Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Flitzy

Oct 20, 2010
I honestly liked it - I was able to follow a number of artists who posted a number of interesting things... I can understand that it's not for everyone, though.

I wouldn't mind Last.fm integration, though!

darklyt

macrumors regular
Jun 5, 2007
Apple doesn't really need to build something that calls itself a social network. The new photo stream features plus iMessage, Facetime, and Game center put Apple right into the realm of social networking - all without an open declaration. I think that Facebook and Twitter may actually have to worry the most about Apple in the long-term if these things continue to mature.

moderngamenewb

macrumors 6502
Jul 20, 2011
Maybe they should do something like Spotify, when you're listening to a song it shows up in the sidebar ticker thing...then people could click it to preview the song and maybe buy it.

And when you buy an album it shows up on your timeline etc.

I was thinking that too.

TsMkLg068426

macrumors 65816
Mar 31, 2009
What a useless future that never got updated and now they finally decide to remove it, thank goodness one less pointless thing on iTunes.;)

tech4all

macrumors 68040
Jun 13, 2004
NorCal
R.I.P. Ping, you will be greatly missed by the ten or so people that used you.

Love your sig :D

God I would love it if they removed everything except basic mp3 playback and a library.

iTunes is bloatware, its packed with so much crap that so many people have no use for. I myself dont own an iPod or an iPhone or an iPad nor do I use the music store. I never use the video capabilities because VLC is far superior. RAM and CPU usage gets pretty bad especially if you have a 200+ gb library (mine is 315gb). It boggles the mind as to why iTunes even has such a name when iMedia is far more fitting.

For now, I'll continue using Vox and Enqueue Both apps are much smaller with Vox using no more than 15mb of RAM.

So since you don't, others don't neither? :rolleyes:

I just checked out Ping for the first time in forever, and I noticed that almost every update was syndicated from Twitter. The last update directly through Ping was almost two months old, and it was about a re-release on iTunes. If I want to see an artist's Twitter feed, I can use ... well, Twitter!

Ping wasn't a bad idea, but it didn't catch on. Every company, even Apple, has initiatives that don't catch on. I figure it's because Ping doesn't do anything you can't already do with other social networks, and does a lot less (i.e. all you can do is follow music artists). And people will only keep up with so-and-so many social networks. especially when so few other people use them. Goodbye, Ping. We hardly knew ye.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
What I did like about this is that different artists created pages so you could follow them and see when they released new stuff. But, I think you can already do that on straight iTunes?

Nope that was all part of Ping. It was part of why they wanted to do it, to hopefully generate more sales.

Ping could be useful of they were to put some effort into it. And open it up for more than the big name folks. But if they aren't willing to put in some effort then yes they should stop pretending.

More than doing anything with Ping they need to seriously work on their metadata. Especially the artist links. major names are missing from the movies so they don't show in searches, You don't see cross references to other media like tv shows, music etc. Sometimes you don't even see them in all the movies they are in even when they are listed because the names aren't entered the same way every time. They need a name authority like libraries have for consistency and they need the data in all formats as appropriate. Also they need to have the ability to filter searches by artist, title etc so when I search for "Alice" looking for the Syfy miniseries I don't get every movie and tv show/episode with Alice in the title and every listed actress etc with Alice in her name, Alice in Chains etc. Partner up with IMDB or something.

And then fix the cross references so I don't get stuff like the soundtrack to Avatar the movie showing up on the pages for the Avatar the Last Airbender tv show (as its soundtrack)

----------

Apple doesn't really need to build something that calls itself a social network. The new photo stream features plus iMessage, Facetime, and Game center put Apple right into the realm of social networking - all without an open declaration. I think that Facebook and Twitter may actually have to worry the most about Apple in the long-term if these things continue to mature.

Actually there are some folks that would love it if you could create your own homepage online (say with your iCloud account) that would have your game center stats, ping comments/itunes reviews, your Journals and when it happens your public streams all in one big home page. Perhaps even widgets for showing your Facebook/Twitter updates.

Not a network but still social.

Soy Cowboy

macrumors newbie
Jun 17, 2011
It seems that some of the things Apple comes up with are just so they have something to announce. Like this and the iPod shuffle with no buttons.

powers74

macrumors 68000
Aug 18, 2008
At the bend in the river
RIP

Could have been great.

----------

Actually there are some folks that would love it if you could create your own homepage online (say with your iCloud account) that would have your game center stats, ping comments/itunes reviews, your Journals and when it happens your public streams all in one big home page. Perhaps even widgets for showing your Facebook/Twitter updates.

Not a network but still social.

and build all that **** into iWeb.

Undecided

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2005
California
I would have been into it if it included movies, so you could follow certain actors, producers, directors, key grips, etc., and find info on upcoming projects, etc.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
I wanted to like it. I would have used it more but no one else was using it. There weren't many artists. Bob Dylan (or his PR guy) posted about once and gave up.

It's a fascinating demonstration on how difficult it can be for a social network to gain traction. iTunes is huge - a total monster. Ping should have succeeded by critical mass alone. And yet it fizzled.

chairguru22

macrumors 6502a
May 31, 2006
PA
lol.........iTunes.

Seriously. I haven't launched iTunes since... October of last year. And that was only to speed up migrating from my 3GS to my 4S.

Spotify FTW

For me to resume using iTunes... I don't know what Apple would have to do to make me go back.

Of note, you haven't used your 4S since last year either...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.