Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dangerous Theory

macrumors 68000
Jul 28, 2011
UK
its things like ping and itunes that are a good reminder for those extremist apple fans that they aren't some sort of godly company. They're brilliant at some things, but clearly useless at others, and that's fine.

upthetoffees

macrumors regular
Jun 4, 2012
Maybe they should do something like Spotify, when you're listening to a song it shows up in the sidebar ticker thing...then people could click it to preview the song and maybe buy it.

And when you buy an album it shows up on your timeline etc.

Actually, maybe they should just leave us alone, for once.

Astroexe

macrumors member
Feb 19, 2012
Netherlands
Ping was aiming to do what Spotify does already, and does very well. But if iTunes as a whole [not with "Ping" or any other feature name, just built-in] had free demo sharing, a "now playing", accurate listings of artists' work, connection to actual social networks instead of trying to make it's own, it would be a winner. Like others have said, it's isolation was the reason it flopped.

The single use I get out of Spotify is to look at new music, make public playlists that friends from my Facebook feed can see, and see what else my friends are listening to. If apple created an architecture that connected all it's devices using iTunes to do the same thing.. it would kill these other apps dead.
Does iTunes even recognise when you've listened to a song on another device?

batchtaster

macrumors 65816
Mar 3, 2008
It's good to know that Apple can try new things, make mistakes and still be around tomorrow.

Some people are lambasting the service in an "AppleHipster saiz ware iz yur god naw, AppleFanbois?" kind of way, but I see it as an Apple strength. Why not give it a crack? It might catch on. If it doesn't, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try something else.

I'm glad that they're big enough now that some of these ideas that they might not otherwise have tried get to see daylight and have their turn. And that they're savvy enough to know when to cut their losses.

Last edited:

helicon1

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2012
Nope that was all part of Ping. It was part of why they wanted to do it, to hopefully generate more sales.

Ping could be useful of they were to put some effort into it. And open it up for more than the big name folks. But if they aren't willing to put in some effort then yes they should stop pretending.
----------

[/COLOR]

Actually there are some folks that would love it if you could create your own homepage online (say with your iCloud account) that would have your game center stats, ping comments/itunes reviews, your Journals and when it happens your public streams all in one big home page. Perhaps even widgets for showing your Facebook/Twitter updates.

Not a network but still social.

This is what I've been thinking. The core user functionalities of social networking are there now or will be very soon. The critical restriction the exclusivity to apple hardware or half-arsed web apps. If they ever made a deal to merge cloud networks with say Microsoft so that users could seamlessly share across platforms it could get really interesting.

If apple can slowly take control of the user experience of the data on Facebook and google they can turn those sites into dumb pipes and starve them of advertising opportunities. Say Siri could search simultaneously on multiple engines, automatically delete the ads and feed the results to the user. The do the same thing for fb etc. eg. Set up messages and a Facebook plugin to automatically relay a fb message as an iMessage, and automatically add new followed twitter content to the relevant iCloud app, whether photostream, videostream, messages,

This is already happening with flipboard etc. so far the pipe owners keep the user metadata and plan to unseat apple (Facebook phone). Apple will be well positioned to flick a switch one day to change pipe provider with minimal impact on the user.

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2004
London, England
Ping

I must have been one of the few who checked out Ping quite often. Some of my friends are on it and when I see they have bought a song or album, or if I have, we usually talk about it.

Ping could have been a lot more if Apple bothered to put some effort into it. It could have been used as a review site for everything in the store, not just music. So Apple couldn't get together with Facebook on this, but it did have Twitter on board, but so what? Anything I did on Ping didn't show up on Twitter. Ping is a very isolated social network so the likelyhood of people wanting to use it, as well as Twitter and Facebook, weren't going to be high as it wouldn't interact with other social networks.

Shepphard

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2012
Luxembourg
Ping, I just met you,
and this is crazy!
But you can go now,
no-one used you maybe!

:p

I think I used Ping once for 5 minutes or so. Apple also never really promoted it over it's existence so I think it's just fair they're phasing it out. Maybe it's just a minor feature iTunes had but it still is hard to give up on something you hoped would catch fire! So Kudos to Apple for taking the decision in killing of a feature they hoped would be more popular.

thelonelylimo

macrumors 6502
Oct 23, 2010
Ohio
i must have been one of the few who checked out ping quite often. Some of my friends are on it and when i see they have bought a song or album, or if i have, we usually talk about it.

Ping could have been a lot more if apple bothered to put some effort into it. It could have been used as a review site for everything in the store, not just music. So apple couldn't get together with facebook on this, but it did have twitter on board, but so what? Anything i did on ping didn't show up on twitter. Ping is a very isolated social network so the likelyhood of people wanting to use it, as well as twitter and facebook, weren't going to be high as it wouldn't interact with other social networks.

+1

rctlr

macrumors 6502a
May 9, 2012
I wouldn't mind Last.fm integration, though!

That would be sweet, but last.fm is owned by CBS, not sure what licensing would be involved to have it integrated. I'm sure they've considered it.

Ping I suppose could do something similar - scrobbling is or was opensource I believe.

MuppetGate

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2012
It's good to know that Apple can try new things, make mistakes and still be around tomorrow.

Some people are lambasting the service in an "AppleHipster saiz ware iz yur god naw, AppleFanbois?" kind of way, but I see it as an Apple strength. Why not give it a crack? It might catch on. If it doesn't, pick yourself up, dust yourself off and try something else.

I'm glad that they're big enough now that some of these ideas that they might not otherwise have tried get to see daylight and have their turn. And that they're savvy enough to know when to cut their losses.

Exactly. They tried, it didn't work, they dumped it. It isn't the first time they've got it wrong and it certainly won't be the last.

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009
Glad to see that Apple can easily admit this and move on. I was sure Ping would never work on the day of the announcement, people simply don't want more social-network-type-of-things, and Ping really didn't make a lot of sense.

Many other companies keep pushing their products for years despite them being unsuccessful, like Microsoft still hasn't given up with Windows, after all these years… Just kidding.

Last edited:

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I remember when I tried Ping briefly a few months ago. As a fan of heavy music, I was disgusted to find Justin Bieber and Katy Perry in the "Artists we recommend you follow".

It was very much a "Piss off, Ping" moment from then.

You're probably a closet Bieber fan, and Ping was just outing you. :D

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
It was a cute idea and worth trying out but it never really went anywhere. The right thing to do is simply admit it wasn't a great idea and move on rather than letting it languish. Good call by Apple. If only MySpace had done the same thing.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
This is indeed a good move. Unfortunately, too late for me. I've since switched to another media player. iTunes as it stands is far too bloated, buggy and slow. Especially on my Windows machines.

Keebler

macrumors 68030
Jun 20, 2005
Canada
What is Ping?

:eek:

j/kg. glad to see it removed. i never quite understood the need and I can see why it didn't work. good they are not trying to leave it in in hopes it works.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.