Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
You must not have been in the market for a AVR lately, because every receiver you can buy has either a dedicated dock/USB Port/Air Play/ iOS APP. I will stop buying Apple products if they try to be like Bose. Bose makes the most overpriced audio equipment on the market.

1)I have been in the market for an AVR for awhile now...and all the Airplay models are complete garbage. The functionality is so barebones once you start reading the owners' manuals or asking the manufacture questions in advance.

2)I don't want just another "dock" that my iXYZ sits in...I want a more complete package that does not rely on my handheld device.

3)I never said Bose was cheap...I said similar to the Bose product lines...Bose has a great lineup of simple, living room friendly systems. Yes, they are pricey. Hmmmm...any other company out there ever been labeled as pricey? Hmmmmmm... oh yea... Apple.

Sheeeez.

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
questioning what Apple is GOING to release in the future that is NOT just another iOS handheld device.

Milk is awesome. But let's face it. The dairy industry is going to fail if they don't do something new. Cheese? No, it was cool back in the 3rd century. We'd better see some more dairy options by 2013 or people are just going to stop drinking milk.

basesloaded190

macrumors 68030
Oct 16, 2007
Wisconsin
1)I have been in the market for an AVR for awhile now...and all the Airplay models are complete garbage. The functionality is so barebones once you start reading the owners' manuals or asking the manufacture questions in advance.

2)I don't want just another "dock" that my iXYZ sits in...I want a more complete package that does not rely on my handheld device.

3)I never said Bose was cheap...I said similar to the Bose product lines...Bose has a great lineup of simple, living room friendly systems. Yes, they are pricey. Hmmmm...any other company out there ever been labeled as pricey? Hmmmmmm... oh yea... Apple.

Sheeeez.

The difference is that Apple doesn't put out garbage for the higher prices they charge like Bose.

I have heard nothing but good things from companies like Denon, Pioneer and Marantz, with their airplay implementation.

This doesn't look like it's that difficult: http://usa.denon.com/us/Airplayus/airplay-instructions-AVR-4311CI_3311CI.pdf

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Ummm....did I say I had the ideas? It's not my job to run Apple as far as I checked.

This thread was to question what is APPLE DOING rather than what I may have for new product tips.

But here are a few ideas for Apple that I have had a few years now:

1)Where's the true living room experience? A real stereo receiver with loss-less quality and integration? All Apple has managed to do is let me plug my iXXX into my receiver's Stereo IN jack. Recently the Apple Air (or whatever it's called) has answered about 10% of the solution. Since Apple is very consumer electronics focused, why not be like Bose and have a nice lineup of home A/V products?

<snip>

3)How about a gaming platform? Apple's been pitching games since the Touch arrived and there are no serious games. Why not have some $399 box like Xbox or PS3 or Wii or whatever else?

1. Your ears don't hear in digital. Sounds are analogue vibrations. All sound systems involve translating digital to analogue. Thus, it's impossible to create a loseless audio system. Besides, people's ears have different hearing responses to different sounds.

3. In reality, iOS is already slowing killing old school gaming platforms such as Nintendo.

Melrose

Suspended
Dec 12, 2007
Care to tell us what Apple released that was earth shattering? Please don't say the iPad...it's the iPhone/Touch that's 4 times the size.

You don't get the purpose of the iPad and appear to be closed minded as to suggestions otherwise.

no offense man, but...

/thread

zewazir

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
The first iPod was introduced in October, 2001. It defined MP3 players.

The first iPhone was released June, 2007. It defined the smart phone.

iPad was introduced in March, 2010. It defined the tablet, and at the same time pretty much gutted the netbook market.

It is now June, 2012. Not even 3 years since iPad as introduced.

I think it would be reasonable to wait a while longer before forecasting doom because Apple has not WOWed the world with a new device for (GASP!!) over two whole years!!

