Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thomthoms3

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 11, 2012
Hey all, fairly new to these forums. I had an issue that I thought I could get some help with. I registered my UDID with Apple today and downloaded iOS 6 Beta 1. And yes, I updated my iTunes to 10.6.3 as well. So when I tried to Option+Click the Restore button, I selected the Beta .ipsw and began restoring. About halfway through the restore process, iTunes came back with an error: "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (14)". I've seen this error before with updating to 5.1.1, but to solve it previously, I just restored on a different computer. Unfortuantly, I tried the beta restore on 3 different macs and a PC, and still error 14 occured. Please help, I always enjoyed having iOS betas on my iPhone, and hope to use iOS 6 as well. Thanks!

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
Hey all, fairly new to these forums. I had an issue that I thought I could get some help with. I registered my UDID with Apple today and downloaded iOS 6 Beta 1. And yes, I updated my iTunes to 10.6.3 as well. So when I tried to Option+Click the Restore button, I selected the Beta .ipsw and began restoring. About halfway through the restore process, iTunes came back with an error: "The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occured (14)". I've seen this error before with updating to 5.1.1, but to solve it previously, I just restored on a different computer. Unfortuantly, I tried the beta restore on 3 different macs and a PC, and still error 14 occured. Please help, I always enjoyed having iOS betas on my iPhone, and hope to use iOS 6 as well. Thanks!

From Apple's support pages:

http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3694?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US#error14

Error 13, 14, 35 and 50 (or -50)
These errors are typically resolved by performing one or more of the steps listed below:
Perform USB isolation troubleshooting, including trying a different USB port directly on the computer. See the advanced steps below for USB troubleshooting.
Put a USB 2.0 hub between the device and the computer.
Try a different USB 30-pin dock-connector cable.
Eliminate third-party security software conflicts.
There may be third-party software installed that modifies your default packet size in Windows by inserting one or more TcpWindowSize entries into your registry. Your default packet size being set incorrectly can cause this error. Contact the manufacturer of the software that installed the packet-size modification for assistance. Or, follow this article by Microsoft: How to reset Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) to reset the packet size back to the default for Windows.
Connect your computer directly to your Internet source, bypassing any routers, hubs, or switches. You may need to restart your computer and modem to get online.
Try to restore from another known-good computer and network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.