Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nonameowns

macrumors regular
Apr 24, 2010
compare d3 at native resolution with max setting with AA on to half the resolution with max setting without AA. I wanna know if the high pixel density would smooth out the jaggies without using AA.

ninja2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
Ans the MacRumors Genius of the day is...

ninja2000!

Installing now...

Haha thanks! That is great news. Now you can get back to the testing, you are in popular demand today :)

BTW, I meant to ask. What res are you running in windows and how does it look?

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
It rebooted at full resolution. Totally tiny text. Gotta mess with the dpi settings.

nars1l

macrumors newbie
Apr 26, 2012
compare d3 at native resolution with max setting with AA on to half the resolution with max setting without AA. I wanna know if the high pixel density would smooth out the jaggies without using AA.

You mean, d3 at 2880x1800 *without* AA compared to d3 at 1440x900 *with* AA

Maven1975

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 24, 2008
Hello Everyone.

I have good news for a few of you out there, but some bad for the majority.

We only just now got the drivers up and running "Thanks to ninja2000"

I need to rest, but will get on the videos and full report tomorrow.

The good news is that I could not help but test two games at full resolution and high settings.

MW3 and Street Fighter x Tekken work at native resolution with little compromise. Actually, they benched about 10fps better than my 2011 HiRes.

Fans never got terribly loud. Although, I did notice the heat from the keys more when playing MW3.

I will get into all this in the video.

Tomorrow..

Diablo 3
BF3
Alan Wake
MW3
Star Craft 2
Rage
GTA IV

Its gonna be fun!

Did I mention this display is amazing? Unfortunately, its so good we will need privacy filters :/

Have a great morning everyone!

TheHoff

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Let me tell you something. My MacBook Pro early 2011 2.2GHZ with 6mb of L3 "Cash" is not able to play my Red 4K footage at 1/4 resolution yet my office Macbook Pro 2.3GHZ with 8Mb "Cash" is doing it without hiccups. In my case it's worth it.

And both had the same amount of RAM, same HDD or SSD, and a clean install of OSX? I bet not.

I think we're being trolled. How can someone think that 2MB of processor cache is making the difference between a machine playing back 4K video files smoothly or not?

ninja2000

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2010
Well done Maven, have a well deserved rest! Looking forward to your benchmarks later when you are up again!

I know BF3 will never play at 1800p so could you let us know how it looks at 900p? This is my main concern and the heat whilst gaming with bf3 (as my 2011 HR gets stupidly hot with fans at 6200 whilst playing bf3 at gpu clocks800/900

Thanks

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
Ok, so this is a good laptop (sans the lag).

I'm sold.

Only question:

3k+? :eek:

probably will throw for that. Will need a shrink though.....oh wait they cost money...

nevermind. :eek:

Lord Flashheart

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2007
Cardiff by the Sea, CA
Do you have World of Warcraft? If not, you can download free demo. If you have it, how does it handle Native res? How does it look at the different scaled res? How much fps do you get at different res and how hot does it get?

Thanks

Last edited:

gekoo

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2012
Tokyo
Street Fighter

Great to hear one of my favorite games works nice on the MBP. Did you btw try it out with an arcade stick? if so which one. Would be nioce to know since I'm thinking about buying a RMBP later on for having dual OS on them. Want to be able to play with my stick.

Looking forward to the movie clip

marvguitar

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2011
I think we're being trolled. How can someone think that 2MB of processor cache is making the difference between a machine playing back 4K video files smoothly or not?

You are not being trolled and the Makarena guy is totally over his head.

Yes 2MB of L3 cache does indeed make a HUGE difference in debayering CPU intensive R3D footage. Like I mentioned in my previous post this is tested on 2 MacBook Pros. 2.2GHZ 6MB L3 Cache and 2.3GHZ 8Mb L3 Cache with identical setups. Both have Crucial M4 SSDs and 16GB of Crucial RAM in Premiere PRO CS6.

Of course if you can't afford the upgrade well then you can't... You are already spending almost $2800 assuming you are getting the 2.6. What is $250 at this point? Maybe save for 1 more week and get the faster one.

EDIT: this is not just "tested", I have been working with these computers for the last year.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
Ok, so this is a good laptop (sans the lag).

I'm sold.