In short, get real. I certainly hope Apple has something new and exciting in their R&D labs, though realistically their current line of products, if simply updated eery 9-18 months to up with current technology, would keep any other company operating in the black indefinitely. But I do love it when they come out with something that leaves everyone, from customers to competition, gasping for air.

But to get whiny because nothing brand-spanking, industry-defining new has come out for over TWO WHOLE YEARS is well past the line of being plain ridiculous. Me, I'll be more than satisfied with upgrades to their entire Mac line in the coming year, plus updates to their other products on a reasonable schedule, and won't be too worried about them WOWing the world with an industry-shattering product for at least a couple more years yet.

niuniu

macrumors 68020
Best thing Apple did was that App store. You have kids runnin around dreaming of cool things to make your life better and starter dev kits for them to have a go at making it happen.

Very much a case of give a man a fish/ teach him how to fish. You'll see great things simply because the empowerment devs have now.

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
The first iPod was introduced in October, 2001. It defined MP3 players.

The first iPhone was released June, 2007. It defined the smart phone.

iPad was introduced in March, 2010. It defined the tablet, and at the same time pretty much gutted the netbook market.

It is now June, 2012. Not even 3 years since iPad as introduced.

I think it would be reasonable to wait a while longer before forecasting doom because Apple has not WOWed the world with a new device for (GASP!!) over two whole years!!

1)I agree that the iPad was introduced in early 2010...but come on, the iPad was not earth-shattering from any kind of technology standpoint...it was the logical step in the iPhone, iPod Touch generation...something PHYSICALLY larger but has the same iOS and does 90% of the same thing.

2)I would rather state that iOS was really the last cool thing that Apple invented...much longer than 3 years ago. Again, the iPhone, Touch, and iPad all share 90% of the features/functionality...it's just the current physical limitations of the device.

Is the iPad extremely successful? Sure. But to me it's just a 4x larger iPhone or Touch. Seriously. The people that have never seen or used an iPhone or Touch (which are far fewer people now than in early 2010) are obviously very impressed with the iPad. But for the large percentage of people that HAVE already used or owned a Touch or iPhone simply see the iPad as a 4x larger device. Is it cool? Sure. Does it serve its purpose? Yes. But at the end of the day it's still an XL version of the Touch.

I'm not belittling the iPad from a user adoption point of view...but all the last great R&D props should go to iOS and the iPhone. The Touch received the iPhone's technology years later when Apple figured out that there are millions of folks who wanted an iPhone without the phone and without the ATT lockin. Years later Apple figured out that they could quadruple the size of the Touch, slap a new name on it, and call it a tablet. That's fair...it's marketing spin. But it's not a technological advancement when you compare it to the iPhone or Touch.

I'm not saying Apple IS CURRENTLY IN doom and gloom...I just don't see what Apple is going to come up with within a few years...it's all been the iTunes/iOS gravy train...and that train will eventually go so far. The TV rumor has been around for a long time and I stated my opinion about the ATV, the new TV, etc. earlier.

Last edited:

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
1)
I'm not saying Apple IS CURRENTLY IN doom and gloom...I just don't see what Apple is going to come up with within a few years...it's all been the iTunes/iOS gravy train...and that train will eventually go so far. The TV rumor has been around for a long time and I stated my opinion about the ATV, the new TV, etc. earlier.

So, your point is that you don't know what Apple - a company renowned for its high levels of secrecy - is going to do next?

That's kind of the point. That's how Apple operates. Just because you can't guess what they're working on does not mean that they are out of ideas. :rolleyes:

Let's not forget that Apple has basically created an entire new generation of notebooks with the MacBook Air (a fact you seem intent on ignoring and/or pretending doesn't matter). I'll wager they've also just created a new generation of mobile workstations: you can bet retina display portables are coming from Toshiba, Dell, etc. within a year.

