Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
We enjoyed it. From what I've heard it's pretty historically accurate, but who knows. I thought Costner and Paxton did a great job. I told my wife I was a Hatfield all the way. The McCoys seemed to just keep perpetuating the problem instead of just letting it go and moving on.

Interesting how McCoy could not believe God would allow all the s--- that came his way to happen, lost his religion and became a drunk.

We just watched the first half of the season finale of "The Killing". I've really had a good time watching the first and second season of this show. The character are very compelling and the writing is well done. I can't wait to watch the ending next week.

Neither me nor my wife were happy that the end of Season 1 had a gotcha ending. ;) We've hung in there, but she is vowing not to watch next season. I like the personal interactions, but at times feel there is a little too much time to explore personal dynamics.

We also just watched the first episode of the new season of TrueBlood. I can't believe some of what they are doing with some of the characters. It looks like it will be a lot of fun this season. I can't wait to see Christopher Meloni. My wife and I are big SVU fans and so I think he'll do an exceptional job.

Interesting the both me and my wife prefer the books. Have you read them? My critique of the show is that it lacks the humor of the book, is too gay focused (as compared to the books) at the expense of other plot features, and generally is much darker of a story. Charlaine Harris basically gave the keys to the car to Alan Ball and allowed him to drink and drive, lol.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Interesting the both me and my wife prefer the books. Have you read them?

Neither my wife nor I have read the books so we don't have anything to compare the show to. However, like you, I have heard others say that the show tends to stray quite a bit from the authors original work.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Anyone watching Dallas (TNT) tonight? :):) Mscriv, you must be obligated to watch, hehe. I'm not getting too excited about it, but I'm obligated to watch based on my addiction to the original show. ;) Maybe it will be worthwhile?

PS- I am amazed there have been no replies to my Battlestar Gallactica post.

Nov 28, 2010
located
It's been reported to be a great success viewership wise. :)

Any Battlestar Gallactica fans here, the 2004 version not the 1978 version? My son recommended that I watch it (Netflix streaming). I caught the first episode last night. Wow! I did not realize it was a reboot of the original premise. Some hot women on this show including No. 6, Tricia Helfer! Think I'll keep going with it. :)

It is quite a good series, I really liked its different approach to Sci-Fi (I discovered Firefly after nuBSG). Its best seasons are the first two, the last two (yes, season 4.0 and 4.5 are one season, SyFy) are still good, but many episodes feel very off.
Half a year ago I did a rewatch, and I only fast forwarded during one episode (which escapes me right now), and I still liked it. I can't do the same with Lost anymore.

And if you haven't watched Firefly yet, and you like Jewel Staite and Morena Baccarin and Gina Torres, I recommend it.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It is quite a good series, I really liked its different approach to Sci-Fi (I discovered Firefly after nuBSG). Its best seasons are the first two, the last two (yes, season 4.0 and 4.5 are one season, SyFy) are still good, but many episodes feel very off.
Half a year ago I did a rewatch, and I only fast forwarded during one episode (which escapes me right now), and I still liked it. I can't do the same with Lost anymore.

And if you haven't watched Firefly yet, and you like Jewel Staite and Morena Baccarin and Gina Torres, I recommend it.

I'm a big Firefly and Serenity fan. :) Honestly Battlestar Gallactica 4 episodes in, is just keeping me mildly interested.

ranceluci

macrumors newbie
Jun 19, 2012
Currently watching T.v Show :

Desperate Housewives
The Simpsons
Game of Thrones (HBO)
How I Met Your Mother
Big Bang Theory

nice show :) but missing "Two and A Half Man" :(

Happybunny

macrumors 68000
Sep 9, 2010
TV has closed down here for the summer schedule . This programming is re-runs, and old movies, in September the new season begins.
There is of course live sports, Euro football championships, then the Olympics.

But I seem to have some difficulty getting reception. :eek:
1324137620524.jpg

theonekcrow

macrumors 6502a
Jul 12, 2009
Indiana
What I am currently watching:
Burn Notice (USA Network)
Suits (USA Network)
White Collar (USA Network)
Law and Order: SVU (Netflix)
Big Bang Theory (CBS)
Cake Boss (TLC)

I also am going to check out the new version of Dallas if I get the chance,..

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
2 Words.

Jordana. Brewster.