Only question:

3k+? :eek:

probably will throw for that. Will need a shrink though.....oh wait they cost money...

nevermind. :eek:

What's the deal with people and the price? I got my retina MBP for $1999 with student discount (21XX after tax/shipping). I'm used to paying $2300-$2500 for 15" and 17" MBPs and putting another $400-$500 into them to get an SSD and memory upgrade, so what's the big deal? Sure it's not a $1200 entry level mac, but this is a premium product, not a budget machine. It's got a lot of new technology in a very elegant package. To me, I feel like it's a pretty damn good value considering.

So, what gives?

Edit: not an attack on you or your comment Mac Jones, just more curious in general what all the hubub is about.

TheHoff

macrumors 6502
Oct 22, 2008
Of course if you can't afford the upgrade well then you can't... You are already spending almost $2800 assuming you are getting the 2.6. What is $250 at this point? Maybe save for 1 more week and get the faster one.

heh, seriously? Not many people spending $3k on the machine have a problem with another few hundred. Since the "maxed out version" in stores will be with the processor upgrade, I'm sure many people will get that one.

And since I don't work with 4K Red footage, I can't argue either way. If you're really sure that is the difference, OK. It seems crazy to me (I do come from a video post house background).

Marrakas

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2012
I'm over my head? I'm not the one doing my best to justify a $250 upgrade. And I call total BS on your 4K footage stories, as the amount of cache on your CPU will NEVER be the difference between usable or not in any application.

But please, go for the upgrade if you feel it will help you, just don't spread lies that it's a must for gaming.

Boe11

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2010
Lets see.

Retina MBP, 2.6ghz UK price in dollars: 3732.24

That's without any options. Are you used to paying that?

As I mentioned, I'm used to paying $2300+ for a macbook pro with the high res option and anti-glare, then adding a 256gb ssd and 8gb of memory myself for 300-400.

This machine is $2000, and already comes with a far superior screen, a 256ssd, and 8gb of memory.

$2000 vs $2600

So to me it's a step in the right direction.

It's just not really a fair shake to compare past (or even present) entry level 15" macbook pros to this one. It's pretty silly, as a matter of fact.

mac jones

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2006
What's the deal with people and the price? I got my retina MBP for $1999 with student discount (21XX after tax/shipping). I'm used to paying $2300-$2500 for 15" and 17" MBPs and putting another $400-$500 into them to get an SSD and memory upgrade, so what's the big deal? Sure it's not a $1200 entry level mac, but this is a premium product, not a budget machine. It's got a lot of new technology in a very elegant package. To me, I feel like it's a pretty damn good value considering.

So, what gives?

Edit: not an attack on you or your comment Mac Jones, just more curious in general what all the hubub is about.

It ain't cheap. But really, i've just got to complain about every nickel.

sorry :eek:

Meanwhile, i've only called one store ! I'm getting better?

marvguitar

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2011
And since I don't work with 4K Red footage, I can't argue either way. If you're really sure that is the difference, OK. It seems crazy to me (I do come from a video post house background).

It's crazy to me too believe me. I was in to buy a new Mac pro but after seeing the upgrade offered I decided to try this new retina mbp instead. Anyway sorry about diverting from the subject of gaming... Let's get back on track. Im sure we will see benchmarks soon as I'm probably not the only one buying the 2.7.

----------

And I call total BS on your 4K footage stories, as the amount of cache on your CPU will NEVER be the difference between usable or not in any application.

^That's what I am talking about. You're talking out of your a$$. ~Next.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
I probably speak for almost everyone when I say that we'd like to see Diablo 3 benchmarks performed in OS X instead of Windows, at 2880x1880 full screen. Command + R displays FPS on the top left. The FPS hit usually happens in Act 2 and 3, which means that if you run the test in the preview version, you won't get past level 13 which is early on in Act 1.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
I probably speak for almost everyone when I say that we'd like to see Diablo 3 benchmarks performed in OS X instead of Windows, at 2880x1880 full screen. Command + R displays FPS on the top left. The FPS hit usually happens in Act 2 and 3, which means that if you run the test in the preview version, you won't get past level 13 which is early on in Act 1.

Check out the Engadget review. Around 20-30 fps with max settings and AA off. Pretty much what everyone expected. FPS is almost doubled when running at 1/2 retina res.

definitive

macrumors 68020
Aug 4, 2008
Check out the Engadget review. Around 20-30 fps with max settings and AA off. Pretty much what everyone expected. FPS is almost doubled when running at 1/2 retina res.

I've read the review. The reason I made a post above was because the Engadget review does not mention where they played the game. Note I asked for Act 2 and 3 testing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.