Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Everyone seems to love NFC but the fact of the matter is that until there is a standardized payment infrastructure nation wide, it is a relativity pointless feature.

You would still have to carry you cash/card to most stores/gas stations/ect.

It is the exact reason why Google Wallet never gained any traction with NFC.

Why would an airline company or sports stadium invest in NFC when they would still have to support bar codes/QR codes for people without NFC enabled devices?

Apples solution solves that problem.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Seems logical. Mind you, where I am in the UK NFC is nonexistent. I have had it on my credit card since before Christmas and haven't used it once because there are no card readers here that use NFC. And I still worry somewhat about security....

URFloorMatt

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2010
Washington, D.C.
Everyone seems to love NFC but the fact of the matter is that until there is a standardized payment infrastructure nation wide, it is a relativity pointless feature.

Build it and they will come. Apple has 9 car manufacturers putting Siri buttons on their steering wheels. No one's going to standardize the infrastructure until there's a device worth standardizing for.

As this presentation made clear, Apple has extremely more clout leveraging new functionality than Google. Virtually everyone with an Android device is running 2.3 and 2.4. Almost none are running 3.0 or 4.0. Google Wallet can't get it done.

Why would an airline company or sports stadium invest in NFC when they would still have to support bar codes/QR codes for people without NFC enabled devices?
It's complimentary functionality, no doubt. You can envision Passbook plus NFC allowing you to leave your wallet at home, as your credit card could be stored on the device and swiped over a paypass-type device.

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
Seems logical. Mind you, where I am in the UK NFC is nonexistent. I have had it on my credit card since before Christmas and haven't used it once because there are no card readers here that use NFC. And I still worry somewhat about security....

You might guess from my username that I'm also in the UK and I have to say it is not true that there are no card readers. There isn't many though.

ndavid126

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2012
Chicago, Illinois

You would still have to carry you cash/card to most stores/gas stations/ect.

It is the exact reason why Google Wallet never gained any traction with NFC.

Apples solution solves that problem.
There already is Pay With Square and that works with some places.

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
You might guess from my username that I'm also in the UK and I have to say it is not true that there are no card readers. There isn't many though.

Starbucks and McDonald's have it. The only other one I can think of in my town is a heron food store. I have a contact less debit card that I've never used contactlessly, but the technology does impress me.

flipshot

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2007
Hertfordshire, UK

Might be because I live near London, but they have started popping up everywhere around here over the past few months. Must be around 40% of shops have them now.

Centralman

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2009

Ive seen them in lots of places. I think Costa has them, McDonalds has them, Nero coffee has them and I think Starbucks has them too.

I think if the iphone gets it more places will start using the technology cause they know it is a popular device.

Jordan921

macrumors 603
Jul 7, 2010
Bay Area
I'm hoping for NFC in the new iPhone aswell. As of right now I use the starbucks app to pay for my drinks and all it takes is a scan. Alot more simpler then having to pull out wallet and using cash or pulling out a card and having to swipe it. Hopefully lots more places will get the readers for NFC.

kiwiboi87

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2011
New Zealand
I'm keen as for NFC,
the bus service in welly has just taken up using NFC with android phones,

and the great thing is, this bus service allows you to buy stuff from shops, subway/coffee stores etc

so very keen to see it

scottish

macrumors 6502a
Aug 10, 2011
Guess
Starbucks and McDonald's have it. The only other one I can think of in my town is a heron food store. I have a contact less debit card that I've never used contactlessly, but the technology does impress me.

Ive seen them in lots of places. I think Costa has them, McDonalds has them, Nero coffee has them and I think Starbucks has them too.

I think if the iphone gets it more places will start using the technology cause they know it is a popular device.

McDonald's and Starbucks are the ones I thought of when I typed my original message. I wouldn't say there's been a widespread adoption but they are pretty big names with lots of outlets. I read the other day that the Post Office will be rolling NFC out to all of it's branches.

Carlanga

macrumors 604
Nov 5, 2009
I don't think so; NFC will not come to the iPhone, it's lackluster and only has a few places and I think one bank supporting the android devices w/ NFC. I think this is a technology we as a whole will skip until something better or more efficient comes along.

PAPO

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2009
Australia
I have to agree (at least partially) with the OP I think Passbook is apple prepping for NFC, and somewhat testing the waters, if uptake is good enough then we may see NFC soon

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
I was thinking the same thing, but there are definitely going to be very few retailers on board when and if this launches...

mncmoore

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2008
Everyone follows apple. If apple puts it in, NFC will bloom and everyone else will follow.

tdar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2003
Johns Creek Ga.
One thing all of you are missing. :apple: leads they do not follow. There will be no NFC , a non standard that is mostly now identified with Google.

:apple: does not do things to make others $$, they do things to make themselves $.

So NO to NFC, Yes to pay with apple id in Passbook.

thewitt

macrumors 68020
Sep 13, 2011
Apple holds 26 NFC patents. It's highly likely they will use them at some point...

kirky29

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2009
Lincolnshire, England

The Heron in Lincoln has it?? I'm in Spilsby so nowhere here has it!

--

Until my local Sainsbury's or Shell garage has it, it's still useless! --- but.....I do want it!

iceman314

macrumors newbie
May 13, 2004
Utrecht, The Netherlands
I think that Apple is preparing itself to the mobile payment with Passbook, but not necessarily (and only) with the NFC hardware.
My opinion is that Apple will deploy a system to enable payments, perhaps using NFC for new iPhone, but also with other methods, to use mobile payment also with all other iPhone models equipped with iOS 6.
Don't forget that the force of iPhone is that one half of the planet (ok, perhaps quite less :)) owns an iPhone 3gs/4/4s and all these phones have not NFC. In order to make this type of payment available soon (I mean, used not only by McDonald's, Starbucks and other big stores), you should consider not only iPhone 5 but also older models, currently on sale.
How? I don't know :D

Parise

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2012
Orlando, FL
Pretty much.

Just because Google sucks at life and couldn't get it done...

I mean, seeing as they own over half the market share I wouldn't exactly say they "suck at life".

The issue with NFC is that its still relatively in its infancy. Little is still unknown about any potential NFC threats and I'm pretty sure people dont want an non-secure technology transmitting their banking/personal data.

Cool technology though, hope it catches on for certain things. I'll continue to pay my bills with cash or a physical credit card, however.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.