And there's always the TV rumour... But because that's been floating around for a while it doesn't mean anything? The iPhone rumour was around for a long time before it was released, too...

ericinboston

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 13, 2008
So, your point is that you don't know what Apple - a company renowned for its high levels of secrecy - is going to do next?

That's kind of the point. That's how Apple operates. Just because you can't guess what they're working on does not mean that they are out of ideas. :rolleyes:

Let's not forget that Apple has basically created an entire new generation of notebooks with the MacBook Air (a fact you seem intent on ignoring and/or pretending doesn't matter). I'll wager they've also just created a new generation of mobile workstations: you can bet retina display portables are coming from Toshiba, Dell, etc. within a year.

1)I am ASKING if Apple is out of ideas. I am trying to solicit some feedback from folks here on their views. People have asked me to give some ideas and I have. But I wonder if Apple is going to just churn out more iOS stuff over the next 2-3 years (new iPhones, iPads, Touches, maybe some Retina iMacs/laptops as it's quite odd that a $499 iPad and $199 iPhone has Retina but $1199 iMacs do not and the only laptop that does costs $2200). Macs will (hopefully) be updated each year.

2)What about the Air? How has it created a new generation of laptops? Simply by shoving an SSD in it?...or that it's very lightweight? Apple obsesses with weight and form factor on everything they make. Laptops from every vendor, every year, get faster, better, smaller, more lightweight, etc. as well as new "lines" of laptops. I really don't see the big deal about the Air other than it's extremely lightweight and has an SSD. If that's important to you AND you like Macs, buy it. Personally, a 13" laptop screen is just too small...and reminds me of the laptops of 1995.

On a side note, the Bose bashers on this thread...I'm not a Bose loyalist but my 8 year old noise-cancelling headphones still rock...and our 3+ year old Wave system is great. Is Bose pricey? Sure. So is Apple. But the Bose stuff just works...looks nice...and is easy to use. Their speakers are great. If Bose released "garbage" as many of you claimed, they would not still be in business after 50+ years.

Demosthenes X

macrumors 68000
Oct 21, 2008
1)I am ASKING if Apple is out of ideas. I am trying to solicit some feedback from folks here on their views. People have asked me to give some ideas and I have. But I wonder if Apple is going to just churn out more iOS stuff over the next 2-3 years (new iPhones, iPads, Touches, maybe some Retina iMacs/laptops as it's quite odd that a $499 iPad and $199 iPhone has Retina but $1199 iMacs do not and the only laptop that does costs $2200). Macs will (hopefully) be updated each year.

Answer: no.

It's hardly "odd" that only one Mac line has a retina display: before Monday, none of them did. They'll likely roll them out across the lineup as time goes on. Hey, wait - that's an idea! So I guess Apple isn't "out of ideas" at all.

:rolleyes:

2)What about the Air? How has it created a new generation of laptops? Simply by shoving an SSD in it?...or that it's very lightweight? Apple obsesses with weight and form factor on everything they make. Laptops from every vendor, every year, get faster, better, smaller, more lightweight, etc. as well as new "lines" of laptops. I really don't see the big deal about the Air other than it's extremely lightweight and has an SSD. If that's important to you AND you like Macs, buy it. Personally, a 13" laptop screen is just too small...and reminds me of the laptops of 1995.

So the multitude of new notebooks that bear a striking resemblance to the Air is just a huge coincidence? Do you really believe that? I think it's pretty clear Apple started a trend with the MBA. And they did it by doing more than simply "shoving an SSD in it". It's not a traditional SSD, for starters. And whether you personally want a 13" screen ir not is irrelevant.

This entire thread suggests an ignorance of how Apple operates and why...

On a side note, the Bose bashers on this thread...I'm not a Bose loyalist but my 8 year old noise-cancelling headphones still rock...and our 3+ year old Wave system is great. Is Bose pricey? Sure. So is Apple. But the Bose stuff just works...looks nice...and is easy to use. Their speakers are great. If Bose released "garbage" as many of you claimed, they would not still be in business after 50+ years.

