Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
You might be surprised how accurate your sarcasm may be

Well a lot of those high-school kids look like pro video editors, photographers, and musicians to me... Very odd.

Sorry, more sarcasm. But if you really think the average US teen is ordering a Retina MacBook Pro today, I think you're vastly overestimating the economic status of most American families. That is a pro machine, no question.

Last edited:

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
I think Apple are going to see the reaction to the new Retina MB Pro's BEFORE updating the rest of the range, why else has it launched only one machine with the screen, it could have easily implemented it into the 13" Pro and the Air's.

So I think next year, we will see totally redesigned iMacs with retina and flash storage and a totally redesigned Mac Pro with some tasty options and retina cinema display's. And imagine ac Pro with SSD's as standard?

I like the sound of that! :apple:

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
I'm pretty sure that quote is only referring to the Pros being updated next year.

Dear god I would hope the iMacs aren't scheduled for 2013.

I hope so, I really NEED a new Mac to replace my 2005 G5 PM and want an iMac but not going to buy one knowing it could be released in weeks.

Does Apple normally release any other hardware over the next few does at the WWDC?

macrumors 603
Jan 8, 2009
Let's ignore the Mac Pro, neglect it for a few years, fail to update it, which leads to professionals and businesses losing interest and faith in Apple's pro-line, then claim "desktops/workstations are dead" as sales fall due to Apple's neglect. Yeah, that makes sense. :rolleyes:

Apple FAIL

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
The Mac Pro is dead, todays minor bumps have confirmed it.

Apple are clearing their current inventory, simple as that.

Unless you're a high-level Apple exec (unlikely if you're posting here), you have absolutely no idea what will happen to the Mac Pro.

They discontinued the 17" MBP today--are you saying they had no inventory of that machine, but some Mac Pros lying around they needed to get rid of? It seems more likely to me that they gave the Pro a little bump and price drop because it is rather outdated, keeping it around until the new design ships.

Apple has not historically left products around to clear inventory. They have a refurb store that can be used to clear inventory if they really need to.

But, you know, I'm not Tim Cook or Phil Schiller, so I'm just speculating.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
I hope so, I really NEED a new Mac to replace my 2005 G5 PM and want an iMac but not going to buy one knowing it could be released in weeks.

Does Apple normally release any other hardware over the next few does at the WWDC?

Not in the next few days after WWDC, nor during WWDC, but quite commonly during the next few weeks. If you're in the market for an iMac, I recommend you hold off until you absolutely can't do without one.

Having siad that, the current iMacs are powerhouses, so you'll be OK either way.

Last edited:

iLilana

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2003
Alberta, Canada
concerns

Not using standard parts in the new macbookpro makes repair work an effin nightmare. I just got shivers down my spine from remembering the days of the first bondi iMac, different ram etc etc. Its cool and if I can afford it I'll get it the new MBP. but the ridiculous price of ram for that model kinda pisses me off. I believe its not removable. which means if you want the 16gb version its apple ram or nothing. I was however looking forward to a giant leap in pro tower specs. Making them with no USB3 and no Thunderbolt means this lady is not buying it until they show some serious pro tower love. The lack of ivy/xeon x-over was disheartening.

neat just realized I was upgraded to 6502. about time... its been 9 years.

scottsjack

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2010
Arizona
The hard drive and video card is the same no upgrade here .But the RAM is what they updated and made the CPU a bit faster.

Also the price is much cheaper now.

Wow, the RAM is updated! It's still not enough and is too expensive. A new Mac Pro owner in the USA is still going to get his RAM from OWC.

Note that the standard HDD is a 1TB with 32MB cache, just like the Caviar Black unit came in my 2010 MP in August 2010. Even then I was already buying Caviar Blacks with 64MB cache since the 32MB model had been replaced.

Where does Apple find these museum quality components?

Blue Sun

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
Australia

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Yeah exec might have been talking about retina screens and redesign and not spec bump iMac release.

NOt sure what a spec bump release gains the iMac though. Ivy Bridge was more about laptops.

macrumorsuser10

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2010
I posted this 30 minutes before this news article. Looks like "Susan" stole from me.

I posted this news snippet from David Pogue on the Mac Pro forum at 3:56 PM PDT. And then "Susan" gives a tip to MacRumors, and it shows up on the front page at 4:30 PM PDT. Looks like "Susan" stole my news clip. I wonder what else "Susan" has stolen in her life? Credit cards? Cars? Children?

tomihasa

macrumors newbie
Jun 20, 2011
Finland
Love It!

I love my old Mac Pro 8-Core, which is much less laggy than my MacBook Pro. I hope Apple remembers the end users in this.

AppleInMyBlood

macrumors regular
Mar 26, 2012
How is RAM that is 2 times more than what they had before and a 20% fater CPU than the old one a minor bumps .

Old https://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=342627&d=1339442551

New http://store.apple.com/us/browse/home/shop_mac/family/mac_pro

Well said. I would love to know how many of the complainers on the forum today actually need a machine more powerful than the current Mac Pro. My guess is... one or two, at most. Probably fewer. ;-)

Then there are all the people decrying the (non)end of the MP, who could never afford to buy one anyway.

Last edited:

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
What a bunch of crap!!! I feel as if Apple has spit on the face of professional users. They have kicked the core group of Apple users in the face, the users who stuck by Apple when they were being beat up by Microsoft.

The Mac Pro upgrade should be called Mac Amateur, thee is NOTHING pro about this upgrade.

I am moving to BOXX...

I hope I can do UNIX on a BOXX machine. If not, then I will, believe it or not, switch to Windows....

Apple has not kept up to date with professional graphics hardware. Final Cut Pro is being abandoned by professionals and now the Mac Pro will suffer the same fate. Apple is no longer cutting edge....

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
There is some hope.

In the last build and any earlier builds of OSX the system info said " no thunderbolt devices" . Now with the new build it says " no thunderbolt drivers installed" . This could mean some companies are coming out with thunderbolt for the PCI . I know before you say it can't be done Asus just did it with one of their boards that didn't support thunderbolt.

Ahh.. What the hell I'm delusional.

xbjllb

macrumors 65816
Jan 4, 2008
Also coming.... the Brooklyn Bridge

And if you believe that, I've got a Michigan "job creator" to sell ya....

How in the world they are going to justify another Mac Pro after a year of the single most dismal sales in the company's history is a real mind bender.

I know. They're waiting for the end of the Mayan calendar.

Just to make sure there's a planet.

:apple:

neversink

macrumors regular
Jan 16, 2008
Well said. I would love to know how many of the complainers on the forum today actually need a machine more powerful than the Mac Pro. My guess is... one or two, at most. Probably less. ;-)

Then there are all the people decrying the (non)end of the MP, who could never afford to buy one anyway.

You know nothing... Just conjecture... Go ahead fanny boy, stick your butt in the air. Me, I'm not going to let Apple screw me. My business, as do my competitors, need all the power we can get. I cannot afford to not move to BOXX as many of my competitors have already abandoned Apple. I need to stay on the cutting edge of technology, the cutting edge which Apple appears to have abandoned. Sorry if you live in La La land.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.