Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Claudia

macrumors member
Original poster
Hello everyone!

Today I was writing a paper for my class, and as it so happens, my notes were jotted down using a mechanical lead pencil. After four hours of paper writing I got up to take a break. When I returned to my work station, I found my laptop looking GRAY ALL OVER! I take much pride in how i treat my laptop, it's been immaculate since the day I purchased it. So this was a shock for me, even the track pad is gray :( I grabbed a soft moist cloth to wipe away the lead residue. Unfortunately, NONE of it went away, it is a STAIN. I was wondering if any of you wonderful people had any tips on how to remove this disgusting lead stain from my beloved computer, its on the keys, its on the everything including the track pad (i'm a geek, i LOVE my computer, but so do you :) I imagine there is no way to clean my trackpad right?

Thanks everyone and remember wash your hands if you pick you a piece of paper ladened in lead!

Claudia

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
A soft cloth with just a little bit of alcohol should do the trick. I would dilute like 2 capfuls of alcohol in a cup of water and not saturate the cloth too much. Be very careful when cleaning the trackpad so you don't get liquid too close to the edges. HTH.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Or try some window cleaner sprayed onto a cloth that wont pith. I usually give my iBook a good rub down with said chemical every few months. She loves it. :)

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
sockeatingdryer said:
Will these methods work with the iPod as well, I wonder?

The iPod is chrome which can technically be cleaned by window cleaner (slightly ironic, anyway...) but the scratches wont come off. I haven't found a foolproof way of doing that yet. :(

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
there's this awesome stuff called iKlear. It's a cleaner specifically designed for computers and LCDs yada, yada, yada.
I LOVE That stuff! It works really well! It makes everything look shiny and new. :D

I've never gotten anything like that on either my iBook or Powerbook, and I hope yours cleans up! :D

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
mad jew said:
The iPod is chrome which can technically be cleaned by window cleaner (slightly ironic, anyway...) but the scratches wont come off. I haven't found a foolproof way of doing that yet. :(
Mad jew,

If you want to get rid of the scratches on the iPod, you could always try toothpaste. As long as you don't have huge scratches, and don't make a mess with the toothpaste, you'll be OK.

NOTE - I have never tried this, nor do I take responsibility if your iPod gets damaged. Try it out on your bathroom chrome fixtures first for a quick, dirty test.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
ftaok said:
Mad jew,

If you want to get rid of the scratches on the iPod, you could always try toothpaste. As long as you don't have huge scratches, and don't make a mess with the toothpaste, you'll be OK.

NOTE - I have never tried this, nor do I take responsibility if your iPod gets damaged. Try it out on your bathroom chrome fixtures first for a quick, dirty test.

Thanks for that, I'll give it a try. Of course, it'll get scratched pretty quickly again. As soon as I put those little white buds in, I seem to come over all action-man - death to a clean iPod. :(

katie ta achoo

Blogger emeritus
May 2, 2005
Uma888 said:
try some aftershave. spray a bit on a clot and wipe slowly. it gets rid of grease marks aswell, it also removes permanent marker

That permanent marker comment made me get a horrible image in my mind of a toddler, a sharpie, and my Powerbook/iPod/Camera.

*shudder*

Couldn't you do the same with straight rubbing alcohol? That's what aftershave is made mostly out of... ?

leekohler

macrumors G5
Dec 22, 2004
Chicago, Illinois
katie ta achoo said:
there's this awesome stuff called iKlear. It's a cleaner specifically designed for computers and LCDs yada, yada, yada.
I LOVE That stuff! It works really well! It makes everything look shiny and new. :D

I've never gotten anything like that on either my iBook or Powerbook, and I hope yours cleans up! :D

I use this stuff too. It's great! It should get all that off. I used it to remove a pencil mark my Mom got on the screen when I was home for a visit. Took it right off.

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
In reply to everyone who's suggesting alcohols...

I wouldn't use any alcohol (or alcohol based) liquids on the LCD screen itself. On the case and shell, OK. The best thing to use on the screen is a soft, damp, clean cloth. I wouldn't even use Windex.

Also, there are some cleaning stuff specifically designed for LCD screens. Kleenpak or something like that.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
ftaok said:
I wouldn't even use Windex.

I've been using Windex on my iBook for over eighteen months now and I haven't had any problems. Windex should be fine if ever you run out of iKlear and are desperate to make it spic and span. ;)

puckhead193

macrumors G3
May 25, 2004
NY
CubaTBird said:
MR CLEAN'S MAGIC ERASER.... nuff' said

I used that to clean the white paint of my blue car when i hit one of those big poles in a parking garage. It got the white part but took the blue with it so i now have black spots on my car :eek: :mad:

I use ikear on every part of my PB including the trackpad. i spray it on the cloth and then wipe in a circulur motion. then I take a dry part of the cloth to dry.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
mad jew said:
I've been using Windex on my iBook for over eighteen months now and I haven't had any problems. Windex should be fine if ever you run out of iKlear and are desperate to make it spic and span. ;)

I second that..

I use windex to clean everything from Carpet, to well.. windows.

The nice thing about windex, is it dosen't leave a film behind for other things to stick to!!

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
840quadra said:
I use windex to clean everything from Carpet...

OK, come on 840quadra, explain yourself. How the hell do you use Windex to clean carpet?

I'm sorry, but that's one of the funniest mental images of the day. :D

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
mad jew said:
OK, come on 840quadra, explain yourself. How the hell do you use Windex to clean carpet?

I'm sorry, but that's one of the funniest mental images of the day. :D

LOL,

Well I am an ex full time professional auto detailer for a Dealership that took in cars for local and national Auto show events. Windex was a great chemical to clean the carpet and seats of the interiors of cars with cloth interior. It was better then many commercial cleaners for small spots, and for a simple once over of the cloth areas.

What you needed to do was use windex to spot treat, then follow up with warm water, then vacuum up with a powerful vacuum cleaner. Windex leaves no residue like most carpet cleaners, and will not attract dirt later. The best to use was the clear formula.

sounds strange, but try it next time you spill coffee on your car seat, or carpet!
icon14.gif

Claudia

macrumors member
Original poster
puckhead193 said:
I used that to clean the white paint of my blue car when i hit one of those big poles in a parking garage. It got the white part but took the blue with it so i now have black spots on my car :eek: :mad:

I use ikear on every part of my PB including the trackpad. i spray it on the cloth and then wipe in a circulur motion. then I take a dry part of the cloth to dry.

I'm so glad you mentioned that, becuase, i was VERY tempted to clean my track pad but was scared to damage it. But I'll go do that now, yay it will no longer be beige!

Thanks again you guys!

Hemingray

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2002
Ha ha haaa!
I just got through cleaning my iBook G4 for the first time.

I didn't have any of the above mentioned products, so I decided to try Formula 409 All Purpose Cleaner, and it worked great! Add another one to the list.

Claudia

macrumors member
Original poster
Hemingray said:
I just got through cleaning my iBook G4 for the first time.

I didn't have any of the above mentioned products, so I decided to try Formula 409 All Purpose Cleaner, and it worked great! Add another one to the list.

hehehe, thanks so much for the tip! i love this community.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.