Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
"There will be a new design of the iMac in 2013." An update like the MBA and MBP is still likely to come this year. No reason not update the iMac (and Mac mini), if you look at them, the new processors (and motherboards with USB 3) seem like a pretty straight drop-in.
Ivy Bridge drops into LGA 1155 and the Intel 7 Series PCH is pin-compatible. It takes pennies (for Apple) of R&D just to drop this in and give us USB 3.0 support.

I was going to get a Sandy Bridge notebook model refurbished but I am going to wait for the Ivy Bridge ones just to get USB 3.0 standard! Maybe in 2-3 months.

Shane1905

macrumors regular
May 21, 2012
UK
Now don't take this the wrong way, as I'm pretty p****ed off that I've waited for the iMac update since deciding back in december that I wanted to leave windows (march wasn't to far away...) but if this statement is true and we have to wait another year for an update I'm just going to give up waiting for now and get the current model. Good idea or not? And also since it now appears to be in the middle of its life and not at the end the recommendation should be changed to 'Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle' just like the mac pro was changed back to Don't Buy...

Stiksi

macrumors 6502
Dec 7, 2007
"You are very important to us, so we will take care of your needs right after we've done everything else."

Ok then.

LWX

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2010
London
Identical to the Pogue article then, also the name's not cited. Hardly doubling down on secrecy and would be nice, if true. Will gauge the rumour mill around Xmas holidays when I'm in the market to replace my 2008 Aluminium MacBook.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Sorry why trust Apple if you are a pro at this point. The lack of a real update for so long to the mac Pro should speak volumes.

mrxak

macrumors 68000
Here's hoping January 1st, not June something.

While I still don't understand the reasons behind no new update today using Sandy Bridge, at least Apple has removed the "New" tag and a spokesperson has clarified (as much as Apple ever does) that new Mac Pros will someday arrive.

My guess is my email to Tim Cook wasn't the only one in the last 24 hours asking for official clarification on the future of the Mac Pro.

Last edited:

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Now don't take this the wrong way, as I'm pretty p****ed off that I've waited for the iMac update since deciding back in december that I wanted to leave windows (march wasn't to far away...) but if this statement is true and we have to wait another year for an update I'm just going to give up waiting for now and get the current model. Good idea or not? And also since it now appears to be in the middle of its life and not at the end the recommendation should be changed to 'Buy only if you need it - Approaching the end of a cycle' just like the mac pro was changed back to Don't Buy...

Word of advice. If you are waiting on the next big thing in the computing world you will always be waiting as the next big thing is always coming

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
Didn't Tim Cook say Apple was doubling down on secrecy under him?

I'm fairly certain that Apple would have remained silent under Jobs.

I guess the idea is to hold onto upset pros. If Apple says nothing, pros might settle for a new machine from someone else later this year. If they know to expect something early next year, then they'll know to wait.

SvK

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2005
San Diego
The best news about this is that we (pro community) and our collective disappointment was heard by Apple and acted upon.

Michael Scrip

macrumors 604
Mar 4, 2011
NC
Are there any benchmarks on these new Mac Pros yet? Are they at least a little faster than the old ones?

I understand people are pissed about the lack of USB3 and Thunderbolt... and the lackluster video card... but are they "good enough" ?

Or would it have been better to not release anything at all? Somehow I think that would have been worse...

jazzbo

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2008
Bangor, ME
So much for doubling down on secrecy.

Yeah really.

I wonder if this signals a general shift towards trying to be super secret on the high profile items (iPhones, super-slim retina laptops) while taking a more traditional tact as far as pre-announcing updates for the less flashy lines.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
What an odd thing for them to confirm. I don't think the backlash was bad enough to warrant acknowledgment of distant product releases.

JCox

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Best Mac Around

Glad to know that even after 3 years, I have nearly the BEST that Cupertino can offer.

Kalach

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2011
Kind of glad that the imac is holding off for another year! Not so much about the mac pro... It really needed a refresh this year...

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Are you guys seriously buying this?

Some one vaguely tells a "reporter" about a 'possible' redesign and you give it credit? For something that is over a year off.

What happens if there is a delay in required parts? GPU or CPU delays? Apple giving info on something they cannot be sure will even be ready on time is complete rubbish.

HelveticaRoman

macrumors 6502
Jun 28, 2011
Look forward to the new MacPro X, with most of the functionality missing, at least for a few years or so. Cynicism aside (it is getting increasingly hard not to be with Apple these days if you're desktop bound) it was decent of them to finally make a statement at least. Whether or not they actually honour it is another story.

theSeb

macrumors 604
Aug 10, 2010
none
Didn't Tim Cook say Apple was doubling down on secrecy under him?

I'm fairly certain that Apple would have remained silent under Jobs.

I guess the idea is to hold onto upset pros. If Apple says nothing, pros might settle for a new machine from someone else later this year. If they know to expect something early next year, then they'll know to wait.

There is secrecy and there is being an ***hole. Apple decided not to do both after the backlash.

Liquinn

Suspended
Apr 10, 2011
Look forward to the new MacPro X, with most of the functionality missing, at least for a few years or so. Cynicism aside (it is getting increasingly hard not to be with Apple these days if you're desktop bound) it was decent of them to finally make a statement at least. Whether or not they actually honour it is another story.
I guess what they say and actually do are two different things.

eyebex

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2012

Yes, the Buyer's guide tool is very weak. Unless one realizes that the recommendations are based solely on average number of days between past releases it can be VERY misleading.

I8P'CS

Suspended
Jul 29, 2010
Great news will chug along with my 2011 iMac and upgrade on new design, glad i bought in feb. See you in 2013.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.