Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In line with our report from earlier today, Apple has launched its annual Back to School promotion, offering educational customers a $100 iTunes Store gift card with the purchase of a Mac or a $50 card with the purchase of an iPad.

back_to_school_2012.jpg

As detailed in the official terms and conditions (PDF), the promotion is valid on the purchase of a new (non-refurbished) iMac, MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, Mac Pro, or third-generation iPad. As in past years, the Mac mini is excluded from the promotion.

The promotion begins today and runs through September 21, and the gift cards are valid for purchases in the iTunes Store, iOS App Store, Mac App Store, and iBookstore. The offer is available in the following countries, with gift card amounts varying based on local currency: Austria, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Finland, France, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, Norway, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, United Kingdom, and United States.

Article Link: Apple Launches 2012 Back to School Promotion

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
So with this, I can get the new Macbook Pro with retina display for $1999.99 with my $200 student discount and a $100 iTunes gift card? I think that's a good deal!

KylePowers

macrumors 68000
Mar 5, 2011
So with this, I can get the new Macbook Pro with retina display for $1999.99 with my $200 student discount and a $100 iTunes gift card? I think that's a good deal!
Best Buy will probably match $1999 and give you a $100 Best Buy gift card. Perhaps that may be more useful to you (this how I bought my 2011 MBA).

But not too shabby! Retina + 8GB of RAM + 256GB SSD + USB 3.0 + 2xTB + 7 hour battery... nice!

deannnnn

macrumors 68020
Jun 4, 2007
New York City & South Florida
When I ordered the new retina MacBook Pro earlier today, it offered me the $100 card, but then wouldn't let me complete check out with it in my cart. So I deleted it, placed my order and called Apple. They told me that apparently a lot of people had been having trouble and that Apple is going to go back and add the $100 card to all education Mac purchases today. It hasn't happened yet but she said she'd follow up with me on Wednesday to make sure that it does.

kockgunner

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Vancouver, Canada
What if one bought an iPad less than 2 weeks ago. Is there a way to retroactively get the back to school promotion? I could just return it and rebuy it, but I don't want to waste a perfectly good iPad and waste packaging and everything, as well as go through the hassle of setting it up.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
What if one bought an iPad less than 2 weeks ago. Is there a way to retroactively get the back to school promotion? I could just return it and rebuy it, but I don't want to waste a perfectly good iPad and waste packaging and everything, as well as go through the hassle of setting it up.

Such things are at the whim of the local manager but I would think that if you qualify for the promo they would so long as you ask within the return period. Likely cause they know if they say no you'll just return the one you had and turn around and buy a fresh one and that will waste a working unit, etc

Last edited by a moderator:

virtualandy

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
I want to buy a MacBook Air for my college-bound brother-in-law. I'd like to use the Apple financing (because maybe I want to tack on an Air or iMac for us, too), so can't just hand him a check and tell him to go pick it up.

Is that possible (buying a laptop via education discount for someone else)? And is it possible to use the 12 month financing for educational discount purchases?

Dindorio

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2012
Best Buy will probably match $1999 and give you a $100 Best Buy gift card. Perhaps that may be more useful to you (this how I bought my 2011 MBA).

But not too shabby! Retina + 8GB of RAM + 256GB SSD + USB 3.0 + 2xTB + 7 hour battery... nice!
Wow!!!! i think its a great opportunity. Also its money saving. I want to get this $100 gift card to buy a lot. :)

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
I want to buy a MacBook Air for my college-bound brother-in-law. I'd like to use the Apple financing (because maybe I want to tack on an Air or iMac for us, too), so can't just hand him a check and tell him to go pick it up.

Is that possible (buying a laptop via education discount for someone else)? And is it possible to use the 12 month financing for educational discount purchases?

In my 2 experiences buying education discounts... you don't need to show proof of in college if you order online. You just have to choose which school the person is going to. If you're buying the computer for someone else, I doubt you'd have any trouble anyway.

----------

So the GC won't work in the apple store?

I can't remember, but it either will work in all the stores... or maybe just the digital ones.

----------

They wouldn't let you get it. You could always call and complain.. and say you could just return and buy again. They might give it to you under those circumstances.

virtualandy

macrumors newbie
May 25, 2010
ghostlyorb said:
In my 2 experiences buying education discounts... you don't need to show proof of in college if you order online. You just have to choose which school the person is going to. If you're buying the computer for someone else, I doubt you'd have any trouble anyway.

Thanks. I think I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Woulda really been nice to order an iMac along with an Air! :)

ghostlyorb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2010
Virginia, USA
Thanks. I think I'll give it a shot and see how it goes. Woulda really been nice to order an iMac along with an Air! :)

No problem! Have some fun with those new computers! I love seeing people switch to macs. My church has done so nearly 100%.. and a co-worker who is an ADVID PC user just got the Retina MBP and is ready to switch.

sammee

macrumors newbie
May 21, 2012
I think it is a good deal.
Now the apple fans is more and more,everyone is looking forward to some news.
I also like pay attention to the newest news about Apple from ifunia iPad/iPhone column.;)

amt2002

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2008
Hi guys, I went to the apple store on Friday September 21st and was told I couldn't get my back-to-school voucher as the offer expired the previous day.

Do you think this is right? When it says expires on the 21st I read that as being till 23:59 on the 21st!?

Natasha ley

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Australia
Hi guys, I went to the apple store on Friday September 21st and was told I couldn't get my back-to-school voucher as the offer expired the previous day.

Do you think this is right? When it says expires on the 21st I read that as being till 23:59 on the 21st!?

When the date is mentioned 21 st we can avail offer till the last minute. How it can expire before ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.