Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MagnaPalam

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2005
Houston, TX
slows my safari, and whole computer for that much

safari took 88% of cpu while on that page...after loaded!

safari 2.0, pbg4 1.5, tiger

actripxl

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2002
Chicago, IL
Glad to hear im not the only one with this problem, I guess untill it gets fixed I'll just have to use Camino.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
Part of the problem is that POS site has a bajillion moving/changing icons. It's like attack of the 1994 dancing baby HTML all over again.

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Looks like Safari gets REALLY memory hungry when there are animated gifs involved and that site has a LOT of them, my virtual memory for Safari was around 290MB before visiting that site and when I opened it in a tab it's virtual memory usage jumped up to just over 1GB. :eek:

That would be why it slows down for some but not others, those like me who have 2GB in their Powerbook wouldn't notice a problem but those with less would get quite a bit of slowdown as disk swapping comes into play.

After G

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2003
California
Safari does like to use a lot of memory. Even with the 1.25 GB of memory I have, Safari slows down sometimes. Maybe resetting Safari would help (it does for me).

swheeler

macrumors member
May 30, 2005
I got minor slowdown on that page with 1.5 gigs on a G5.

I've noticed similar problems on other pages with lots of animation.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
If you're seeing a general slowdown in Safari (lots of beach balls) it's often time for a bit of general maintenance. I'm not sure if it's permissions rot or cache issues, but AppleJack has always fixed it for me.

I recommend this thing so often I'm beginning to feel like a shill (or the author, which I'm not), but the fact is it really works.

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2005
UK
IJ Reilly said:
If you're seeing a general slowdown in Safari (lots of beach balls) it's often time for a bit of general maintenance. I'm not sure if it's permissions rot or cache issues, but AppleJack has always fixed it for me.

I recommend this thing so often I'm beginning to feel like a shill (or the author, which I'm not), but the fact is it really works.

Hello i've just installed applejack to optimise my machine. Can someone tell me how it works? I cant seem to find the icon to click on? Am i missing something here? Thanks

JW8725

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2005
UK
Peterkro said:
Read the readme you need to restart in single user mode and type applejack auto(or AUTO) at the prompt.

Hello sorry but im a switcher. How does one start in single user mode and where is the prompt? can i use terminal?

Ta

jaseone

macrumors 65816
Nov 7, 2004
Houston, USA
Hmmm I swear I replied to this earlier and that there was other posts as well that are no longer here, has some mod just been deleting posts or what?

Although I've noticed a lot of general weirdness going on in these forums lately, especially surrounding Last Posts not being correct, it is like messages are just disappearing...

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
jaseone said:
Although I've noticed a lot of general weirdness going on in these forums lately, especially surrounding Last Posts not being correct, it is like messages are just disappearing...

You did post to this thread. Post #9.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/1502139/

If you're talking about the contents of the post you get in email and then go to the thread and you see a different post, the email tells you what's up:

There may be other replies also, but you will not receive any more notifications until you visit the forum again.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
rossoUK said:
when i use applejack my keyboard doesnt work! Its a new bluetooth one. Please help

Don't use AppleJack? Sounds like it's cleaning out whatever files are storing your BT info.

ATRAX

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2005
Safari is sometimes soo slow for me it's painful, like right now. I just did an erase and install a week ago so I'm not sure what could be causing this?

Most of the time it's quick as heck loading pages in a second or two.

Gonna try Firefox for a while and see what happens.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.