McDonald's sells a lot of hamburgers. That doesn't make them good. ;)

The point with Bose is that better alternatives exist for the same price, and equivalent sound quality can be had for less. And yes, you can apply the same kind of argument to Apple.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
2)Building on #1, Apple hasn't introduced anything earth shattering since the iPhone and even then Apple released the iPod Touch which is the iPhone minus the phone. Again, iOS is the same no matter what device you're on, limited by hardware characteristics of course. The new Macs that roll out ever year? Nah...Apple has basically given up on the Mac line. And why has it been well over a year since an iMac update?...without even the foggiest hint of at LEAST a release date? Sure, Apple will gladly take your money if you choose a Mac, but Apple has clearly no intention of being a computer company...Apple wants to be a consumer electronics company like Sony that also dabbles in computers...and that's perfectly fine.

Until TV's, they're not gonna blow up any new markets. But since the iPhone they've been innovating in other ways. If all you do is focus on the products you miss it. IE after the iPhone they created the app store, which is now the standard distribution model for putting stuff on your mobile device. Before that, people were hooking up their phones to their computers and copying cab files to load software. SIRI runs like crap right now but as someone with a background in AI, I can tell you it's a big deal and good luck to other companies trying to copy it. iCloud is a nice backend feature that makes users more vested into the ecosystem. It's nice not having to do a manual sync.

3)There have been rumors for a long time about how Apple is somehow going to revolutionize television. This started years ago when Apple released the AppleTV (which I just bought since they finally incorporated 1080p when the 1080p technology has been on every HD tv since 2001). The last year or so it's been more focused on some magical TV. So Apple is now going to kill AppleTV or???? There's going to be some expensive (let's face it, it's not going to be cheap) Apple branded HD tv that we buy that somehow makes us feel "wow, the last 20+ years of how I watched TV was sooooo difficult or annoying")? I don't believe it. I have my dvr functionality...I have hd offerings...I have a trillion channels on the lowest cable package...I have program guides to help me find things...I have premium channels if I want them. I really don't see how an Apple experience is going to make me that much happier...or what the backlash will be from my ISP if I now start "streaming" all my tv content over the "internet connection" instead of using their dedicated tv infrastructure.

Everyone's focusing on the TV and the TV's feature set. If all Apple does is put out a branded TV, they're probably gonna fail. I expect them to go beyond that and revamp the whole business model behind TV using that disruptive technology known as the internet. IE you have a trillion channels on the lowest cable package, meaning you pay for a ton of channels you don't even care about. Meanwhile, if you want something like HBO, you need to buy a more expensive bundle. Why? Because the cable providers say you have to and that's the way it's been for the last X decades. If Apple can use internet distribution to give you the channels you want at a lower price (IE instead of paying $100 just to get HBO on your TV, you only have to pay $20 and you don't have to rent a cable box or pay for a technician to come over and run coax through your house), people will switch because it has better value.

They already did this stuff with music. Used to be you had to pay $15 in a record store to buy an LP. Now you can buy one for $10 off iTunes.

zewazir

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2012
1)I agree that the iPad was introduced in early 2010...but come on, the iPad was not earth-shattering from any kind of technology standpoint...it was the logical step in the iPhone, iPod Touch generation...something PHYSICALLY larger but has the same iOS and does 90% of the same thing.
Well, maybe the iPad was the "next logical step" in the iPhone/iPod series. However, for most of the rest of the world, including the majority of Apple fans and supporters, the anticipation/call was for Apple to get into the netbook market on a price competitive level. Instead, Apple redefined the tablet market while all-but ignoring the netbook market. Was it anticipated? Yes. But just because it was anticipated (how well do we remember the multitude of discussions over virtual keyboard sizes and other factors of a larger screen iPod Touch) does not mean it was not innovative. It certainly took much of the other computing market by surprise, leaving them yet again playing catch up.

