPhone don't care, or want to do this.

The point is Apple should have done this years ago. Your holding back not jailbreaking. People have had this stuff for a long time so don't be surprised when we find it underwhelming.

KikoPT

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2009
not supporting iPad 1?

There is really no motive in terms of hardware for not supporting iPad 1. If 3GS is supported, iPad 1 should also.

I've got both and was waiting for the iPhone 5 to upgrade, but after this, i'm getting a bit pissed at Apple.

My older 3GS, which is slower than the iPad 1 will support iOS 6 ... my iPad won't ...

I'm really unhappy about this. Even considering giving my iPad 1 to my girlfriend feels kinda stupid now ...

This is Apple just forcing you to upgrade :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.