Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reaktor5

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
... and force all your friends to upgrade as well? Facetime makes even less sense when only 50% of your friends own an iPhone and only 50% of those have the iPhone 4S/5. Why wouldn't Apple allow this on all iOS 6 devices? This and a stable voice-only option could finally make normal costly phone calls expendable.

Battery concerns maybe?

FaceTime is a novelty for me, I used it once when I first got my iPhone 4 two years ago and haven't launched it since.

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
My iPhone 4 is actually faster than it was on iOS 5. I'm actually nicely surprised.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
Apple really wants iOS 6 to be a major fail. I can't upgrade my iPhone 4 until 2014, even though I got an iPhone 4 in August and had it delivered early September 2010. So don't tell me to just upgrade to the latest iPhone when my carrier won't let me.

dreadnort

macrumors regular
Jun 12, 2012
Iphone 4 and ios6

my 2pence worth

i'm finding it slower than 5.1.1,
maps is no better infact alot worst than google maps both of which rely on 3g navfree is a far better option and does not need to download the maps as you move.
the signal drops out where 5.1.1 was more stable.
i cant comment on the battery as it's only been running since last night
forget siri altogether it's still not support fully outside the US
passbook has no apps available for it so renders than useless currently
Facebook and twitter intergration is good if you use these, makes adding photos a doddle.
reply with message is a good little feature
most of the other features now introduced will only work with 4s and new Ipad

dj95

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
Thanks for all the responses guys, after seeing various reports on the performance it looks like it runs at least the same as iOS 5 if not smoother in certain cases. Can't wait to see if the final release is still like that though ;)

Fuzzy.Dunlop

macrumors regular
Jan 12, 2010
London
What a pile of crap if FaceTime over 3G won't work, as someone said about the (original) iPad and IOS6, less than a year ago the iPhone4 was the top of the range phone

Pathetic if it turns out to be true and shows the way Apple are going now they're top dog

beestigbeestje

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Belgium
Performance

feels super sluggish to me for the moment, but we'll see how things go. It's still much too early to make these comparisons.

Very slow to open camera app.
Music app is unusable buggy sometimes.

iOS 5 felt slow too.
iOS 4 was fast. Oh, how do I miss the good old days..

dj95

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 25, 2011
Cheers! Can anyone clarify on battery life differences? Seems so far that it is again the same to better? Thanks :)

liquidsuns

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2009
Beta 1 didn't run so well on it. Upwards of twenty second freezes when launching just about anything. Beta 2, on the other hand, is like a totally different OS. Everything is pretty fast now, some little freezes here and there, but on par with , if not slightly faster then, iOS 5. For me anyways.

dhartung02

macrumors 6502
Sep 9, 2007
Little Rock, AR
After i found out they crippled a bunch of the cool features for iPhone 4 users, my interest in iOS6 has severely wained. I guess i will be waiting for the iPhone 5!

BHP41

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
United States of America
Apple really wants iOS 6 to be a major fail. I can't upgrade my iPhone 4 until 2014, even though I got an iPhone 4 in August and had it delivered early September 2010. So don't tell me to just upgrade to the latest iPhone when my carrier won't let me.

Not sure why everyone is upset at upgrading. With every new iPhone release there are people looking to upgrade to a used iPhone or from a early model iPhone. Sell you 4, cough up roughly the same as a upgrade, maybe a $100 more and you have a new phone.

----------

What a pile of crap if FaceTime over 3G won't work, as someone said about the (original) iPad and IOS6, less than a year ago the iPhone4 was the top of the range phone

Pathetic if it turns out to be true and shows the way Apple are going now they're top dog

I agree with not having FaceTime over 3G work with the 4. It came out with the 4 so any improvements to it should be available on the 4. There is absolutely no reason it shouldn't be on there. I'll be upgrading this year but a few of my friends will still be on the 4. Sad really. A few hundred thousand emails to T.Cook might help.

CallOfDuty

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
Any updates now that Beta 3 is out now guys??

Can't wait for some answers too. I have an iPhone 4 and I just can't stop but wonder how iOS 6 really works on my 2 years old device :eek: . I've had my own thread of course, but it just doesn't give me satisfying answers although with the help of some helpful forumers.
It makes me wonder why is there no video comparison of the performance in iOS 6 specifically on the iPhone 4 or even the 3GS- after all these devices are soon to become legacy devices.

njaremka

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2010
Beta 1 just plain sucked, and made me go back to iOS 5. Beta 2 was actually usable, and Beta 3 seems to be working at least as good as 2.

pk7

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2011
It makes me wonder why is there no video comparison of the performance in iOS 6 specifically on the iPhone 4 or even the 3GS

Coming sometime in the next few weeks :) as soon as I get beta 3 up and running on my old iPhone 3GS. I wish I had an iPhone 4 to compare it with though. My dad has one but probably won't let me put beta software on his primary phone. I'm thinking of doing an iPhone 4 vs. iPhone 3GS on iOS 5 video for now, and then a video showing off iOS 6 solely on the iPhone 3GS sometime in the coming weeks. Hopefully people will find one or both of those videos interesting.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
I just got Beta 3 up and running on my iPhone 4. In terms of performance, it definitely still feels beta and there's some slight jerkiness in a lot of the animations and occasional speed hiccups, but it's perfectly usable. Some parts actually feel faster, though, like the share menus and Safari. Honestly I'm digging the graphical changes in iOS 6, the UI looks far cleaner and more modern. Say what you will about Apple Maps vs. Google Maps, but the Maps application on iOS 6 is vastly superior to that of iOS 5, just from a UI standpoint. Hope this helps.

Edit:

So after syncing and downloading updates the whole software experience feels pretty snappy, it's a pleasant surprise.

Last edited:

fortheus

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2012
FaceTime over 3g is meant to work on the 4 upwards
remember it will come down to the phone carriers

I don't think they ever said facetime over 3G. They said facetime over CELLULAR, and by then it means only for iphone 4S onwards as it is not regular using regular 3G chip like iphone 3G/3GS/4

alan7467

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2011
Beta 2 brought major performance issues to my iPhone 4. Made the phone almost unusable.

Beta 3 on the other hand is running fast and smooth for me. Faster in fact than iOS 5 ever did. There still are bugs (I've had various apps freeze my phone requiring a hard restart), but I like it overall. Now I'm just hoping the next betas don't turn back the clock.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.