The problem with being a geek type who follows all the rumor mills, rumor blogs, rumor-this and rumor-that, not a lot will take us by surprise. Latest case, the new MBP. How many discussion were there about retina displays, removing the optical drive, replacing larger ports with smaller plus dongles, etc. So when the item was finally announced, how many of us were taken aback?

OTOH, for the MAJORITY of the world, who do NOT follow the rumors, the latest MBP is a wow machine. And the iPad 1, was also a wow machine.

cube

Suspended
May 10, 2004
I don't see why I should downgrade to any Lion.

What I want is Rosetta.

AppleScruff1

macrumors G4
Feb 10, 2011
You must not have been in the market for a AVR lately, because every receiver you can buy has either a dedicated dock/USB Port/Air Play/ iOS APP. I will stop buying Apple products if they try to be like Bose. Bose makes the most overpriced audio equipment on the market.

Actually Apple and Bose have a lot in common.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I don't think Apple has to constantly release products as groundbreaking as the iPod or iPhone to be successful; they just need to focus on their products and make sure it's better than the competition's. There's a ton of companies with histories far longer than Apple's... and they survived and are successful by offering consumers good products and adapting to market and societal changes.

If anything, constantly releasing groundbreaking products can be as much a detriment to a company as not releasing anything. Can you imagine what would have happened to Apple after they spent millions on R&D, marketing, etc for the iPod or iPhone... only to have it fail on an epic level?

And as some thoughts on your suggestions/questions:

1)Where's the true living room experience? A real stereo receiver with loss-less quality and integration?
The interesting thing with audio equipment is that old-school technology is still king in many aspects. There's been millions of advances in technology...yet things like vacuum tube amplifiers are still highly desired and prized.

Additionally, when Apple introduced the iPod or iPhone, they were still producing products that had roots in the technology/computer world. Audio equipment is a very different world and Apple's previous attempts to get into this area were pretty big failures (remember the iPod Hi-fi?).

That being said, if the upcoming Apple TV ends up being successful, I can potentially see Apple branching out into this area. But highly unlikely IMO.

And as a side note, in the audio world, Bose is actually kind of looked down upon... so maybe trying to be like Bose isn't a good thing. ;)

2)More personal computer desktop options. iMac is nice but it forces me to dump my nice LCD monitor and invest $1000+ in Apple. How about bringing back some more of the traditional desktops where I can buy the Apple box and use my wonderful monitor for years? The Mini is an answer, but it's about $900 once you add the keyboard, mouse, and any converters to work with your monitor...not to mention the deathly slow 5400RPM drive and obvious hardware limitations due to its size.

I know that's been a common criticism of Apple. But introducing a new desktop is hardly a groundbreaking product (which is what you were asking for before). If you don't consider the iPad innovative, then neither will a new desktop be innovative. Also, another desktop option would likely cannibalize sales from the Mini, iMac, and the Mac Pro. Add in the R&D costs and it doesn't appear to be a good financial move from my perspective.

3)How about a gaming platform? Apple's been pitching games since the Touch arrived and there are no serious games. Why not have some $399 box like Xbox or PS3 or Wii or whatever else?

Apple has greatly impacted the gaming world with their iDevices. Before, it was expected to buy a $400 console and spend $60 per game. Because of Apple, $1, $5, $10 games became readily available and satisfied enough casual gamers that MS, Sony, and Nintendo have been struggling to keep sales of their games up. Mobile consoles like the 3DS have struggled too.

Also, Apple, once upon a time, released a console. It failed.

That being said, I remember reading something about Tim Cook visiting Valve recently. I wonder if perhaps Apple will integrate something into its TV...

Or perhaps a console is actually in the works..... But that's the catch. Even if Apple is working on the most revolutionary console of all time... given Apple's secrecy, we won't know of it until it is released (or near release). They may appear to be out of ideas... but we won't know for sure until we can see Apple's actions in hindsight.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.