Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Will you buy a smart cover if Smart case is available?

• Yes.. still prefers smart cover

Votes: 67 43.2%
  • Will buy smart case for sure

Votes: 63 40.6%
  • Neither of them...

Votes: 25 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
It doesn't look very durable in the few shots of it I have seen. If it is made from a material similar to the smart cover, I expect to see it start wearing out in a couple of months. :confused:

Nhwhazup

macrumors 68040
Sep 2, 2010
New Hampshire
I would have bought this Smart case if I han't already shopped through over 15 cases in the last few months. I like everything about the new case but just can't justify buying another when I have 4 perfectly great cases at home now.

glen e

macrumors 68030
Jun 19, 2010
Ft Lauderdale
It doesn't look very durable in the few shots of it I have seen. If it is made from a material similar to the smart cover, I expect to see it start wearing out in a couple of months. :confused:

I have smartcovers over a year and a half old, no wear...

Still like detaching the cover sometimes....

b3thomso

macrumors member
May 20, 2012
Im think im gonna stick with the smart cover and speck smartshell. The magnet on the back is a deal breaker for me since i use it in the airplane and dont need to the smart cover dangling around. Its more annoying than you think....

oneapplegeek

macrumors regular
May 14, 2012
I would buy a smart cover since many third party cases are released to be compatible with smart cover. but, I was disappointed at the Smart case.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
My smart case just came in. I'm going to keep it for a week to make a thorough review, but I really hate this case. It's mushy on every side, and incredibly awkward to hold.

The viewing stand position is incredibly wobbly, and the typing position is much lower and more uncomfortable.

The smartcover is a much, much better than the smart case. My back never really got scratched anyway.

If you want scratch protection, get a smart cover and a sleeve. I couldn't reccomemd this case to anyone.

i0Nic

macrumors 65816
May 17, 2006
Sydney, Australia
I bought the Smart Case and it's terrible.

The iPad 1 case, with all it's faults, at least felt like it was a part of the iPad with a tight fit.

The Smart Case is loose, the bezel design makes the screen look comically small, the material doesn't feel good when held in hand, the seams on the edges cut into your hand, and the cover implementation suffers due to the weak hinge.

I wanted to like this case because I love the smart cover but wanted some back protection, but this is not the case I was looking for.

I will keep using the smart cover instead, I'd rather the back get scratched up a little than cover it in this case.

courboy

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2009
I have a smart cover and because my Griffin snap shield literally "snapped", I decided this would be a great balance.

Purchased the dark grey one from the Regent Street store in London (why no leather ones?!) and at first glance, I was very pleased. However, after getting it home, I realised that the fit is VERY lose.

This is to the point where I can see the edge of the iPad around up to the border of the case. Is this the norm? I'm contemplating replacing it and hoping that the next one is a better fit, but I fear this might be a common theme.

So close to my perfect case apart from those faults. I happily admit i'm a bit of an Apple Fan and have never been unhappy with any of their products except for this one.

I'm now looking at the Kavaj Leather case, which looks a bargain and apparently the quality is good: http://www.amazon.co.uk/KAVAJ-leath...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1339348098&sr=1-1

TheMacBookPro

macrumors 68020
May 9, 2008
Im think im gonna stick with the smart cover and speck smartshell. The magnet on the back is a deal breaker for me since i use it in the airplane and dont need to the smart cover dangling around. Its more annoying than you think....

I initially thought that too, but I've figured out a pretty decent solution: you know those flip out PTVs (or the ones that come out of the armrest)? Just rest the smart cover cover the top of it. Works surprisingly well and the magnet is just strong enough to keep the iPad from falling off. Don't tug on it though.

JonMPLS

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
MN
I know it's more expensive, but I still fall back on the Smart Cover/Smart Feather combination as my favorite day to day case. I like the mounting system of the Incipio Smart Feather better than the new Smart Cover.

Atomant669

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2011
I don't like anything 'smart'. I don't see why the need for a cover that is meant to protect the screen folds out exposing the insides to dirt and elements and scratches the screen when closed shut. JMHO of course.

I stick to my Belkin Cinema Folio.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I don't like anything 'smart'. I don't see why the need for a cover that is meant to protect the screen folds out exposing the insides to dirt and elements and scratches the screen when closed shut. JMHO of course.

I stick to my Belkin Cinema Folio.

Get a screen protetor for a buck on eBay and you can still enjoy the style, wake-sleep, and stand functionality of the Smart Cover or Smart Case. Problem solved.

Seamaster

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2003
Purchased the dark grey one from the Regent Street store in London (why no leather ones?!) and at first glance, I was very pleased. However, after getting it home, I realised that the fit is VERY lose. This is to the point where I can see the edge of the iPad around up to the border of the case. Is this the norm? I'm contemplating replacing it and hoping that the next one is a better fit, but I fear this might be a common theme.

They're all like that.

-TYLER

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
I have a smart cover and because my Griffin snap shield literally "snapped", I decided this would be a great balance.

Purchased the dark grey one from the Regent Street store in London (why no leather ones?!) and at first glance, I was very pleased. However, after getting it home, I realised that the fit is VERY lose.

This is to the point where I can see the edge of the iPad around up to the border of the case. Is this the norm? I'm contemplating replacing it and hoping that the next one is a better fit, but I fear this might be a common theme.

So close to my perfect case apart from those faults. I happily admit i'm a bit of an Apple Fan and have never been unhappy with any of their products except for this one.

I'm now looking at the Kavaj Leather case, which looks a bargain and apparently the quality is good: http://www.amazon.co.uk/KAVAJ-leath...1_1?s=computers&ie=UTF8&qid=1339348098&sr=1-1
The only thing with that case is that is looks like it will wobble or bounce when you have it in the typing position and type.

Check out the casecrown omni carbon fiber case, I love mine.

Redjericho

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2011
If apple made the case out of the same quality and material of the cover, the price would be in the 80-100$ range, not many people wanna pay that.

appleguy123

macrumors 604
Apr 1, 2009
15 minutes in the future
If apple made the case out of the same quality and material of the cover, the price would be in the 80-100$ range, not many people wanna pay that.

Do you have this case? The ergonomics are inexcusable, if apple couldn't make a piece of polyurethane that works well for under $80, it should have been made. This is the first time that I've been totally disappointed with an Apple product.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.