I like her. It feels like she will be around for a while. :)

Currently watching T.v Show :

Desperate Housewives
The Simpsons
Game of Thrones (HBO)
How I Met Your Mother
Big Bang Theory

nice show :) but missing "Two and A Half Man" :(

TV has closed down here for the summer schedule . This programming is re-runs, and old movies, in September the new season begins.
There is of course live sports, Euro football championships, then the Olympics.

But I seem to have some difficulty getting reception. :eek:
1324137620524.jpg

But that is a fascinating rabbit. Does he have a top hat and cane? :)

Game of Thrones : absolutely fantastic.

I agree.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Got around to watching The Killing Season 2 Finale. I was ready for it to be over. Don't know if it's coming back. Don't know if I'll be watching next season.

tk1-watchchat-590-284x184.jpg

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Also catching up on Vampire Diaries Season 3 in time for season 4. Mostly to keep my wife happy. It's all right but I'd never watch this on my own. :)

the-vampire-diaries-season-2-download-complete-free.jpg

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Okay, this may not be the place to ask, but it is the TV thread. Can anyone who uses Hulu Plus tell me a little bit about the service for general television watching? Is it basically like having "on demand" services all the time? Can you just tune in to what is playing "live" on any given network at the moment? Is it any good for sports? I'm just curious... thanks. :)

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Okay, this may not be the place to ask, but it is the TV thread. Can anyone who uses Hulu Plus tell me a little bit about the service for general television watching? Is it basically like having "on demand" services all the time? Can you just tune in to what is playing "live" on any given network at the moment? Is it any good for sports? I'm just curious... thanks. :)

I don't use Hulu Plus, but I imagine it's like Netflix streaming. Yes, I would describe it as On Demand. You pull it up and there will be a list of content. You decide whether there is enough to make it worth a subscription. A competing service, Netflix has tons of old movies and TV shows. I've been streaming Battlestar Gallactica, the 2003-2009 series via Neflix.

I just read that AMC cancelled The Killing for next season. That's too bad. It had a real feel, real characters, and it was a good story. My critique is that they could have told this story in one season if they had gone lighter on the extraneous emotional interactions, and things like the wife going off to sort out her feelings, while she had an affair and tried to adopt another daughter (so to speak). It was almost like they were looking for filler material to make it a two season event.

tk2-holderlinden-590-284x184.jpg

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I just read that AMC cancelled The Killing for next season. That's too bad. It had a real feel, real characters, and it was a good story. My critique is that they could have told this story in one season if they had gone lighter on the extraneous emotional interactions, and things like the wife going off to sort out her feelings, while she had an affair and tried to adopt another daughter (so to speak). It was almost like they were looking for filler material to make it a two season event.

This news makes me sad. :(

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Anything new this fall anyone is looking forward to? I'm going to give Revolution a shot, although the cynic in me says plan on disappointment. The established shows I know I'll watch are Walking Dead, Dexter (just to see the finale), Modern Family, and Game of Thrones which may not start until Jan...

Upstairs, Downstairs on Netflix. If you like Downton Abbey, you should not miss this. 68 episodes (1971-1975). :D

It only took us a month to watch 5 seasons. You know it's a show, but sometimes you get so wrapped up in it that it feels like you're watching someone's life. It's low key, nothing like the new Dallas with bomb shells going off every 15 minutes, but it's completely excellent. :)

upstairs-downstairs-1970s-cast.jpg

Last edited:

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
I think it has already been and gone on US TV, but we (for some mad reason) only just got Lilyhammer. Up to episode 2 and I'm in love with the story, the location, the characters. I'm willing the villain to succeed just because he's so loveable.
More of this!

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Ivy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
In a coffee shop.
Upstairs, Downstairs on Netflix. If you like Downton Abbey, you should not miss this. 68 episodes (1971-1975). :D

Yes, I remember Upstairs Downstairs; a superb show, well scripted and acted with a meticulous attention to detail.

Downton Abbey (Season 3) has just re-started on ITV, and, as it happens, for the second year in a row, I am in a strange part of the world, and thus, cannot see it just now. However, I expect to be back home by mid October, so should be able to catch some of the later episodes.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Yes, I remember Upstairs Downstairs; a superb show, well scripted and acted with a meticulous attention to detail.

Downton Abbey (Season 3) has just re-started on ITV, and, as it happens, for the second year in a row, I am in a strange part of the world, and thus, cannot see it just now. However, I expect to be back home by mid October, so should be able to catch some of the later episodes.

Safe journeys! :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.